May 2012 Moms
Options

Flu Shot

Hi ladies,

Just a lurker here... called the pedi to sign DS1 up to get his flu shot in November. They asked if we wanted to do the shot or the mist that they spray up their nose. I did some reading and I guess the mist isn't offered younger than two, which explains why I never had to think about this option before. I also read that the mist has the weak living virus in it, so it is thought to be more effective, but also could result in a slight increase in side effects. The shot, on the other hand, contains dead flu virus.

I like the idea of the mist and you would think it'd be easier on them, but I actually was thinking it may be easier for DS1 to get stabbed with the needle real quick before he knows what is going on than it would be to wrestle his little butt down and attempt to spray something up his nose... I mean, I've tried the nose freida with this kid, he's like a wild animal.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you ladies have had to make this decision and what factors lead you to choose one over the other?

Thanks for your input!

Re: Flu Shot

• Options
    I opted for the shot for DS. I have heard that the mist may be more effective in young children, but I did the mist for myself last year and hated it. My nose hurt for a week.
  • Options
    Thank you for that info! That's good to know - I hadn't thought about the mist actually hurting!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This hasn't come up yet for me, but just reading it all I could think of is how for all of the animals I work with, we always do their needle vaccine first and the nasal vaccine very last because they get so angry about it, we want it to be the last step. Just my experience with that alone would never entice me to give DD anything up her nose. lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    selockarselockar member
    edited October 2014
    Both of my kids have respiratory issues, so they can't have the mist. I don't think I would have given it anyway. They both could care less about getting shots. No need to mess with that.
  • Options

Yeah, they mentioned any breathing issues like asthma, etc would rule out the nasal spray option.

I am definitely thinking his reaction may be better with a quick shot than getting sprayed in the nose... thank you for your thoughts, ladies! I'll ask the nurse's opinion when we go in (Nov 1st) and update with any information I get.

• Options
    Also know they are contagious for 48-72 hours after the mist
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"