Toddlers: 24 Months+

Trouble w/Transitions

My 2.5 yr old is really starting to have trouble with the various daily transitions. The biggest issue we are having is leaving DC.  I usually go and get DS and he is on the playground with all the other toddlers.  As soon as he sees me he runs to me and hugs me and seems ready to go.  As soon as we are back inside the DC building he loses his sh*t.  He will lay on the floor limp, crawl around, and generally give me those screw you eyes Im not going anywhere.  The trouble is I have to go and get my 1 yr old too.  The last few weeks he has wanted me to carry both of them (which sometimes I do just do to get out the door) UGH!  The last couple of times I have left him in the entry way of DC (which is a closed off safe area with windows looking out on to my car) taken my 1 yr old and buckled her in and then gone back for him and carried him out screaming crying.

I would love for this pattern to stop and for us to leave happy.  Tonight I may try bringing him inside and taking the time to get down on his level and allow him the option to play for one minute or show me a favorite toy before we leave.  The play room is empty since all kids are typically outside so this would allow some clam one on one time.  Then once we have played for one minute it is time to go...maybe that will help make the transition more smooth and predictable for him?  

Any thoughts or tips?  What has worked for you?

Thanks!!
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Trouble w/Transitions

• Is he always outside when you pick him up? Or does this happen when they are in doors as well? My DS always gives me a hard time when I pick him up during outside play, but any other time is fine. Could you ask the teacher when they usually come and go from play time and pick him up a few minutes earlier or later to avoid interrupting him?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Depending on weather they are outside on the playground or they have an indoor jungle gym area.  So either way they are going to be playing.  Unfortunately I don't have a ton of flexibility on the time I pick him up.  I pick him up almost the same time each day, around 5:15 and they close at 6.  That last hour of the day they spend on the jungle gyms.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know if this will help, but I tend to let my kid play an extra minute or two once I get there, so it's not "mom's here, fun's over."  I don't know exactly how your school works, and I only have one, but would it be possible for you to check in with him, "hi I'm here!  I'm going to go pick up (1 year old) and when I come back it'll be time to go."  Then I'd grab all his stuff before heading back to the playground so he goes straight from playground to car.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Its mostly just leaving DC.  He sleeps AWESOME, hes my best sleeper.  And no, timing of pick up can't really change.  I can't get him any earlier and picking up later only prolongs when we get home for him and his sister to eat so the later I pick up the worse shape they are all in.  I did try giving him a "job" one day and that did work.  I told him he had the very important job of holding mommys keys and hitting the unlock button so that I could strap in the baby and that worked one day but it didn't work the next day.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"