School-Aged Children
Options

Is this a good activity for a 5 yr old bday?

DS is having his bday party at the ymca. We will have 1 hour in the gym with a bouncy house, floor hockey, gymnastics mats and a parachute. Then we have 1 hour in the party room. The party is from 2-4 so we'll be serving snacks then cake. We will also open gifts. I feel like 1 hour is a lot of time to kill with snacks and gifts, so I thought maybe I'd have a craft ready for kids to do to fill time.

I came across this "decorate a superhero mask" idea and thought it would be good? WDYT?

There will be approx 10 5/6 year olds and possibly a few 2/3 year olds. I would cut everything out ahead of time and have glue sticks for the kids to glue pieces on and maybe crayons if they want to color them as well. Think this seems like a reasonable activity for the group? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is this a good activity for a 5 yr old bday?

• Options
    Sure, it sounds fun- DS did a similar project (with fun foam/plastic capes) at Zoo camp as a brand new 6yo the summer before last and had a lot of fun (all the kids, 6-8 seemed to). I think the capes were made from cheap table covers, the stuck fun foam shapes onto them to decorate them.

If you can find any sticky foam shapes that would work well, you could skip cutting out all those little things and glue sticks.

Great idea about the foam stickers! That would make things a lot easier! I have a month so I'll start hunting!! Also, the table cloth capes sound awesome as well!

• Options
    Oriental Trading has this kit:
    https://www.orientaltrading.com/superhero-mask-craft-kit-a2-13604549.fltr

I bet you could find something similar in craft stores, too. GL!

Those are great! I'm in Canada so I'll have to do some searching for something that won't break the bank in shipping! Lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like a good party!  Parents may come back a little early to see if the party is winding down anyway.

Have fun!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Sounds like fun :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    That is a great idea and can also serve as a favor :)

I agree that is a long time. Usually those parties do 1 hour play time, and 30-45 mins max for food/cake. If there isn't time because of the craft, you can skip gift opening
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"