Illinois Babies

SEEKING Suburb Advice (moving into the area)

Hi everyone, my husband and I (and 2.5 year old) are moving to the Chicagoland area from Minneapolis in the next few weeks.  My husband's job will be up in Skokie and I will likely be near Rosemont.

I would love pros and cons of the following areas (and recommendations for any other areas to consider).

1. Park Ridge
2. Glenview
3. Mount Prospect
4. Arlington Heights

I am having complete sticker shock with the price of housing, but I also do not want to live way far out there after having been used to having a SFH within city limits in Minneapolis (best of both worlds).

Luckily, we can stay with my in-laws out in Crystal Lake while we are transitioning, selling our home in MN, and looking for a new home in IL!

Appreciate the insights and advice :)

Re: SEEKING Suburb Advice (moving into the area)

• GL and welcome to the area! Glenview is very nice and family friendly but expensive. In our price range (600k and under) we were mainly seeing older homes in need for renovation. Also some nice townhomes. I like AH (but do not live there). Family friendly, nice downtown with an express train to downtown. You would get more for you money there. GL! There are some very nice suburbs but everything will depend on your budget. If you are working with a realtor, I'd explore all of the areas you mentioned and she what works for you.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• I would recommend this site - it's great for real estate and property questions. Each time I moved in the area they were a wealth of info. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Loading the player...
  • @zoocrewmom - cool site!
    @sarbs81107 - That's great you have a place to stay so you're not too rushed.  You really can't go wrong in any of the suburbs you mentioned so really try to focus on your must haves and what's really important to you.  Also, once you decide on a town, have you considered renting for a year to decide if you like it before you plunk down money on a house? just a thought. Be sure to take some time and look at train schedules if you think you'd be able to take the train, and get familiar with the names of the roads and average commute times on the local news sites.

I like AH for the downtown area that it has, lots of restaurants and some shops, little parks with concerts every week in summer. It has the feel of being a city (although on a smaller scale), but in the burbs. Also aside from its own shopping areas, location wise, it's between the shopping around Schaumburg and the shopping around Mount Prospect. There are homes in all price ranges depending on where in AH you look. AH's boundaries run more north - south, not as wide E - W, so the further North you look, the further away from Hwy 14, I-90, the metra, etc..you'll be, which you may want to consider if hubby is in Skokie and you're in Rosemont.

Mount Prospect is also nice, has a little downtown area as well and I hear they're trying to work on future plans to expand their downtown.  Park Ridge also has a downtown that is busy and is a little closer to the city. I don't know too much about it.  All 3 of those suburbs are on Northwest Hwy (14) so if you go exploring when you're here, you can basically just stay on 14 and hit all 3. All have Metra stops, area close to O'Hare (handy for friends who visit) and all have good schools from what I understand. 

Glenview I know the least about other than that's where we bought one of our cars! :)

Good Luck!
    Me:41  DH: 46 high count but poor motility & morphology
    TTC on and off since 2005

July 2012: Infertility tests started at OB/Gyn, HSG and HSN all clear
    Sept 2012: IUI #1 w/Clomid - BFN
    Oct 2012: IUI #2 w/Clomid - cancelled due to cyst
    Nov 2012: IUI #3 w/Clomid - BFN
    Break to move and find new PCP, OB/Gyn & RE
    Sept 2013: first appt with RE
    Nov / Dec 2013: IVF #1 with ICSI split
      Dec 6: Retrieval, 4 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized
      Dec 11: Transferred 1 (Day 5)
      Dec 30:  HCG Beta, 4980. BFP!
     1 little bean!
    EDD: August 28 30 2014
    LO Arrived! August 31 2014

All Welcome!

image image
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved from Wisconsin to Illinois 3 years ago. The house prices aren't what shocked us but it was the property taxes which are INSANE! I live in a Suburb(Yorkville) which is too far from where your looking to live. Good Luck on your move!
  • Thanks everyone!  We just landed with my in-laws in Crystal Lake this past week and have been house hunting furiously.  We are definitely considering renting since inventory is very low, and we don't want to rush and compromise!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"