New York Babies

St. Anthony's, ORMC or Good Sam?

ebalkitsebalkits member
edited July 2021 in New York Babies
I'm due in November and will be moving to the Monroe area soon.  I'm not sure which hospital has the best birthing center.  Please let me know of your experience (good or bad) and if you have any good ob/gyn recommendations affiliated with these hospitals, that would be great!
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: St. Anthony's, ORMC or Good Sam?

• Thanks for your input!  I will definitely check out that practice.  Any specific OB/GYNs you like?  Also, which pediatrician will you be using?
  • I go to Crystal Run Healthcare in the Warwick office and have met 3 of the 4 doctors there, all of whom I really like! I plan to deliver at SACH and will be touring later this month. I'd suggest you set up a tour for the 3 hospitals you're considering so you can get a better feel too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies for your input!  We are looking mostly in the Monroe area :)
  • I used Ramapo Valley OBGYN and I had mostly a good experience. The office staff is nice and easy to get appointments.  The doctors are also nice.  It was really convenient for me because I live in Monroe.  I told several of the doctors that I thought the baby was breech and they all told me she wasn't.  At 38 weeks, I found out that she was actually breech and I that I had to have a c-section.  So I wasn't so happy about that.  My Good Sam experience was ok, but I had nothing to compare it to.  My mother felt that I didn't get enough attention.  They also gave my baby a bottle, when I was trying to breastfeed.  I think if I were to have another baby, I would look for someone associated with Valley Hospital in NJ.  I hear great things about them. 

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• KerCo51 said:
    I used Ramapo Valley OBGYN and I had mostly a good experience. The office staff is nice and easy to get appointments.  The doctors are also nice.  It was really convenient for me because I live in Monroe.  I told several of the doctors that I thought the baby was breech and they all told me she wasn't.  At 38 weeks, I found out that she was actually breech and I that I had to have a c-section.  So I wasn't so happy about that.  My Good Sam experience was ok, but I had nothing to compare it to.  My mother felt that I didn't get enough attention.  They also gave my baby a bottle, when I was trying to breastfeed.  I think if I were to have another baby, I would look for someone associated with Valley Hospital in NJ.  I hear great things about them. 
    Thanks for the info on Good Sam.  I actually had my daughter in Valley and did not have the best experience.  The nurses were great, but after being induced for 30+ hours, when I finally went into active labor I was not able to receive an epidural for 2 hours because the anestesiologist (not sure of spelling) was busy with other patients.  That was the most excruciating 2 hours of my life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Afterwards, I was put into the tiniest room and our air conditioning didn't work properly in the middle of a heat wave (the temp kept fluctuating from 55 degrees to 85).  We couldn't switch to any other rooms because they were all booked with other patients until the morning we checked out, which obviously wasn't all that helpful.
  • Late to the party too, but figured I'd add my two cents since others may also be looking for information.

I also go to Ramapo Valley Ob/Gyn and I've always been really happy with them.  I like all the doctors there.  Between my two kids, I've had labor/delivery experience with three of them and was very happy.  Good Sam, on the other hand, I wasn't crazy about.  I feel like everything there is really old.  Both times I was there, the beds make incredibly loud screeching sounds whenever I moved them up/down.  There was nowhere for my husband to sleep, the chairs for visitors were uncomfortable, and I had problems with getting meals served as well.  Also, I found a pacifier in my daughter's bassinet which I wasn't crazy about--I was trying to breastfeed and they never even asked me my preference on giving pacifiers.

Also, we use Washingtonville Pediatrics and LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the info! We decided on going with Crystal Run Healthcare and will be delivering at ORMC. I'm due November 16th, so we'll see how it goes. We also decided on Monroe Pediatrics but haven't been in to see them yet.
  • I used crystal run and ormc w my first and had the best experience there. They are fantastic. I was totally amazed at how great the nurses were and the hospital was clean and had huge rooms. I just moved to rockland and am sad I won't be using them this time around. Good luck!!
  • Glad to hear of a positive experience :)
  • lmd10lmd10 member
    edited February 2015
     said:
    We have met 3 out of the 4 OB's so far, and have liked each of them.
    We're looking into Monroe Pediatrics.
    Where are you moving to?
    Old post-I know but we use monroe peds And love them. Also delivered at good sam with ramapo valley obgyn. I definitely love the obgyns but good sam dropped the ball in patient care. They forgot to feed me breakfast after delivering past dinner time at 8 pm the night before..... took them 3 hours to rectify. I was most Definitely not a priority there. Good luck!!!

Sorry I know this is an old post, but I came across it and had to reply when I saw this-  They didn't give me breakfast either!  Which delayed my pain meds after my C-section because they wouldn't give them to me on an empty stomach.  Nurses were zero help (some very rude) and I checked myself out of there asap because I knew I would recover better at home.  They also COMPLETELY ignored any of my personal requests (nothing absurd, I am just a very private person and they did not respect that at all).  My room was disgusting- dirty, walls were a mess, doors falling off of cabinets.  I took pictures!  When I arrived at the hospital in labor and went to change into a gown, there were dirty used linens on the bathroom floor.  I was very disappointed.    I also used Ramapo Valley and loved 3 of the 4 doctors!  Of course, as luck would have it, I went into labor when the one I do NOT like was on call.  I would love to stay with this group as my OB/GYN, but not sure it's worth it to have to deliver at Good Sam with any future pregnancies as well as risk getting stuck with the awful doctor.  If anyone needs any further details, feel free to let me know!   Thanks for posting suggestions on here, I'll be sure to look into them if I search for a new doctor!
  • OP here and thought I'd give my two cents now that I delivered!  Had the baby at ORMC and went with Crystal Run Healthcare for my OB/Gyn.  Of course, the doctor that delivered me was not one that I had met before, but I ended up liking her (Dr. Tod).  As for my experience at ORMC...the hospital was very clean which I liked and the nurses were very nice.  I did not like that we had to go the emergency room when we arrived since I went into labor after 9pm.  We had to wait in the ER for about 15 minutes for somebody to get me, which is not fun when you're in active labor and not to mention the germ factor.  This was my second child and the big difference I found between ORMC and Valley, was that the nurses at Valley were much better at training parents on basic infant care (e.g., bathing, suctioning, swaddling, umbilical chord care, etc.).  Even though this was my second, it would've been nice to have a refresher on these things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"