November 2014 Moms
Options

STMs - Remembering labor

I feel like kind of a dope about this, but I don't really remember what labor was like. I remember that it was very painful (shocker), and I remember some of the sensations of using hypnobabies. But when I read, "you'll know when you're really in labor," I think, really? Because I've been through real labor unmedicated and I don't know what it feels like.... I've been having some BH and I'm not sure I'm going to know when it turns into productive contractions!

No real question, just wondering if other S+TMs have better memories than I do.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: STMs - Remembering labor

• Options

I feel like I've forgotten a lot too. Everything has felt so different this time with more general hip pain and BH (which I never felt with DS). I keep telling myself I will remember when active labor starts

Yeah, I'm thinking that once labor starts I might be like, OH NOW I REMEMBER! Lol. It's just hard to think back and really put myself back in that situation.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced, so I don't know what it's like to go into labor on my own. I have vague memories of the whole experience after I was induced. I know it hurt, but the whole thing is really a blur. This time around my Braxton Hicks are a lot more painful and intense than they were last time. My doctor says this is normal and kind of a muscle memory thing, if that makes sense. I was talking to a girl last week who said hers were more painful and intense the second time too. She said she didn't know it when she actually went into labor beause it wasn't much different than what she had been experiencing for months. I thought, great...that will totally be me unless I get lucky enough to have my water break. So, I am sorry I am no help, but I am kind of in the same boat as you.
  • Options
    I don't really remember either. I know my second was way more intense. I had a flash of memory the other night how the pain radiated down into my thighs, and I remember thinking that the pushing kind of felt like throwing up except downwards. But these are totally detached thoughts, I can't really conjure the feelings at all.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    When my labor started this Saturday, I recognized the pattern from my labor with Ds1 - pelvic pressure, general crampy feeling , then the realization that the cramps were coming in waves(contractions). To me the contractions are like horrible period cramps.

• Options
    I agree with @MuchlyGen.    I remember the detached thoughts, but I cannot conjure up the actual feelings.  (And thank God for that.  ;)

My early real contractions were different than BH.  Although yeah.  I cannot really remember precisely how.  As they grew stronger, they became back labour.  And I remember saying "It feels like a blow torch is on full blast and an inch away from my sacrum."    It wasn't enjoyable.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    I knew right way is was in labor with my second even though it was very different from my first.  With my first my water broke so there was no question about "am I in labor."  The contractions didn't start out painful but they were very different from my BH.  They were much lower, as in on/in my vagina/cervix.  They did hurt but not bad until much later.  I also labored at home for a long time instead of heading to the hospital at my first contraction.
  • Options
    Im a STM and its all new to me. My water broke but I have never felt a contraction.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hellosweety18hellosweety18 member
    edited October 2014
    I was one of the ones who had my water break first! It was crazy, I was laying in bed and actually heard it! Anyway from there I just remember it progressing like worse and worse period cramps, definitely different than my BH! Then of course there is the fact that they are much more regular!
  • Options
    My water broke with my first and then immediate intense contractions...and fast. There was no question. Now I'm all like, "What's all this 5-1-1, 3-1-1 business?!?" I need to brush up on my labor warnings again because in my head I keep thinking it's going to happen the exact same way...yea, probably not!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced with my 1st & it was hell!! Praying this little girl just decides to come the way nature intended!!
  • Options
    This pregnancy has been SO different! I have no idea what's going on. I was induced with my daughter and never had any contractions before I got to the hospital. I've had so many contractions with this little guy most I could tell were BH, but some of them I've had to time. I sometimes feel like I can feel myself dialating. When I was induced the doctors told me I couldn't feel it, but I told them I could and I was right! And I've felt that same feeling at times lately. One night I was almost certain he was coming. My contractions were steady for a couple hours. I even felt almost the same feeling I got right before they broke my water last time. I had a lot of pressure, but in between contractions I had a snack and then everything suddenly stopped and I went to sleep! I was relieved. I'm not done cooking yet, but now I'm really concerned I'm not going to have a clue when to go in!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my first labor I was induced and I went from 0 to 60 in less than a minute from the pitocen so there was nothing gradual about it and no patterns for me to remember this time around. 

I've been having a lot of pretty uncomfortable braxton hicks this time around (STM) but assured myself I would know the difference when the time came. However yesterday I began having what I would have considered "real" contractions, they started by making me feel like I needed to have a bad bowel movement then spread into my lower back and then into my abdomen, feeling like horrific period cramps. They were semi-regular for a little bit but once I went to bed pretty much fizzled away.  

Now I feel like I don't know how I will know the difference, maybe the only thing will be that they will be more regular and time-able and eventually unbearable? I've read a lot that you know when it's really happening because the contractions come in regular intervals and you can't talk through them, and then you know it's time. In a way I'm glad I will have trouble identifying it because it will probably allow me to labor longer at home which was a goal of mine.
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited October 2014
    I remember the sensations, which were different with my non-pitocin induced births. With my first, I remember the feeling of moderate menstrual cramps, and I had a constant low, dull backache. But they never became really painful or super strong.

And with my second, no pitocin, AROM induction, when they started in transition they felt like waves of tightening that started at the lower uterine segment and radiated to the top. But, I only had these for 32 minutes before she was born. 15 minutes prior to that I felt BH type contractions. The "real" ones were a more distinct wave of tightening with a stronger sensation.

Contractions felt like menstrual cramps with my third, too. With my youngest, I had frequent bouts of BH for about a week leading up to his birth. Nothing uncomfortable. About 15 minutes before his birth, while on the phone with my mom, I had about three contractions that were similar to the wave of tightening I had with #2, but they weren't strong, and I only noticed those three. Though not strong, they were a different sensation than BH. I wasn't thinking "labor" at this time since they weren't strong and they went away. And then nothing until just before his birth, and those felt like cramps in the lower part of my uterus, but stronger than the others and accompanied with massive pressure, followed by a baby.

I'm sure I'll know when it's the real deal. But I don't start labor until transition, so I worry that when I do realize it's really happening, it will be over almost as soon as it started.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I know what you mean... In a way I don't remember either but in another way I feel like I'll know when it starts to happen because it's a distinct feeling (also because I am very cautious of going to the hospital and being sent home for false labor).
    The pain in my lower back and all around my lower abdomen... I feel like it will all come back to me as soon as it starts!!
    Either that or my water will break and I'll go in immediately for my RCS or it will be Nov 7 and I will walk in for my appointment! (which is so strange to think about since my first time was a bit of a whirlwind).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I was also induced (for Pre-E), so I only know contractions on pitocin - they started out as VERY bad period cramps, I remember I spent about 15 hours on the birthing ball b/c I couldn't walk around because of the IVs and monitors. Once my pitocin was maxed it was beyond painful.

I really hope to avoid an induction this time around, so I have no idea what it will be like to go on my own.
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• Options
    Water broke at 5am. No pain. Nothing till 11am. They started me on pitocin to jumpstart labor. Que immediate intense painful back to back contractions. Eff that shit. Got an epidural at noon. Felt NOTHING but then baby's HR decels a bunch of times for far too long. Hello er csection.

So what do I remember as far as pain levels and what not. Not much :(

Hoping for a VBAC this time. Possibly meds-free, although if I need it, I will fuly get the epi again
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    3rd time mom here and I really don't remember either....
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was one of the ones who had my water break first! It was crazy, I was laying in bed and actually heard it! Anyway from there I just remember it progressing like worse and worse period cramps, definitely different than my BH! Then of course there is the fact that they are much more regular!
    Me too.  It was a small pop sound, kind of like a water balloon but quieter.  
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My water broke with my first and then immediate intense contractions...and fast. There was no question. Now I'm all like, "What's all this 5-1-1, 3-1-1 business?!?" I need to brush up on my labor warnings again because in my head I keep thinking it's going to happen the exact same way...yea, probably not!
    the 5-1-1 or 3-1-1 is timing contractions and when to go to the hospital.  First number is the time between the beginning of each contraction ( 5 minutes, 3 minutes), the second is when the contractions are about 1 minute in length, and the last one is for 1 hour.  Some OB's recommend not going to the hospital until you contractions are 5 minutes apart, about a minute in length for an hour.  You could ask your OB what they recommend.
  • Options
    I don't remember at all and it wasn't that long ago.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    I remember pushing, the sensation that told me I needed to, and I remember how good I felt after the epidural. As for the contractions- I don't remember them at all! Your body also produces Ocytocin, the same thing that helps your body contract and labor to progress, for months after the baby is born to help you forget about contractions and how bad labor pain really hurts.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I really remember exactly what it felt like, but I feel like I know much more now and will be able to recognize that I am in labor MUCH EARLIER, than just be in denial "There's no way I'm in labor, I'm sure this will go away and I'll feel better."

At least I hope so…
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I forgot what contractions felt like as well especially since I've been having so many BH. Let me tell ya, I had one the other night and it all came back! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"