Boston Babies
Options

Relocating

Hi...

We are possibly going to be relocating some where closer to Cambridge MA due to my husbands job.

Not really familiar with any towns close by... We are thinking no more than 30-45 mins from Cambridge. Looking for a great area for raising kids, safe, great schools etc.. Also would love some place where there are fun activities, parks for kids & dogs too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you :)

Re: Relocating

• Options
    The surrounding towns around Cambridge are Arlington, Winchester, Burlington, Boston, Belmont.  They are all great towns with great schools and parks (I grew up around there).  Good luck on your move!
  • Options
    Also, if your looking for smaller towns- Concord, Acton, Maynard, and Sudbury are wonderful and right on rt 2 which leads to Cambridge
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pjo79pjo79 member

Thanks for the different areas!

What about Abington, Randolph, Quincy?

• Options
    pjo79pjo79 member
    Great thank you for the information :) Much appreciated.
  • Options

I grew up in Arlington & lived in Quincy for 10 years & now live in Weymouth.  Personally, I would look at the towns on the northshore that friendlyghost mentioned (Arlington, Winchester, Belmont, etc.) if you can afford it.  With their reputation also comes a higher price tag for both houses and apartments. They are much safer than Quincy and Randolph (I don't know much about Abington) for raising children and have much better school systems.  Depending on what part of Quincy you are looking at ...it is much more like a city with the drugs, crime, etc.

• Options
    Your budget is really going to drive things here, some towns near cambridge are crazy expensive, great towns but expensive.
  • Options
    pjo79pjo79 member

thanks everyone for the comments and info on these towns... yeah definately all set with living in a town that isnt safe to raise children. dont want to deal with drugs, crime etc....

thank you again :)

• Options
    Note that the towns listed are some of the most expensive in MA. Reading has a nice mix of budget friendly, safety, good schools and kid friendly, it's probably on the edge of your 30-45 minute commute requirement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pjo79pjo79 member
    What about Mansfield/ Easton / Stoughton areas? Thoughts?
  • Options
    LED333LED333 member
    I think it might be easier to commute from the north rather than south if working in Cambridge. Maybe you could consider Wilmington, North Reading, Reading, Stoneham, or Woburn?
  • Options
    Wine&CupcakesWine&Cupcakes member
    edited August 2014
    pjo79 said:

What about Mansfield/ Easton / Stoughton areas? Thoughts?

This. Easton is absolutely full of young families these days. They schools are good as well and it's still relatively affordable. Plus, I presume property
    values will increase as the commuter rail is in the works to stop in Easton in the very near future.

Also, in regard to the Abington/Brockton comment - MANY amazing towns border bad towns - Andover is beautiful and very upscale and borders Lawrence....Keep in mind that often times the parts of "bad" towns that border nice ones are usually the "good" part of that bad town - for example, driving into Brockton to hop on 24 showcases a Panera Bread, etc, you don't drive immediately into hookers and gunshots. This is the same for other highly desireable area such as West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, etc. that all have very nice areas alongside very rough areas - but they also all border Brookline.

Eta: mansfield has amazing schools! Also, it has the commuter rail.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
  • Options
    Agree with others about looking more north if you'll be commuting to Cambridge. Going through the city (93), around the city (128), or taking public transportation from the south would be a BIG pain compared to the north.

The towns above are great but expensive. For more budget friendly towns I'd look at Stoneham, Wakefield, Wilmington. Good towns, cheaper housing costs.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• Options
    We are in Reading & love it. Traffic into the city can be ugly but there is a commuter rail stop here.
  • Options
    Will you need or want to be on the commuter rail for your or your husband's job?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"