April 2014 Moms
Options

Low milk supply... introduce formula?

Anyone else BF and noticing their milk supply is getting lower?? I want to still BF but am thinking I am going to have to start supplementing. Any one suggest a formula brand to introduce? My LO isn't gaining weight either from our Dr. Appts. I thought my supply was in but I pumped one feeding last night and I barely got an ounce.  TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Low milk supply... introduce formula?

• Options
    Why do you think your supply is decreasing? If its just because you're not pumping much at the end of the day, that's not a very accurate way of gauging supply. Baby will get more milk than the pump. But I would be more concerned about LO not gaining enough.
    Have you tried ways of increasing supply, fenugreek, oatmeal, more milk teas, etc?

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    How much you can pump is not a great indicator of how much the baby is getting. Pumping about an ounce when you're also breastfeeding full time (vs skipping feedings because you're away from baby) is perfectly normal. Have you seen a lactation consultant? Doing a weighed feeding might give you some good information. How are wet and dirty diapers? How often are you breastfeeding?

If you decide to supplement there's no shame in that game, either. Most of the differences in various formulas come down to marketing, so I say pick a reasonably priced store brand and see how it works.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    edited April 2014
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think your supply is low?   Is it just because you didn't get much when you pumped?   I got very little the first few times I pumped (like 1-1.5oz total), but after keeping at it for a week I got 5oz this morning.

If you want to continue BFing, the worst thing you can do for your supply is introduce formula.  If your doctor recommended it to get baby's weight up, then that's different, but you would still want to pump to keep your supply up as much as you can.

If you want to keep BFing, then I would recommend you see a LC for advice.  You can also look at La Leche League for resources (there should be a local chapter) or check out kellymom.com for other information.  

If you're ready to stop BFing, then that's absolutely fine.  Your Pedi should be able to recommend the best kind of formula for weight gain.  

ETA: At our two-week appointment, it looked like LO hadn't gained much either (like 4 oz since we brought him home from the hospital).  They made us come back a week later and he had gained 7 oz in a week, back up to birth weight.  I think it might have just been the scale they weighed him on or when he had last peed/pooped (a couple of ounces can make a big difference).  
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    alice928alice928 member
    edited April 2014
    I also believe my milk supply is low as LO has lost some weight at our weigh in. I am pumping after feedings to supplement an extra ounce of BM after nursing. Doctor was fine with not adding formula yet as she is having a good amount of pee and poops. Any suggestions on brands for the fenugreek? I've added oatmeal and am basically willing to try anything to increase supply. TIA
  • Options
    My little one had jaundice pretty badly at first so I'm thinking that she developed bad eating habits (ie lazy at the breast) rather than low milk supply. I pump after every feeding and am taking fenugreek. I also try to eat oatmeal at least once per day. I have been to lactation 4 times since I left the hospital and have received a different plan every time. The pediatrician has also given me a plan which is different than what the lactation consultants have said. It's all very frustrating but she is gaining weight and has the appropriate amount of dirty diapers. My biggest concern now is building up a supply to freeze when I return to work. I usually have just enough milk for her 1.5 oz supplement per feeding (although sometimes she wants up to 4 oz after a feeding). I have only 6 oz stored so far and she is 3 weeks old. It's frustrating, for sure, but hopefully benefitting her.
  • Options
    For fenugreek I would do something like more milk plus (from mother love) it's a blend of herbs, including fenugreek. The tincture is more effective than capsules, if you can stand it :)

Remember it's normal for babies to lose weight. Ten percent of birth weight is not abnormal in bf babies. I don't know how old the various babies are, though, and obviously your ped does :)

I went back to work last time with maybe 12 ounces in the freezer. Once your missing feedings you will pump soooo much more. And once your baby is in a good sleep routine you can pump while they nap or before they wake up and get a cushion that way.

The BEST things for supply is having baby at the breast as much as possibly. Both frequency and length. Get them there as often as possible and let them hang out. If you can Do a 24 hour "nursing vacation) where you basically hang out in bed and bf that can work wonders! Have your partner bring you food and fluids and just get up to pee. Lots of skin to skin and nursing!

Not all supply issues can be solved this way, but it can help a lot! I used to come home from work, strip us both down and crawl into bed for an hour or two. The next day I would get a noticeable bump in what I could pump!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO hasnt gained back her birth weight in 3 weeks.. have gone for 3 weight checks... our 4th will be on Monday. I thought my supply was low bc 1. I pumped instead of a feeding(husband fed formula) and I barely got an oz from both sides together. and 2. After each feeding she still is fussy afterwards (when normally she falls asleep or is content). Our LO had jaundice too and with the no weight gain we were encouraged to supplement a little. I've been in touch with a LC too and it just continues to be very frustrating. 
  • Options
    With my first baby I had low supply related to a severe hemorrhage. I was prescribed a drug called donperidone. I live in canada, but I think I remember hearing it's not approved in the US. I think that helped my supply. I also took
    Fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I feel for you! Supply issues (if indeed you have a supply issue) can be so stressful! But any amount of breast milk you can give your baby is great. No shame in having to supplement with formula
  • Options
    DemoDollDemoDoll member
    edited May 2014
    Formula is the worst thing you can do for your supply. I went through the same thing with DD1. I thought my supply was low during a growth spurt and could barely pump anything. I introduced formula to help top her off and it took me over 2 months of constNt work to get my supply back up where it should be. Biggest mistake ever. I suggest lactation cookies, tons and tons of water and Mothers Milk plus in liquid form.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We've been supplementing with a bottle per day of Similac's supplement for breastfeeding babies. I can't remember the precise wording but it's green. I was breastfeeding her around the clock but she was never content after feedings; if she was awake, she was crying. constantly. I let it go on for 3 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. She's been a completely different baby since I started giving her that extra feeding. There are actual moments where she's awake and just looking around. That wasn't happening at all before the added feeding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    My LO is gaining, but not fast enough. At 3 weeks she is one oz shy of making her birth weight. 
    I'm really surprised they are recommending you supplement.   DS was 1/2 ounce shy of birth weight at 3 weeks, which is basically the difference between having a full bladder or empty bladder.  The nurse had me feed him for a few minutes and weighed him again, and he was at birth weight.  They never even brought up supplementing. 
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    Smores730 said:

We've been supplementing with a bottle per day of Similac's supplement for breastfeeding babies. I can't remember the precise wording but it's green. I was breastfeeding her around the clock but she was never content after feedings; if she was awake, she was crying. constantly. I let it go on for 3 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. She's been a completely different baby since I started giving her that extra feeding. There are actual moments where she's awake and just looking around. That wasn't happening at all before the added feeding.

Exactly this. We top up with formula as baby screamed after every feed, even after 24 hours going from boob to boob. We still have boob time then have the bottle. Working well for us!
  • Options
    I spoke with a lactation consultant and I'm not sure why everyone suggests them as a savior.  What I was told was nothing I hadn't already known or googled out of frustration for lack of a build-able supply. The theme I got from the LC was contradictory I was told to nurse at least every 2 hours preferably more (meaning what, every single hour???) and get a lot of rest...how the hell do you get rest when you need to wake to try to nurse your hungry newborn hourly? Oh and the best was "try not to be stressed and keep the baby calm" IMPOSSIBLE!
  • Options
    I spoke with a lactation consultant and I'm not sure why everyone suggests them as a savior.  What I was told was nothing I hadn't already known or googled out of frustration for lack of a build-able supply. The theme I got from the LC was contradictory I was told to nurse at least every 2 hours preferably more (meaning what, every single hour???) and get a lot of rest...how the hell do you get rest when you need to wake to try to nurse your hungry newborn hourly? Oh and the best was "try not to be stressed and keep the baby calm" IMPOSSIBLE!
  • Options
    That's really good advice. The best possible thing for supply is to nurse as much as possible. Crawl into bed with baby and get lots of skin to skin. Do a 24 hour nursing vacation and have someone bring you food and lots of water and just snuggle and nurse the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"