January 2015 Moms

Newborn Photos

So, I like to dabble in photography every here and there. My husband got me a new DSLR for Mothers Day and I'm excited to try my hand at newborn photos of this LO.

Anyone have any newborn photos of their own or that they've found on the interwebz as ideas for what you may want if/when you have yours done? Looking for some suggestions/inspiration!

Re: Newborn Photos

• ^^^ very talented lady. Such a cute photo.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second Pinterest. I've found new ideas on there for this LO and I've found ideas that I've used for my son in the past. Lots of cute ideas!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Possibly stupid FTM question. When do you get newborn photos taken? My SIL has photos that were taken at the hospital but I'm worried they'll be super expensive and then I won't want them lol. Is it possible to have a photographer that we know come do them at the hospital? Or, is that weird? Also, is it better to do it post-hospital? 

I feel like my newb is showing but this is something I'm considering. I decided to forgo maternity photos so we could have the money set aside for newborn photos and if it's better to do it post-hospital stay I have a photographer I'd much rather use than the hospital staffed one. I'm sure they're good, but she knows us so well...sorry to threadjack!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Ugh....stupid username. I've asked to change it several times lol

those are so cute though!!! I guess I'll ask the OB Coordinator at our next appt to see if she knows anything about us having a photographer come to the hospital. I'd kind of like to have both too. Maybe not the day of, but definitely the day after lol...once we're in recovery! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @elleswarth such a fan of these!! :x
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MichaelSC28‌ - I know, aren't they adorable?? Both babies look super cuddly! I want to give both of those a try... currently hunting down cute hats and headbands on Etsy!
  • I'm also a part time photographer and the first newborn photos I took of my own daughter 3 years ago (before I had any training) were embarrassing, lol. I'd also like to urge people without the proper training to not try and do all the fancy posing you may see. Especially the folded in half and head in hands looks. Those can actually be very dangerous to your baby if not done properly, and a lot of them are actually 2 photos taken and merged into one (called a composite). I only do the very natural poses myself and I think those are just as beautiful. But have fun with your new camera! There are some great resources on pinterest for everything, including basic camera functions and lighting guides!
  • @4littlebears‌ - I've been doing photography for a while, he just upgraded my camera. I just usually do places/nature, not people. And as much as I want them to turn out perfect, I'm okay with whatever comes out. We didn't have any pics with our first other than ones family took and we took with our phones, and it's never bothered me, they're still framed around the house. I'm just excited to try!
  • Awesome!! I love playing with new equipment, though it's been a while since I've gotten any. lol

It seems like newborn photos have come up a couple of times now, so it was a good opportunity to let anyone reading know sort of "don't try this at home" kind of thing at least with certain poses. I'd hate to have any babies hurt and no one had been told it was dangerous. :x
  • Ugh....stupid username. I've asked to change it several times lol

those are so cute though!!! I guess I'll ask the OB Coordinator at our next appt to see if she knows anything about us having a photographer come to the hospital. I'd kind of like to have both too. Maybe not the day of, but definitely the day after lol...once we're in recovery! 
    They (photographers I know) usually say within the first two weeks of birth. That helps with having sleepy babies and posing.

• Britt1406 said:
    Ugh....stupid username. I've asked to change it several times lol

They (photographers I know) usually say within the first two weeks of birth. That helps with having sleepy babies and posing.
    Thank you! :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• First 12 days is the most ideal time frame for newborn shoots. That's when they are the most sleepy/cooperative. We had my daughters done at 4 days I believe, hoping to do a hospital newborn session for this baby.
    Thank you @firsttimeaussiemum‌ :)
  • alexis.arnone I tell my clients, that they should be done 7-10 days after birth. This gives the family time to settle a little iwth the new baby and the baby will still be in that sleepy stage. Once you hit the 14 day mark, they are wide awake for most of the shots. If that's ok with what you want for your pictures then don't worry about the timeframe. If you're going to hire someone, you need to call them now and tell them your due date so that they can have a tentative time on their calendar to know to expect your call. I've had people call me from the hospital to set up their session, lol but I'd say that is not necessary if you call ahead. 

If you're going to do pictures yourself, shoot for more natural pictures instead of the Pinterest stuff. It can get complicated with props and stuff and you can wear yourself out trying to copy those and never get the same result. 

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• LaBellaVidaLaBellaVida member
    edited October 2014
    I'll share a few of mine. This is DS3. He was 3 weeks old. I had a rough recovery other wise I would have had them done around 10 days old.

eta: removed images

• nfm12832nfm12832 member
    edited October 2014
    Here a few of our first daughter Aubree we plan to have same photographer do pictures with our second daughter Harper maybe a few with the two sisters together edit she was 6 days old when these where taken
  • I love this idea! I did not properly plan for our newborn photosthe first time. All of my favorite pictures are when he was older -- I've been prepping for newborn photos now so that I'll be prepared! If you plan on being pictures pick clothes that you want to be photographed in lol.
  • Both of my favorite nb pics of DSw don't show his face because apparently I'm a weirdo. We used the hospitals photographer. They aren't bad. So the first pic is my favorite from the hospital photographer, and the second is my favorite candid photo that I took.
  • The hospital one is one of my favorites
  • I took most ideas from Pinterest- hospital one taken right after Mackenzie was born- cupcake one taken at hospital - rest were all done by me when she was about 7 days old
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"