August 2012 Moms

Flu vaccine

I was looking up flu vaccine info, checking if we needed to go to our pediatrician or if Walgreens/CVS would have the vaccine for kiddos.

I came across info that starting at 2 years old they can get the nasal mist.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/children.htm?mobile=nocontent

If your kiddo is getting flu vaccine, which are you choosing?
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Flu vaccine

• I was thinking of getting DD the actual shot. Only because I have heard that the spray isn't good if a person has asthma or breathing problems... Will probably go to the pediatrician to get their thoughts once DD is over her ear infection.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • We do shots because have family members (not living with us but still) that are immune compromised. I'm not sure if it's in my head or not, but I think we would have to not see those family members for a week or something. My kids do fine with the shots.

Sounds right. I worked at a children's hospital before my current job. People in certain departments weren't allowed to get the nasal vaccine at all. And if you worked in a department where nasal vaccine was allowed, there were areas of the hospital you couldn't go to for 2 weeks afterwards unless you wore a mask.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • She already had the nasal mist. Her nose was slightly runny for a couple of days after, as they said it would be, but that's all. She didn't seem to mind them giving it to her.
  • I haven't researched it yet, but I would lean toward nasal if no big drawbacks because the fewer shots, the better. Maybe if we can go a few doctor visits with no shots, she won't immediately scream whenever we get taken back for an appt.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • We all had the nasal mist. DD2 got it at her 2 year well check.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • We had the shot. They didn't have the mist at DD's pedi office. Not sure she would've reacted better anyway. She freaks over new things and at least a shot is a known quantity! A moment of crying followed by "mommy! It's all over! All done!"
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • the nasal spray vaccine is supposed to confer better immunity in young children than the shot (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/for-kids-flu-spray-may-be-better-than-shots/) DS got the flu mist this year. he does tend to wheeze when he gets sick, but i guess the pediatrician thought it was okay. there's also the benefit of them not being traumatized by the shot.
  • vvvvvfee said:
    the nasal spray vaccine is supposed to confer better immunity in young children than the shot (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/for-kids-flu-spray-may-be-better-than-shots/) DS got the flu mist this year. he does tend to wheeze when he gets sick, but i guess the pediatrician thought it was okay. there's also the benefit of them not being traumatized by the shot.

This is us - we got the shot, though, because I didn't know there was an alternative. Evie is still itsy bitsy at 26lbs on a good day - does weight play into it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @msbean22 no, i think it's just once they hit age 2. the mist is supposed to be best for kids ages 2 through 8.
  • DD got her shot and was *so proud* of her bandaid. The nurse who did it clearly knew what she was doing and had DD choose a sucker just as she put the needle in - I don't think DD even noticed she'd gotten the shot. 

We went with the shot because it was more readily available (you can walk in and get it whereas we needed an appointment for the mist) and because the mist has live virus and we're wusses - even though the CDC recommends the mist for healthy kids age 2-8 over the shot (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm)
  • abbyfulabbyful member
    edited October 2014
    Well, DS ended up with the shot. CVS website said they had mist, but when we got there they didn't. (So if you are using CVS, call first and double check they have the format you want.) We had already waited in line, so I figured we'd just get it over with.

Then I forgot to ask for the preservative-free shot, when we got home and I looked at my receipt, saw they gave him the one with preservative. Nothing I can do about it now though.

Next year I'll take him to his pediatrician instead, even if it is less convenient because I have to take off work. I only took him to CVS because I could do it in the evening.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"