Infertility Veterans
Options

Biological Parent question on Birth Certificate Worksheet (mentions pregnancy)

LuzTatuLuzTatu member
edited October 2014 in Infertility Veterans
Hi ladies, 

I'm new to this board, so forgive me if my post is inappropriate. I usually bump around on the Jan2015 board, but some of you might relate better to what I'm experiencing. Long introduction, short: we tried for a year to get pregnant (wasted time seeing regular doctors and not fertility doctors), before we found out that he is sterile. So, we bought 5 vials of sperm, did 3 rounds of unmedicated IUI, and two medicated. The 5th round took and we're due in January. If it hadn't we were going to move onto donated embryos (I was a donor before, didn't want to go through the cost and pain of IVF, and we were using half donor anyway...).

Anyway, I was going over the birth certificate worksheet and on the father's side they ask if he's the biological father. And if not, who is? They don't ask this on the mother's side. I was an ovum donor in my 20's, and with our recent purchase of donated sperm, I can tell you that all legal parental rights of the donor have been waived. I'm confused by this question. Do they really want to know if the baby is biologically his, or if he is legally responsible for the child? The question is right below them asking if he is from Mexico or South America, so does it have to do with immigration or child support? It just annoys me. What if we had gone with the donated embryo and neither one of us would have been biological parents? I'm somewhat offended at this question. Really, the language needs to be updated to be in line with the technology. Do any of you have experience with this?

Re: Biological Parent question on Birth Certificate Worksheet (mentions pregnancy)

• Options
    Most (all?) of us are still trying for our first.  You might try PAIF/SAIF or Third Party Reproduction (but be sure to put a warning in your title that you are mentioning a pregnancy/birth).
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    LuzTatuLuzTatu member
    edited October 2014
    I was afraid of that. I'm so sorry. I don't realize there is a board for folks that are using donors or surrogates...
    I'll try to delete this post.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"