January 2014 Moms

DD still gets up 4 times a night. I'm gonna lose it!

I feel like I'm gonna go crazy. DD still gets up 3/4 times a night! We took her to the doc. Last week to rule out ears/reflux etc. since she is only 15 lbs the ped. Told me to keep nursing her when she wakes up (that seems to be the only way she will go back to sleep). Anyone else getting up this much? DH and I are at the end of our rope, we are both so tired it makes getting through the day is so challenging. Any suggestions to help dd sleep? Anyone else's LO getting up this much?

Re: DD still gets up 4 times a night. I'm gonna lose it!

• My son also wakes up at least twice in the night, and sometimes hourly before it's time to get up for the day starting around 4 or 5.

We are in the process of a move and are living in an apartment, so I don't want to sleep train in this situation but cannot wait to get into our house to do that.

I don't have a lot of advice but just wanted to answer you that yep, we're still getting up. Some nights are worse than others and I feel you on the being tired thing.
  • Us too. At least twice a night. DD has just started to show signs of starting to sleep better. One thing that has helped is adding a blanket and letting her sleep on her belly. Still makes me slightly nervous but she is sleeping better!

We have tried Ferber twice, and it worked to get her into her crib and staying there, but for me, I just think she's going to do it when she is ready. We also started letting her eat more in the evening and give her a larger bottle before bed. For us that has also helped.

GL! From one zombie Mom to another :)
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • How much is she eating during the day? For us, the change came with getting the bulk oh his milk shifted to day time, then got even better after adding solids. We're still about 50/50 on MOTN wakeups, but we're down to one when it does happen. All you ladies still up all night have all my sympathies :(
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• She gets ebm while I'm at work during the day anywhere from 10-15 oz Cheerios, and usually she'll eat a quarter to half a pouch of baby food. Then in the afternoons when I'm home she nurses ever 3/4 hours, then she'll get babyfood with dinner. We tried having her sleep in her own room but she still got up just as much and we got less sleep since we were running room to room. Oh and she doesn't nap regularly either :/ she will sleep in your arms for 10-20 mins once a day and fight her afternoon nap all afternoon so I never get a break ha. At this rate she is gonna be an only child.
  • I second the blanket thing. I had no idea how much a good blanket would help DS sleep! It's lengthened his naps, which I think helps his night sleep too. Also if she liked solids maybe try feeding her more? I'm sure that would help her weight gain too. Maybe try soft fruits and veggies in addition to the pouch food? We do bananas (he used to have half now he eats a whole banana, he's such a piglet), canned pears and peaches, steamed carrots and sweet potatoes--my theory is that these heavier starchy veggies given at night fill him up more.

Hang in there, you are doing great and there's no way it can last forever!
    TWO Babies in 2014!
    DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

• I highly recommend the Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight Gentle Approach to Sleep Training book.  It really helped us.  My daughter loved to nurse to sleep, sometimes 6 times per night!  I was going crazy.  I followed the book to a T, except I still nursed her 2 times.  However, the 1st time had to be at least 6 hours after she fell asleep.  Now I nurse her 1-2 times per night , her night is 12 hours, 7PM-7AM.  It makes a world of difference when I get 4-5 hours of consecutive sleep. 

I am one of those rare ones that does not recommend a blanket.  I following the guideline of waiting until at least 12 months.  It scares me too much!  It is now cold enough that I am putting a sleep sack over her pjs. 

Good luck!
  • Isaac is still up 3-4 times a night.  
    He goes down around 7pm, then usually wakes up around 10pm and we nurse, then he will be up at 1am, 3am and 5:30am.  Then he's up for the day between 6:30-7am.  
    He nurses for 10 minutes each time so he's getting lots of milk.  
    I have helped myself by going to bed early when I want to (which is often). If I go to bed early, like say 9pm then I will pop in and nurse him before I go to bed so that he will sleep through until 1am. 
    He can fall back asleep on his own, technically he doesn't really need to nurse at night, but I've had issues with my supply so I would personally rather nurse him when the opportunity is there than skip it.  He's 9 months and 23lb so he's not suffering for milk and I don't want to cause issues to come back with low supply.  

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are also back in an up 3-4 times a night phase. We'll have a couple good nights of only 1 wake up and then back to 3-4 wake ups for a week or so. The only thing that is getting us through is we alternate nights. So we each get to sleep every other night.
  • He is up at least 3-4 times each night. Usually, he gets hot and wakes himself up but as soon as one of us pick him up he lays his head right back down. It's getting to be longer stretches of time in between, maybe 5 hours was the longest?
  • You are not the only one. I'm sorry your going through this too. I've given up. I co sleep and nap sometimes when he does. I'm a SAHM mom so I have flexibility to do this. But tired, very tired, I'm wondering when I'll sleep again. I don't have advice :(. I've tried all. He has two regular long naps, eats well, we do soft bedtime routine a la sleep easy. All that's happened is he knows it bedtime and whines. I'm headed for bed now to at 9pm.

• Do we need to resurrect MOTN? DS has been a pill these past few days. Between teething & his leap, SO & I are tired. I nurse him to sleep and every after a while I lay him in the crib he's up 2 min later. Last night he was up every hour! SO took over @ 1am and I slept until 7:30am. I'm sooooo sleepy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've been going through this the last couple of weeks as well. DD has been sleeping in 1-2 hour stretches only. She's never been a great sleeper, but this has been really rough. I don't have any advice, but you are not alone! Hope tonight goes better for you!

TTC Since 8/2011
    BFP #1 5/13/12 * EDD 1/24/13 * MC at 7 wks 4 days on 6/11/12
    BFP #2 5/13/13 * Current EDD 1/23/14

Baby N born 2/8/14

imageimage

Lilypie - (HD7B)

• I'm sure you've tried a lot of different things and I know all babies are different, but some things that worked for us:

-being super consistent with naps - she has her first nap 2 hours after morning wake up, second nap 3 hours after first nap wake up, and bedtime routine starts at 7pm
    -strict routine with bedtime - nurse, sing, bath, lotion, pjs, story, bed, same every single night
    -I used to nurse/rock her to sleep and when that stopped working around 6 months I had to do some sleep training. It worked really well for us (although DD was done with night feeds so I'm not sure how that comes into play with sleep training)

Have you considered adding more solid foods? My nephew wasn't gaining enough and he was also sleeping terribly. Once they increased his solid foods he started gaining weight and sleeping a bit better. DD went through a phase where she was refusing food after a few bites. I knew she wasn't full yet and was getting so frustrated. Finally I offered her some finger foods, and she wolfed them down! She just hates being spoon fed and I didn't realize it.
  • Add me to the list. She wakes up every 2/3 hours every night. Glad to know we're not alone as all my friends babies are sleeping way better than my madam!
  • We are dealing with lingering congestion from a cold so we have been waking four times a night. Usually it's two which is still too many when my alarm goes off at 445 am for work.
  • We are still up at night too.  DD is up ususally at least two times, usually more like 3-4 times each night.  We tried sleep training but then she got sick and we have not gone back to it (getting over a double ear infection).  With DS he was up every two hours around the clock until I stopped breastfeeding so part of me thinks it is just going to be what it is until I wean her.  I know that is not necessarily true but I just really really hate sleep training and have been dragging my feet about doing it again. 

I know when I talked to the dr about it (and this was a while ago) she kinda told me do whatever worked for us - if it was sleep training then sleep train, if it was nursing at night then nurse at night.  What I have noticed is that DD sleeps better on the weekends because she is with me all day and her worst nights are during the week when she is at daycare all day.  To me that tells me she needs a little extra closeness with me when she is apart from me all day and I am not yet at a point where I am okay with denying her that. 

• Sorry if I seem like a stranger... I haven't looked at the bump for a few months. But, my daughter wakes up all the time. We have her in the crib from 8-12 and she pretty much wakes hourly. Then we co sleep and she wakes a couple more times. It's so tiring, co sleeping helps but I'm more concerned about having some awake time in the evening to myself and SO! We watched a movie last night with 2 half hour breaks to rock her back to sleep. Ick.
  • Hang in there, mamas! I was about to dig up "9 month wakefulness" thread. There have been nights where DD just wouldn't stay asleep. She has become quite clingy (separation anxiety?) these days so I think that's part of the problem. Also, I think she sometimes gets acid reflux now that she's eating more real foods. We are trying to cut down on fruit.
    I sure hope this is a phase! My anxiety/insomnia is back because I am on high alert all the time not knowing when she might wake up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"