Baby Showers
Options

Pregnant with 3rd boy, friend wants to throw me a sprinkle.

I feel weird about this. She said people can bring me diapers. I don't feel like others should have to diaper my baby. I guess it would be nice to celebrate #3 too. We pretty much only need bigger stuff like a double stroller and crib. I'm sure not asking for those! Older sons are 8 and 2 so we do have toys and clothes saved from them. Thoughts?

Re: Pregnant with 3rd boy, friend wants to throw me a sprinkle.

• Options
    Politely decline and suggest that if the friends MUST do something, that you all get together for happy hour, pedicures, or lunch -- something that clearly doesn't involve gifts but would give you all a chance to hang out and toast the baby's impending birth.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say it's fine. My cousin had a shower for her 3rd baby, with close family and friends. It was fun and a good celebration of mom and baby. If your friend wants to throw it then why not? You could always say no gifts on the invitation or do a charity registry instead.

A meet the baby is nice too. It's all about what feels right for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mean to be harsh but I have just realized something myself in the last few weeks. When things started to fall apart with my shower plans (first baby) I would say things like "I just want others to want to celebrate our baby!" but that was a lie I wanted others to celebrate me and this big event for our family. I don't even like being the center of attention, but showers do feel like a right of passage in some way. The baby is not born yet and has no idea of their own attendance, so the shower is never for them. Never. It's for the mother. It's really for the mother to get what she needs to care for her first baby, because all of the little items really add up if you don't have any of them. 

I also agree that others aren't responsible for providing for your kids. 

I would politely decline and just say you thankfully have everything you really need right now. Offer her to help you host a little sip and see a few weeks after the birth so people can come and meet your LO.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Also - you will get gifts even if you don't have a shower. Anyone who genuinely wants to get you a present will do so. If someone in my family or a close friend has their 10th baby I am still buying something cute for them because it is such an exciting life event and I'm so happy for them. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited October 2014
    MrsPDX said:
    I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say it's fine. My cousin had a shower for her 3rd baby, with close family and friends. It was fun and a good celebration of mom and baby. If your friend wants to throw it then why not? You could always say no gifts on the invitation or do a charity registry instead. A meet the baby is nice too. It's all about what feels right for you.
    No no no! So freaking tacky it makes me want to break something!
  • Options

If you think she's going to fight you tooth and nail, suggest a girls afternoon. Go for pedicures or lunch  or something.

My very close GF just asked if she could throw me a diaper&wipes sprinkle ( baby girl #2) and I said this thing. I DO want to get together with my girls but would feel really bad about receiving diapers and wipes, esp that we can perfectly fine afford it...
  • Options
    It's a lovely thought and a sweet gesture, but a shower for a third baby is tacky. I like the idea of suggesting a girls' activity like going out for lunch or something instead. Just because you are already a mom doesn't mean that adding a new baby to your family isn't a big deal and that you shouldn't celebrate. 

I'm personally very uncomfortable with 'meet the baby' parties because I do not trust people to get their flu/DTAP/etc shots or to stay home if they're sick and by the time the baby has had the first round of vaccinations, the people who are important have already met the baby (also, they're the ones who I trust to not be vectors). Maybe I'm just a worry wort though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"