Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Wordless picture books

I have stumbled across an article on benefits of reading wordless books to our kids. In short, it says that we should read wordless picture books because it improves our kids' vocab and their ability to infer. Such books also allow kids to select their own point of view and they help parents bond with their kids. So I was wondering if any of you ladies have tried such books and what has been your experience.

Re: Wordless picture books

• The only wordless picture book we have is Good Dog, Carl.  We have a dog named Carl so the kids think it's hilarious.  It is nice to look at the pictures and talk about what we see but I think you can do to that with any book.  If you give the kids a chance to tell you what they see in the picture versus just reading and flipping the page.  
  • Thanks for your response @ashiscute ! May I ask how old are your kids?
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a few...Goodnight Gorilla has very few words. Waves by Suzy Lee is a beautiful one. The Indestructibles series of books is also wordless (and indestructible!). 

LO likes them, but isn't a HUGE fan--it's not like he picks these out first. But I think they are fun to read because it allows us and Lo to really be involved in the story. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Thanks for your response @ashiscute ! May I ask how old are your kids?
    DD is 3.5 and DS just turned 2.  DS especially loves to read but DD finds the book a bit annoying because she likes to memorize books and there are only like 5 words so she doesn't really see the appeal.  
  • ashiscute said:
    Thanks for your response @ashiscute ! May I ask how old are your kids?
    DD is 3.5 and DS just turned 2.  DS especially loves to read but DD finds the book a bit annoying because she likes to memorize books and there are only like 5 words so she doesn't really see the appeal.  
    Thanks @ashiscute !
  • tricia560 said:
    I used to do story time looooong ago when I worked at a book store, and "read" a wordless book to a group of 2-4 year olds.  It was a lot of fun.  I asked what they thought was happening, what they thought would happen next, etc. and just let them all yell out.  It was Tuesday by David Wiesner https://www.amazon.com/Tuesday-David-Wiesner-ebook/dp/B00AXS6B16/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1411657314&sr=8-13&keywords=wordless+picture+books+for+children

I haven't tried one yet because my son doesn't say many words yet, but we do look at regular picture books together and he points at things he's interested in and then I describe them (Yes, that is the kitty cat's nose.  Can you find her ears? Do you think she's going to ____?  Let's turn the page and see)
    Really like this approach. This way kids can both read on their AND also play around the story together with someone else.
  • hilsy85 said:
    We have a few...Goodnight Gorilla has very few words. Waves by Suzy Lee is a beautiful one. The Indestructibles series of books is also wordless (and indestructible!). 

LO likes them, but isn't a HUGE fan--it's not like he picks these out first. But I think they are fun to read because it allows us and Lo to really be involved in the story. 
    @hilsy85 Sounds interesting, checking these books out now...By the way, what's the favorite book of your LO?
  • @GillianB32 Favorite book ever?? He's got a few--I would say heavy in our rotation is Knufflebunny, Little Blue Truck, Karen Katz lift the flap books, Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site, and Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things that Go (he is really really into trucks and cars, lol). 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • @hilsy85 I see, thanks a bunch!
  • Pinkie78 said:
    I would say word books or wordless books are the same as they can't read :). Our son loves loves loves the book wheels on the bus (it's an interactive pop up type) and a pop up book with animals. He makes the animal sounds and "reads" it to our dog LOL.
    Thanks @Pinkie78! What do you mean by an interactive pop up book?
  • Pinkie78 said:
    I would say word books or wordless books are the same as they can't read :). Our son loves loves loves the book wheels on the bus (it's an interactive pop up type) and a pop up book with animals. He makes the animal sounds and "reads" it to our dog LOL.
    Yes that's right but the difference is for the parent. For instance when I see text I read and my mind can be somewhere else...SO I thought such wordless books can actually inspire me to do more together with the LO.
  • Pinkie78 said:
    I prob didn't use the best lingo but this is the book. I can say without a doubt we got our money's worth. He love this so much...we have had a few pieces get ripped off but we have repaired it :)https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Bus-Paul-O-Zelinsky/dp/0525446443/ref=la_B000APO8B2_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412125478&sr=1-1
    I am checking the book on Amazon...I cannot really find any pop-up elements...Thanks for sending the link! 
  • we just got pancakes for breakfast and both boys are super into it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the tip @lana22 ! Looks great :) will check it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"