Special Needs

BIP Question.

Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
edited October 2014 in Special Needs
I met the school for the BIP today

I didn't sign the BIP, but I brought a copy of it home for my husband to review with me.

The school wants to pull DS from recess (5min+) if he doesn't follow to directions within the given window. They also advised that for older children they will pull them for the entire 30min because "they know better."

I asked if there were other alternative forms of correction (like washing tables after school, etc).

They said that they don't provide alternatives to that, "because those are punishments".

I feel that pulling him from recess would only exacerbate his difficulties, and I told them this, but they held their stance on the matter.

What options do I have if I don't agree to this?
photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: BIP Question.

• The regular public school.

I honestly get that you really don't want to move your son, but sometimes, the temporary upset is worth it.  You are fighting over every little thing with his current school, and will have to continue to do so, because they don't want your son to attend.  Now, typically, I'm as stubborn as they come, but in your particular case, the regular public school sounds like it will be more able to accommodate your son's needs.  

Why are you fighting this so hard?  Is it because the "prestige" of the charter school?  It the charter difficult to get into, and you are afraid that forfeiting his spot now will forever close that door, even if the charter is the right fit in the future?  Or is it more about how unsettling it would be to uproot him in October, after he's settled and comfortable in his class?

I said this in your last post:  even though some schools have great overall ratings, that doesn't mean they are the right fit for children with special needs.  In fact, some of the "best" schools are the worse possible placement for a child with special needs.  Our job is to find the best school for our children, not just the best school.

I know this has been really challenging for you, and I understand how much struggles with the school can affect our whole outlook and happiness, so my heart goes out to you.
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited October 2014
    Oh, I don't care about the charter.I'm preparing to be turfed at the staffing meeting.

Eta: its the thought of uprooting him after he's finally smiling and making friends in class.

I thought that they would give this a fighting chance, as they said...but you think their making it hard so i Ieave? How will me leaving in the middle of the RTI affect this whole situation?
    photo notebook.jpg 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm guessing they are hoping to wash their hands of it and just pass the whole "problem" (as they see it) onto the regular school.
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited October 2014
    Thank you ladies! We decided to sign the BIP.

The dean/ESE coordinator did "negotiate" signing off on the recess time out cap of 5min - it could be worse and have no cap, right?

Not that any of this matters, DH and I are fully prepared for DS to be turfed at the end of this, and we are fine with that.

At least when he moves, he will move with an IEP. Now, if we move today let's say, it may set us back a few months, starting from scratch all over again.
    photo notebook.jpg 

• For a kid with SN losing recess is the worst possible way of correction IMO.
    He needs that time and space to let it out and do some self regulating through physical activity.
    I think this BIP is utter crap and they were hoping to get you to move.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • "Did they embed this in a Section 504 or is it under a RTI plan?"
    Its under the RTI, not under a 504.

"How do you know this? Have they completed the MFE and told you he'll get an IEP?"
    They told me, and advocate confirmed this. The school psych said that the psych eval is so thorough that they will be utilizing it in place of an MFE. According to the school they are using the RTI (BIP) starting Monday. If at the review they find thr BIP insuccessful, a staffing meeting will take place where an IEP will be drawn up and he will then be placed immediately.

I didn't verify the timeline. I would prefer he rides this out at the charter because in spite of the difficulties he faces everyday, he is making friends and is generally a happy kid there.
    photo notebook.jpg 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"