December 2014 Moms
Options

Family practice vs pediatric only

My Dr. let me know that it's time to choose a pediatrician.  Near my house, there is a family practice that treats patients from birth all the way to geriatric care.  They have great hours and rights at the hospital I'll be delivering at.  Before setting up a consult with the,  I am curious to hear from others who have chosen a family practice instead of a pediatric only office.  Any insight?  Pros/cons?  Thank you!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

TTC since 2008
Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
 6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

Re: Family practice vs pediatric only

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Grace goes to a Pediatrician, but it's connected to the hospital system.  Growing up, I saw a Family Practice Dr.  I guess either one is okay.  I like that our pedi has access to Noah's records no matter what facility we are seen at - as well as when he arrives, she'll be in the loop with the NICU team and ready to take over his care when he comes home.    I guess it depends on your needs. 
    Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We chose a pedi for DD1 and will use the same for DD2. Their office is across the hall from my OB/gyn. I didn't really look into other options, I knew we would go with a pedi. They specialize in children's health so why not.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    We chose a pedi for DD1 and will use the same for DD2. Their office is across the hall from my OB/gyn. I didn't really look into other options, I knew we would go with a pedi. They specialize in children's health so why not.
    This, the pedi I am going to is right around the corner and they are the ones on call at my hospital for when the baby is born.  They are 30 minutes from my home but we locally only have 1 that is 5 minutes away and I have heard the wait is usually 1 hour after your appointment time.  Plus if it was a true emergency, I wouldn't go to our local ER because they are not equipped with enough staff and usually end up transporting patients by ambulance or life flight to hospitals half an hour north or south.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    We use a practice that specializes in pediatrics. We went that route because (a) we are relatively new to the area and don't have a family doctor, and (b) we felt like the practice offered better resources for child-specific issues than a GP would. For example, our daughter had brachycephaly that needed to be treated and the pediatric practice was able to refer us to a clinic that they knew treated a lot of their patients and they felt comfortable with. I'm not sure most GP practices would have those kind of relationships. Also I like that the well-baby visits are super quick and easy and there's a separate waiting room for non-sick babies. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

imageimage
  • Options
    bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited October 2014
    The girls go a pediatrician practice, but the past year we've been thinking of switching the girls to my and DH's doctor's office, because two of the doctors in the practice are pediatric certified.

HOWEVER

Our pediatrician's practice has extended hours until 9 PM and weekend hours at the downtown location (they have an office near our house and another one closer to downtown), and it's been too good to pass up having that available. Not having to schlepp the girls to urgent care or the ER when they get ear infections on Friday night or Saturday morning is pretty awesome, and honestly, that's been what's keeping us at the practice.

So, keep that in mind when looking for doctors. Afterhours care is fabulous if you can find it.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    With my son I started with a pediatrician, then when I moved I just put him with the same doctor I had. Honestly I have noticed no difference in care and it is more convenient. I will probably take little girl to the same doctor since it is close (we live in a small town- any pediatrician would entail 45 minute drive), we can all be seen the same day if there is something going on, I like them, their attached pharmacy is pretty good as well. 
  • Options
    I love my family Dr. Well, as much as I could love a Dr. I use to have a pedi and they use to tell me that #1's delays "were normal" and  I learned I had to argue more. When I switched to a family Dr. he was less concerned over "mommy is just being over protective" and had tests run and has been more proactive. Something that is awesome when you have a child on the spectrum and one with severe acid reflux. That and he listens to me more and is open to suggestions. 

Not to mention, when we see him, he asks about the other kids and SO. Yep, we all see the same person now. It use to be SO one and the kids and I another. But my old Family Dr. left (I was sad). The only thing I don't like is, he is a little harder to get into. They do have a "sick child clinic" at my Dr. office though. So if a kid is ill, I can take them in and see the PA. The other issue is the same with a PP, when baby is born, she will see the on call Pedi for her hospital stay instead of my Dr. When she is discharged, she will then be under our Dr.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Options
    My pediatrician office will see my daughters until they are 18yrs old at which point, they are free to pick their own doctor :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD has seen a family practice doctor since birth. And my new OB is actually family practice, as well. I love him so much, we are switching DD over to see him, so we can all see the same doctor. It's very convenient, and very common here. There are pediatricians in my town, but most people I know choose to go the family doctor route.
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    I really miss our family practice back in Illinois. Our doctor was great. We all saw him and it was nice because when I had issues like Thrush, he already had DD's records out and ready to check her too. Now we all have separate doctors and I hate it, I just can't find a family practice I like down here in Tx.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    I think it all boils down to what do you feel comfortable with. I always saw a family dr. growing up but with my kids they see a pediatrician. I didn't like how limited my family doctors hours were and you could never get in if you were sick. (He owns his own practice and is the only physician so getting any type of general appointment is at least a two week wait) With being blessed to be a SAHM I usually don't have to worry about hours but through my family dr it was next to impossible to get an appointment. Now the pediatrician, on the other hand, has three different office that my kids can be seen and they are connected to the hospital and will be the ones discharging LO. And the after hours is through the hospital as well and usually I can see the ped on call. If I ever have to take them. But like I said, it is whatever makes you feel like your LO is being taken care of and in a way you are comfortable with!
  • Options
    If your are going to go with a family practice dr, you need to double check and make sure they will see babies. I've worked in family practice ofices for almost 10 years, and majority of the doctors I have come across, did not see babies under 1. And if it is an office that does not typically see a lot of babies/children, they sometimes won't keep vaccinations on hand in the office (they are super expensive). Personally we are going with a pediatrician.
  • Options
    I did some scouting and the family practice right in town does see babies from birth (and will come to the hospital as well) they don't have separate waiting areas or require patients to be vaccinated (we are very pro vaccination), so I think we are going to look for a pediatrician specific office with those qualities. 

Thank you all so much for your input- finding a dr. for myself is difficult enough, and finding a dr. for a baby to be is even tougher, lol. 
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"