Baby Showers
Options

I don't go here, but I saw this....

I live in a small town and almost half the town goes to the same church. Today, in the bulletin for the service, there was a note at the bottom:

"(Name) is having a baby shower today at 1pm! It will be hosted by her mother and is located at (MTB's mom's home). Gifts aren't necessary, but welcome!"

So....this is her third baby (all boys). And her mom is throwing her a shower and inviting people via the church bulletin???

I could not suppress a snort when I saw it.
Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole

Re: I don't go here, but I saw this....

• Options
    Oh my! That just reeks of desperation. If I were MTB I would be mortified.
  • Options
    She's kind of a piece of work anyway, so I'm not at all surprised she was having another shower. I was surprised to see it advertised at the church.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Weird but not that weird. Is it a really small church? Is that the norm for them?
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Weird but not that weird. Is it a really small church? Is that the norm for them?
    Well, that was the first time I saw something like that. I went there for 14 months. It's a very small town, so our congregation is less than 500. To be fair, her family has been a part of the church for almost 30 years, so it's probably not that weird for them. It would be weirder for someone else I guess.
  • Options
    She could have saved the $$$ on the advertising space in the bulletin and you know, bought invitations for this tacky fest.
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options

It's definitely weird to have more than 1 shower. I can understand if she had never had one before, but 3!!??!! That's a little excessive. Plus personally, my mother asked for a list of people we wanted at our shower. She pretty much offered to pay and we can handle the details, but I wouldn't want a bunch of people I don't know or am not close too at my baby shower. I like the socializing aspect and I would want to feel comfortable and not overwhelmed.

• Options
    She could have saved the $$$ on the advertising space in the bulletin and you know, bought invitations for this tacky fest.
    If the family has been a part of the church for 30+ years, I doubt they paid for advertising. Goodness knows my church doesn't charge when we put stuff in our bulletin, but we also don't put stuff that isn't related to our ministries or mission specifically. 

• Options

What kind of church charges for bulletin announcements? That's not a real thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ggatlanta said:
    What kind of church charges for bulletin announcements? That's not a real thing.
    Yeah, there wasn't a charge.
  • Options
    ggatlanta said:

You make a suggested donation around here for that sort of thing. Not a lot but $25 or $50 or whatever. Our church has a school. The bulletin's revenue from the ads and announcements support some of their programs after printing costs. It is expensive to print bulletins for large urban churches. So yes this is a thing.
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"