Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

CIO question

This is only a question for those who have tried the CIO method... not looking for judgement from those who don't believe in it or haven't tried it themsleves. 

My daughter is 10 months old and has no problems at bedtime putting herself to sleep.  We will lay her down when she's drowsy, and usually within 15 mins she's asleep, without crying, just a lot of rolling/turning over... assuming to get comfortable. 

Naptime, however, is a different story.  I pretty much do the same routine as bed time (minus her sleep sack) - we either have a bottle or read a story, and i put on her sound machine (to a different tune than at night - just to differentiate when it's nap time and bed time).  She sleeps in her crib for her naps, and sleeps there at bedtime too. 

However, she cries for sometimes up to 45 minutes when it's naptime!  Not continuous crying, but bursts, some louder than others, and I know it's because she's over tired fighting her nap.  She'll roll around, stand up, bang on her crib.  Usually she's just exhaust herself and fall asleep.  i don't understand how she can be fine for bed time- almost looking forward to being laid in her crib, and kick up such a fit for naps.  She's been doing this for more than a month now.  How long does CIO last?  Will she ever just enjoy her naptime like she enjoys bedtime? 

Re: CIO question

• Options
    Is she only taking 1 nap per day?  Or does she do two naps still?  What's her overall sleep like?  If she's overtired have you moved her nap time up around 15- 30 mins so she isn't going down overtired?

My DD wasn't a great napper until around 13 mos when she dropped her morning nap and then she did much better.  She almost always slept well at night.  
  • Options
    She's at a baby sitter 3x a week, and will usually do two naps a day there, sometimes one.  On her days with me, it's always 2 naps a day.  The morning nap is around 2-3 hours after she wakes up, and it's usually easier to put her down for that one.  The afternoon nap can be a struggle, and that's about 3-4 hours after she wakes up from her morning nap.  Both naps usually last about 45 mins to an hour each.

Thanks for the feedback, btw!  Good to know it's pretty common
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree about the difficult afternoon nap. The LO are much more aware, active, interested right now which I think makes napping more difficult. DD is 11mo and fought both naps all weekend. I'm actually considering maybe moving her to one long nap.

One thing I've noticed...DD is terrible with daytime bottles. Too much to do, see etc. I sometimes think she is so fussy for naps because she's hungry. If she's been crying for like 10min and not settling, I'll give her a small bottle and that sometimes puts her over the edge to sleep. Not sure if you've tried that.
  • Options
    I like to believe that I've done the CIO method justice with my twin girls. They sleep twice a day, sometimes 3 if they get up early. I found that nap timesc where the hardest to establish. During bed time we do bath, lotion rub down, bottle in bed while we read then a story, once the story is done bottles get taken away and lights out. During nap time I change their diapers, give them a bottle and once they are done I take the bottle away and out them in their crib.

In their room I have dark blinds which helps keep the light out and I try not to do to much cuddling right before puting them down as i give them extrabig cuddles when they wake up.

When we first started CIO it was not uncommon for them to cry for 45 minutes. I started by going in every 5 minutes the first time, would lay them back down and put the blanket over them, not saying anything to them (maybe a smile and a caring caress) and leave the room again, I would extend it to every 10 minutes after the 15 minute mark. I have tried giving them soothers which just got thrown out of the crib, teddy's (which also end up on the floor). And now both of them generally go to sleep with out to much fuss. I think the key thing is as soon as your little one rubs their eyes and shows signs of sleepiness start the nap time routine.

I hope this helps and good luck in setting your nap time schedule!
  • Options
    We do CIO with DS. This is what we do for naps and bedtime:

He goes in his crib drowsy, not sleeping.
    We give him his sippy cup.
    If he cries we go in at 5, 10, and 15 min to pat his back.
    With naps, if he is still crying at 20 minutes we get him out and let him play.
    With bedtime, if he is still crying at 20 minutes we take him out, calm him down and try again.
  • Options
    Has napping always been a struggle? My daughters went through a horrible nap regression around 10-11 months that lasted 3 weeks or so. I stuck with the usual nap times we did a 2,3,4 routine and eventually it went back to normal. I did also replicate the bedtime
    Routine as much as possible, same white noise, sleep sack,song, bottle etc. You might also try putting her down a little earlier for afternoon nap as maybe she is overtired, good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Naps are tough.

At 10m, she should consistently be napping 2x a day. Can DC not put her down twice? The lack of consistency in her routine could be causing a problem also.

She may have a hard time setting for her pm nap because she's overtired. I would aim for a 3h awake time between the am nap and the pm nap, no more (so to have her asleep before the 3h mark).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"