June 2015 Moms

Obgyn midwife

This is my first pregnancy -
I have a obgyn I have gone to forever
Friends have told me having a midwife is exactly the same as an obgyn, unless you go to do a water birth or home birth which is usually out of pocket 100%.
Can anyone help me decide with extra info which is the best choice ?
I have an appointment w a midwife clinic next week for a meeting but it really seems the same as my dr ?
Opinions ?

Re: Obgyn midwife

• Oh boy I don't know if I'll be able to help with this subject seeing as I saw both an ob and midwife and they were both wonderful. My midwife was very caring and and sensitive and I loved her saw her my whole pregnancy. When it came time to induce the ob did it since she couldn't and delivered. He was awesome as well. I guess you should just feel them out see what you like best. Also my midwife was a woman and my ob was a man so maybe you might feel more comfortable with one or the other? Hope that helps!
  • If the midwife could not deliver what did she actually do for you? She isn't a dr is she ?
    I'm very into a no drug delivery but everyone tells me I'm crazy to want that.
    Am I ?
  • Loading the player...
  • I switched to a combo OB/MW practice prior to TTC. I like my office's approach to have every patient be an informed participant in their health, and their preference for low intervention pregnancies and pain-med free births was a huge bonus. I knew that I would be supported 100% in that decision.

For you, I would suggest thinking about what you want from a practice, be it OB or MW-led. Is cost your primary concern? Do you have a particular vision for your pregnancy (all things being healthy, of course)? 

When you meet with the MW ask her questions about those things that are important to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lgsdesignerlgsdesigner member
    edited September 2014
    ***posted on wrong board*** Carry on!
  • dozin23 said:
    If the midwife could not deliver what did she actually do for you? She isn't a dr is she ?  I'm very into a no drug delivery but everyone tells me I'm crazy to want that. Am I ?
    No, not at all. It's still early, but if you truly want a pain-med free birth, then check out the Natural Birth board here as a start. :)

In my opinion, MWs are more supportive than OBs when it comes to aiming for a pain-med free birth. Locally, I find my OBs a bit unusual in their support of that. If you're not certain of your OBs stance, then definitely ask them asap and if you get even a hint of suspicion that they may not be 100% on board, go elsewhere.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cost isn't an issue if I'm healthy.
    I would love a water birth or home birth but my dh is so worried bout an emergency and no dr being there
    I have heard that midwives talk n spend more time and most of them are women .
    I do feel like my current obgyn I will be rushed in and out and only told things if I ask and I hate that, but it's the world we live in today
    I'm very organic n fragrance drug free I think I want my birth that way I'm just nervous.
    I should do more insurance research to see what is covered but calling them is a hassle
    No one person on the phone knows what they r talking bout and most of them could care less too
    It's frustrating
  • Also, look into what kind of midwife you would see.  There are several different certifications for midwives and they aren't all the same.  I saw a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) practice attached to a small hospital and loved it.  My midwives did induce me and can do just about anything an OB can except c-sections.  If you needed a c-section there were on call OBs at the hospital that did the surgery.  

In general midwives take cases that are low or moderate risk and tend to have an approach with fewer interventions than OBs.  They also frequently do a lot more births with no pain medicine and may be better versed in how to handle that.  But every practice is different and also the hospital that you deliver at will have a lot to do with birth experience because of their policies.  Ask about what is important to you.  Ultimately the exact provider you have will probably matter more than if they are an OB or midwife.

BFP #1 ended with H born 2/2/13
    BFP #2 ended in loss @7weeks 10/15/14
    BFP #3 due 8/21/15 *please stick*
  • sammi2884sammi2884 member
    edited September 2014
    I agree with what others have said

I had an OB for my first pregnancy and I used to wait 4-7 hours scheduled for appointments. I literally had to learn to call ahead and see how many hours behind he was. That being said he was an amazing OB and the only thing I didn't like was the wait time.

This time I have scheduled an appointment with a midwife. I was looking for a more personal care experience this time around, and from what I have heard I feel like I can achieve that with this midwife. From what I understand, midwives offer a more personal experience in that they will spend more time at appointments, during the birth, and come for home visits postpartum. This group does births at home, or in the hospital and the midwife will do the delivery. I have the option to have meds or none. They do all of the testing, ultrasounds, etc and work with an OB if there are any complications or concerns that can't be addressed through them.

I'm not sure if it's different there or if there was something that caused the midwife to not be able to perform the actual birth in your situation (like the induction) @acethebase but I know that midwives do perform deliveries, even in the hospital @dozin23.

Good luck in your search for a care provider! Either choice, as long as its what you feel good about, is the best choice :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • acethebaseacethebase member
    edited September 2014
    Sorry I should have clarified she could have delivered but the ob wanted to see me that day and said I could head over to the hospital. So he induced and delivered... I didn't care who did it I just wanted the baby out, lol
  • Yep, I remember that feeling! Lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not all midwives and practices do water births, so be certain to ask about that.

As an example, my OB/MW delivered at a hospital that allowed many low-intervention methods for coping with labor, but the hospital did not/does not allow water births. This go around (god willing), the practice has its own birth center that does allow water births.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am leaning towards having a midwife as I like the idea of a natural birth, which midwives tend to be more supportive of.  Not to say that there aren't OB's that are also supportive of natural births, but choosing a midwife you kind of know from the get-go that they will likely be supportive.  I also like the aspect of them being more patient oriented and spending more time during appointments.  This is my first pregnancy, so I am sure I will have plenty of questions!

My main debate right now is whether to go with a CPM in a birth center, or a CNM at a hospital, but I am leaning towards birth center right now.  I am going to tour one tomorrow, so fingers crossed I like it!
  • I had a Certified Nurse Midwife for my first pregnancy. 100% recommend CNM's and I am going back to the same practice this time around.

It was in conjunction with a hospital, so during the birth when they needed an OB they called her in, she gave the go ahead, and the CNM finished the delivery (they were just watching heart beats as mine and LOs were very low). I loved going to the CNM's each appointment as they take their time and are very understanding. I saw someone different each appointment, but if I wanted I could request the same person for each appointment. The hospital did allow for water births, however there were a limited number of tubs so you had to make sure they new you were interested and hope that the hospital wasn't delivering lots of babies at the same time. Worked for me, I was able to attempt a water birth. Also I was able to deliver with no pain medication, and it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's really important to look and compare several practices because they seem to have very different philosophies and practices. I had a midwife for my first pregnancy. It was a large midwifery practice that have a wing of the maternity ward of a hospital. Some women call such practices "medwives" as a demeaning way to suggest that they aren't midwives because they practice in a hospital. I found their care to be amazing. 

It became significant to me that I was seeing a midwife during labor because I didn't want an iv and baby was in a poor position. My midwife was very supportive in getting me into a comfortable position so that the baby could move and at no point suggested anything about a c-section (as I believe many ob's might have done). I was glad to be able to be in the tub on my hands and knees for three hours. They did all of their monitoring while getting splashed by the shower while I labored.  

Had I wanted pain meds they would have given them to me. If I needed a c-section I would have been wheeled to a surgical room and an ob would have been available immediately to do it.   
  • You should schedule your first prenatal appointment with both and come prepared with a list of questions. Some OBs are very natural birth friendly. I personally prefer to see an OB because I know that in case of an emergency, he will be the one to handle it and I won't be shuffled off to a virtual stranger for interventions/c-section/etc. I've had great natural birthing experiences with both of my children through my OB so I speak from experience when I say that it is absolutely possible.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • I had a midwife with my first delevery. She stayed with us the entire delivery. I had a doctor (not an OB because we don't have any in our town) and he pretty much showed up to catch the baby then shook my husbands hand said congrats and left lol. But both times I had natural child birth without any interventions.
  • Birth center births are typically quite different. Have you known people who have delivered there? I am also looking into a midwife center birth, and watched my sister have her two babies there. There are no epidurals or emergency surgery care available, so it totally changes the vibe (in a good way, but also feels sort of scary. luckily their success rate for deliveries there is near 100% because if you have any risk they send you to the hospital instead). The one near me has king sized beds, whirlpools, etc... I'm hoping that makes up for the lack of meds :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am going to see a birthing center next week. I will also meet my obgyn as recommended
    @bintmejnuna‌ - if u don't mind me asking ( if I don't want to I understand ) how much as the home birth? Where did you have your child in the home?
    I would love to go this route but I don't know that I can, but I'm def looking Into it.
  • I need to do more research for midwives in the area that do this.
    My dh is nervous not having a dr around and I live in very very northern nj near the gwb. Traffic is a bear Alll the time and he is concerned with the amount of time to get to a hospital if something goes terribly wrong.
    That is not an expensive route to go. That I can totally swing!
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to continue to lerk around on the Internet and ask for recommendations for places in the area
  • We had a midwife last time and I wouldn't change anything.  I had my care transferred to an obgyn for delivery due to pre-eclampsia but my midwife caught it very quickly and called me at 9:30pm to get into the hospital to have things checked out.  My midwife was there for the delivery advocating for me despite things going very different from what I wanted.  She made sure that my preferences were adhered to by the obgyn when I was is no condition to do so.  Our prenatal vista were nice and long so she always had time to answer all of my questions and give me different scenarios and both sides to any possible arguments.  The post-natal care was amazing... having someone on call 24/7 for the first week with home visits was so  great!  I didn't end up with a natural birth like I had wanted BUT I have no regrets about DD's birth despite everything because of the care that my midwife gave during the birth.  She made a potentially disappointing experience into one that I was comfortable with.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Everyone has such great stories.
    I hope my birth ends up this amazing
    Thank you
  • We went to see a midwife today
    The talking n going over everything made me very comfortable and excited
    She understood my needs and why I'm so into a home birth
    Seems like the cost of a home birth out of pocket non insurance is 6000$
    They told me I need to live within 30 minutes of a hospital, which we do , and they will know before delivery if I have to go to the hospital rather than have the birth at home
    Because of breech or position. Of complications w placenta. Or complications w me like diabetics or thyroid issue
    It was really what I'm looking for
    Thank you for helping me to educate myself and take in your stories and info from the midwife to figure out what I want
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"