TTC after 35

Obese DH and age not on our side

Hey guys...
New to the boards but, have been lurking. I am overweight and my hubby is obese (BMI 41.) Our doctor didn't want to give us infertility treatment until we ttc for 6 mo... We are in month 2... My hubby is 36 and I'm 37... I ovulate regularly---no major problems. Is there hope when he is so big? Has anyone tried FertilAid?

Thanks!
TTC#1, I'm 37, DH 36 | Just started trying Sept 2014
Going in for first RE appt. in October...Preparing for good or bad news. 
Trying to be chill about the process...and not get too intense about it all. 
It's hard to be chill. 

Re: Obese DH and age not on our side

• Welcome!  I'm sure you'll find support here and I offer best wishes.  My dh is overweight, not sure of bmi, and we have been able to conceive.  How do you know you ovulate, do you chart?  I use fertility friend a wonderful tool I suggest you google if you haven't prior to now.
  • I don't really have anything useful to add - but Welcome and good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Welcome, and good luck!

Me: 35, He: 41. Baby #1!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Welcome and good luck!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Welcome and good luck!  Has your DH had a SA?  That should help you determine if his weight is impacting his hormone balance and sperm production.
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
    DH hasn't had a SA... I'll look into it right away! Thanks...I think I ovulate, because my periods are regular, I see the change in temp/CM and my cycles average 30 days? But, maybe I should insist our doctor do a work up now... Hmmm... So much to think about.
    It's hard to be chill. 

• Welcome to you! 

I would echo @kelley72's suggestion to start temping. Fertility Friend has some great tutorials. Temping will allow you to confirm that you are ovulating each month. Many women also use OPKs to identify their hormonal surge leading up to ovulation. It's possible to time your sex within the day or two of ovulation. You can get a batch of cheap OPKs called Wondfos on Amazon.com. They are much cheaper than drugstore-bought OPKs.

The rule of thumb is to start testing after six months of well timed sex. I am not sure that weight has a correlation with sperm quality, but you can always have your husband get a SA now or in four months.

The ladies on this board are a tremendous support. 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• @verdongirl, I'm sorry to hijack your intro thread!

@URMySunshine, weight definitely can impact sperm production (here's an article about it), but of course it doesn't always.  Also, for women, obesity can apparently not only prevent ovulation, it can worsen egg quality (see here).  Another reason for me to figure out a way to exercise...
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Davie813 said:
    @verdongirl, I'm sorry to hijack your intro thread!

@URMySunshine, weight definitely can impact sperm production (here's an article about it), but of course it doesn't always.  Also, for women, obesity can apparently not only prevent ovulation, it can worsen egg quality (see here).  Another reason for me to figure out a way to exercise...
    @Davie813: Thanks for letting me know! I am always learning things here.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Ditto - thanks @Davie813 !!
  • Welcome to the board and Good Luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Hi good luck. My DH is also overweight but his issues have nothing to do with his size
  • verdongirlverdongirl member
    edited October 2014
    Ladies! Thank you soooo much for the encouragement and suggestions. I admire how much you guys know about this stuff. I will do more homework and start temping! I, too, read that obesity in men effects their sperm. I scheduled us for a work up at a clinic next month just to be sure we are in the ballpark.

Isn't it crazy how I've been in this body for years and don't know very much about how it works?!
    It's hard to be chill. 

edited October 2014
    @clgsquared‌ : Welp, you were right. Ovia says my luteal phase is only 11 days. (Without temps...just data from last 5 cycles) I've read up on it a bit more and thought everything was fine because my cycle was 29 days. This could be the culprit. I guess hormonal imbalances might be an issue for me. Pretty bummed. DH's take home SA was pretty good. But, we'll know for sure next week. We see an RE and that might give us a little bit of hope. 

The thing is, I'm okay if we can't conceive. I just really want to know and brace myself for what's ahead. It's the not-knowing that makes everything so hard. :/
    It's hard to be chill. 

• SchruteBucksSchruteBucks member
    edited October 2014
    My husband and I are both obese, him more so, and we were able to conceive.  It took several months, but less than a year.  We're currently TTC again for the fourth time and in our second month of trying.  Good luck to you!
    Me 41  DH 33  Married 09/03/2011
    DD1  EDD 08/18/01, born 08/03/2001 ~ 9lbs 10oz, 21.5 in
    DS1  EDD 4/30/2004, born 05/04/2004 ~ 10lbs, 22 in
    mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    DD2  EDD 12/25/12, born 12/30/12 ~ 10lbs 11oz, 21.25 in
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks
    Cautiously expecting 12/02/16

edited October 2014
    @schrutebucks (awesome name): Thanks! So cool that your #1 was born on Christmas, btw. 
    It's hard to be chill. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"