May 2014 Moms

Sleeping in Crib

Anyone else having difficulty putting their LO down to sleep in their crib? My son is almost 5 months and sleeps in his RNP but he's starting to get too big for it.

Answers

• DS2 (my May '14 baby) does sleep in his crib, but recently it has been a lot of back and forth of rocking him to sleep and putting him down several times before he stays put for several hours.

DS1 (a May '12 baby) refused to be put in his crib ever. If he stirred at all when we put him down, it was screaming bloody murder the instant he realized what was happening. We co-slept for two years as a result. Sorry i don't have much advice - just sharing how amazingly different their personalities can be - DS1 was like that from the start, not due to anything I did.

• Same here. We did one night in the crib in the magic sleep suit (up every 2-3 hrs) but then she had her shots and I caved -- back to the RnP so a tired little girl (and her tired mama) could get some sleep. Tonight we're trying the crib again. Not looking forward to the sleepless night to come but I know it has to be done.
  • Loading the player...
  • We transitioned out of the RNP at 4 months. It was a hard time to do it, but she was almost flipping clear out of it, so I had to do it. I started in the PNP, but then realized she exceeded the weight limit for the top part, and picking her up from the floor part was a PITA. Plus, the mattress is so thin in the PNP, I figured the crib would be more comfortable. She had to get used to the flatness and the openness. At this point (about a month later), she's still up probably 2-4 times per night. Not sure how much was transition to crib and how much is 4 month wakeful. Now I'm dealing with feet getting caught in slats. Argh. Good luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We also just moved her from RNP to crib at 4 months.  It went a lot better than I anticipated.  She wasn't waking up at all, but now she wakes up maybe a couple of times around 4-5am, but putting her paci back in or just letting her fuss for a few minutes will fix it.  If she continually wakes up, I bring her back into her RNP or next to me in bed so I can get 1-2 more hours of sleep before time to get up.  Like pp said, not sure if it is transition to crib or 4 month wakeful, but all in all it has gone really well considering she won't even dream of let me putting her in her crib for a nap.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DD was 4 months on the 20th and I started putting her in her crib the day after that. She does great and sleeps 10-12 hours. I lay her in the crib and give her the pacifier. I usually have to give it back to her a few times before she falls asleep.
  • We went from her sleeping in a bassinet to crib around 3 months and it's been going great. Maybe it makes it easier if my LO has been used to sleeping on a flat surface?
  • DS had been sleeping great in his crib since 3 months, when we transitioned from the RNP. But the past couple of weeks he's been waking up at 1 am or crying when we try to put him down in the crib. Not sure what is going on, but went back to taking awesome naps in the RNP and we've been co-sleeping at night. We're going to transition him back to the crib this week/end. Depends on what night(s) I decide I'm willing to sacrifice sleep if necessary...
  • We had so many sleep issues at the beginning- I haven't seen our LO sleep on any flat surface for over an hour ever. :/ finally, when she was a month and a half old, we bought a rnp and LOVE it. It's our saving grace. I'm positive our LO has reflux issues (she spits up a lot if not held up), and I think that's why she can't sleep flat... But in the rnp she's ok. I'm thinking why start experimenting with different meds when the rock n play works so well. We very well may use it until she's the recommended weight of 25 lbs.
  • We started DS in the rock n play because of his reflux til he was 6 weeks. Then moved him to the PNP for about 4 weeks then to his crib. Transition went really smooth for the most part and I'm glad we did it early. I hear all these horror stories the later you do it so I'm thankful we did when we did. I got paranoid about him sleeping in the RNP because he couldn't stretch out all the way I couldn't imagine him still sleeping in it especially because he can roll and it's I'm sure not good for them at this age if so!
  • Since my lo was born she has co-slept with me at 4 months we transitioned to her crib! It was definitely rough at first but now she sleeps through the night. She is 5 months today! Hang in there mammas, it will happen. ( :
  • Wtf with the rondos?
    imageimageimage

• It took a solid 2 nights of DD crying and flipping over before she got comfy in her crib. It was really hard and prior I had given up and jutst kept putting her back in the rnp, but like pp she was getting too big for it and would rock it when she would move around. Once you start with the crib, I say stick with it. DD has been in hers a week now and only wakes once for her motn feeding and that's it. Good luck!
  • We moved DD from cosleeper to crib at 10 weeks and had no issues.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• My son is still in the RNP. The problem is that he is too long for it. His legs are really getting scrunched up, but he doesn't seem to care.
    I need to get him in the crib, but he has also only slept for thirty mins tops in there. I'm hoping that at night he is extremely tired and just stays asleep through a miracle or something.
  • My son is still in the RNP. The problem is that he is too long for it. His legs are really getting scrunched up, but he doesn't seem to care. I need to get him in the crib, but he has also only slept for thirty mins tops in there. I'm hoping that at night he is extremely tired and just stays asleep through a miracle or something.
    This exactly
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

• Since day 1 we alternated between the crib, swing and bouncy chair depending on DS's mood. Now we put DS in his crib if he's mostly asleep. He won't STTN in the crib though so we still use the swing when desperate.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It was really hard
    Our little guy was in a bassinet in our room until 3mo. We stopped swaddling him at 2 mo but the bassinet was still cozy. When we moved him to the crib he would cry and flail his legs...I think it must have felt so big to him! Once e fell asleep he was fine but getting him to sleep was a nightmare!

It took a few weeks for him to get used to it. I out him in it during the day for 5-10 min at a time to get used to it- that helped. Now he is doing okay and rolling around!!!
  • BKD1386 said:
    My son is still in the RNP. The problem is that he is too long for it. His legs are really getting scrunched up, but he doesn't seem to care. I need to get him in the crib, but he has also only slept for thirty mins tops in there. I'm hoping that at night he is extremely tired and just stays asleep through a miracle or something.
    This exactly
    Ditto.
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

• We moved her from the RNP to PNP a couple weeks ago. The first night was rough with frequent wake-ups, but since then I think she's actually slept even better. When she wakes up she seems happier and kicks around a little and goes back to sleep a lot of the time. I don't know if there's any way to make the transition easier. I haven't tried the magic sleep suit though.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • Esbi25 said:

DS2 (my May '14 baby) does sleep in his crib, but recently it has been a lot of back and forth of rocking him to sleep and putting him down several times before he stays put for several hours.

DS1 (a May '12 baby) refused to be put in his crib ever. If he stirred at all when we put him down, it was screaming bloody murder the instant he realized what was happening. We co-slept for two years as a result. Sorry i don't have much advice - just sharing how amazingly different their personalities can be - DS1 was like that from the start, not due to anything I did.

@Esbi25‌ How did you get DS1 out of your bed? Besides the obvious having a baby. My LO is just like that. I need hope she won't be in my bed forever.
    BabyName Ticker
  • pandadair said:

You people use your crib for something other than holding clean baby laundry that you're too lazy to fold? Wtf.

Ha right?! I leave a small space cleared so I can put her down occasionally to use the bathroom. I have no clue when she might actually sleep in it!
  • I'm also freaking out because my LO has reflux and was just playing on the floor and choked in his spit up. It startled him so much that he was screaming! I walked out of the room for one second (husband was with him) and I think he must have stopped breathing for a second and it scared him.
    How am I supposed to feel comfortable with him in his own room?!
  • LO is back in RnP here...we tried crib for two weeks and it was hell...debating when to try again. I don't have much of a choice as LO is getting too big and I fear he will flip it somehow.
  • We transitioned at 5 weeks  & put the RNP in her room for a few naps then at night. Then moved to crib for naps then at night. I was a process! but it worked and she loves her crib now. She was swaddled when we did it so that helped and now she's in a zippy sack since she has been able to roll over.
  • DD slept in the RNP for the first 3 months. Then she stopped sleeping soundly in it - I guess she wasn't comfortable anymore. Moved her to the PNP since her room was on a different floor and it was a nightmare until we realized that she's a stomach sleeper. 

Since we moved and DD's room is on the same floor, she has been in her crib for a month (she's now 5 months) and sleeps SO much better than in the RNP or the PNP.
  • Esbi25 said:

DS2 (my May '14 baby) does sleep in his crib, but recently it has been a lot of back and forth of rocking him to sleep and putting him down several times before he stays put for several hours.

@Esbi25‌ How did you get DS1 out of your bed? Besides the obvious having a baby. My LO is just like that. I need hope she won't be in my bed forever.
    We decided to go ahead and get a big boy bed a few months before he turned two (in May so also when baby brother was due). I think the idea of not being trapped in like a crib was more appealing to him. It was still a tough transition out of my bed and did involve some crying. But, I could easily sit beside his bed and have my hand on him and sing him to sleep. Now his dad plays him songs on the guitar at bedtime every night while I get the baby to sleep.

But, like I said, it was still a little tough. He has always had a bit of a dramatic personality. For me it was just easier to make that transition when he was older and had a greater understanding of what was happening. He sleeps MUCH better now, too. He may wake once and cry out but then goes back to sleep. In my bed (though this was several months ago, so he has grown up a lot too), he would wake many times and need comforting even though he was in bed with me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"