Special Needs
Options

School SLP

SO I got a daily report that said that DS refused to work for her so they did not work on therapy.

Can you please tell me if this has happened to you? What should I do?

I so wanted to respond with so will you be making up lost time later in the week? I did not respond because everything that came out was snarky.

TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: School SLP

• Options
    I have never had any of the school therapists in the preschool respond in this way. I am under the assumption they kept trying with DS and various reinforcers to complete a task until time was up.

I did have the experience of a private COTA who sent DS 4 times home and 2 of those times were documented. We never went back after that due to not being a good fit anymore. This was over a year ago.

I am sure it was a one time bad day.
  • Options
    Is this a new therapist? 

DS1 likes to test out new therapists pretending he can't do things that he can do or refusing to work.

Also, I figure that everyone has off days or days they just don't want to work.

You need to contact her to find out if this is consistent, or did he just refuse this one session.

Personally, I'm grateful when our therapists give up on DS1 for a session because it reinforces that he has the power to say no (he is intellectually disabled and cognitively delayed).  It also keeps his trust in them that they won't hurt him or push him too hard.  

If it was every session, then either a different approach has to happen, they need to a build a better rapport with your LO, or he needs a new therapist.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would speak with your son and check in with the teacher and SLP about the day depending on how much he shares and what info you get.
    Was the class doing something special he was missing (watching a video/getting extra recess time/etc) and he was upset so SLP just let it go since it was a one off, did he refuse to engage despite her making reasonable efforts to encourage him, and so on.  
    I wouldn't be too concerned about one day of this things happen, heck the SLP or your son could be sick and he'll miss a day. If it's a one time thing I'd just speak with your son about how important it is for him to work with the SLP during speech and that if there is a problem he can tell you and her and y'all can try to figure out something.
    if it is on going then yes more needs to be done. 
    Also how long has he been doing speech this year? 
    DD's ABA school doesn't force or push work the first couple weeks to give the kids a chance to bond and settle in. So is it possible that being early in the year the SLP felt that it was better to gain his trust/cooperation by not pushing him yet while they get to know one another?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well school has been in session for almost 2 months next Friday.

You all bring some good insight to think about! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"