3rd Trimester
Options

Group B positive and scared

Hello. First time mama here. I am due in two weeks and my group B step test has come back positive. The nurse sounded very nonchalant about the result and explained that I would need antibiotics during labor but I am still so scared. Is induction the safest route to avoid infecting the baby? Should I push that with the OB? I live and work some distance from the hospital and am so afraid I won't make it in time to receive a full dose of antibiotics.

Any words of encouragement would be most appreciated!

Re: Group B positive and scared

• Options
    imakeeff0rtsimakeeff0rts member
    edited September 2014
    It's NBD. You get some antibiotics, and you're fine. Very, very rarely is it passed onto the baby.

ETA: Like PP said, it's no reason to induce. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My understanding it that it is NBD.  I haven't been tested yet, but my doc and my birthing class instructor addressed this like it was nothing.  A friend of mine recently had her first LO.  She was positive and in all her stories to me about the L&D, she's never mentioned this as something that was an issue.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    It's very common and nothing to worry about. I was GBP with DS. It's really NBD at all. It just means you get a round of antibiotics before delivery.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    As all the PP's said it's no big deal... I was GBS+ for both of my previous pregnancies.  The first time around I was only in the hospital for 3 1/2 hours before DD was born.  The doc said a full dose would have been 4 hours, so they just kept an eye on DD, she was fine.

The antibiotics are a precaution anyway, just because you are GBS+ doesn't mean you would pass it on to the baby... just there is a greater chance of it happening.
    December 2014 November Siggy Challenge: How I Feel in Third Tri

Mom to DD(4), DS(2) and # 3 Due 12/14/14

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Not a big deal at all. I was GBS positive and had my baby last Saturday...there was barely time to get an IV started before I was pushing, so I didn't get any antibiotics. They had us stay an extra day and will watch your little one a bit more closely, but it isn't something to stress over. Talk to your provider about your fears. It's likely that the only change they'll want is for you to come to the hospital a bit earlier.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I was GBS positive with my DD.  Labor progressed very quickly with her and I only got to the hospital 10 minutes before she was born.  I almost had her in the car!  Needless to say, I didn't have time to get any of the antibiotics but she was fine.  They just monitored her and kept a watch on her temperature. 

My midwives told me that the real risk of the baby getting infected is if you have prolonged rupture of membranes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"