May 2015 Moms
Options

New mom..... on the move??

Hi all -- I am new to this birth club and am looking for some major unbiased advice.  We just found out we are pregnant (6 weeks today!) The same day I got the official word from the Doctor that I was, in fact, pregnant, my husband came home to tell me that he got offered a job in Texas.  During a time I feel should be going so differently, and a during a time I should be so more excited because we are having our first child, I am so incredibly sad and torn.  The job he has been offered is an amazing opportunity, a 50% salary bump. I'm struggling because I have a job here that I love, that I have worked so hard for, we haven't even lived in our new home, which I also love, for more than three years, and all of our family and friends... our support system... is here.  If he accepts and we move, we would leave in January, which would mean getting a new Doctor when I'm comfortable with the one I have, and giving birth in a completely unfamiliar place with no family and friends around.  Please help, any advice would be so great.

Re: New mom..... on the move??

• Options
    First of all, breathe. It's a lot to take in! Second, realize that if you do move, there will be a transition period, but you will build a support system there as well. Third, remember that Texans are pretty friendly people. (And I'm totally free of bias, as a Canadian!) Fourth, think about some of the good points connected to the move, other than a happy husband and a bigger salary (which are in themselves nothing to sneeze at). Can you imagine another house you would enjoy just as much? Is the weather in Texas better than where you are now? Will your friends and family be excited to visit? Having a baby is a great opportunity to meet new people, so I would consider it as a chance to expand your horizons and experience a new place. However, I would also think about things that you will need to be happy over the long term, for example, childcare so you can look for another job you love (unless you could continue to work from there?), or frequent house guests to make you feel less home sick.  Then, once you'e had a chance to carefully consider the pluses and minuses, and to envision what a smooth transition could look like, discuss all this with your husband before you make a decision together. This is what I would do, at least.

• Options
    Depending on where you're moving from a 50% bump in tx could mean a pretty big change in lifestyle. Because of the economy, lots of people are moving to TX and us natives are typically pretty friendly so meeting new people should not be hard.

I like to make lists of pros and cons when making a decision. Good luck!
                          January Siggy Challenge: You had one job

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We currently live in Wisconsin! Which is why I appreciate your profile picture
  • Options
    Cbrandt my husband would be working in Galveston, so we would be living somewhere around there! I want to work after baby but I can't transfer with my job so I have to do some research!
  • Options
    Another Texan here and I agree with everyone else about how friendly everyone is here.  Moving to another state is definitely a big decision and move to make, and being pregnant makes it much harder.  But, like others have said, look at the whole picture and how it will impact your life/family in the long run.  Texas has some of the best schools, great economy, friendly people and great weather most of the year.  There are a lot of pluses to moving here, so at least you've got all that going for you.

What part of Texas would you move to?
    Newest blog post 4/23/15
    Anniversary

• Options
    mrsvee19 said:
    Cbrandt my husband would be working in Galveston, so we would be living somewhere around there! I want to work after baby but I can't transfer with my job so I have to do some research!
    Another Wisconsinite right here! My husband's best friend actually moved to Galveston 3 years ago and LOVES it. I am not sure if he will ever find his way back to Wisconsin. I completely understand where you are coming from because I truly love Wisconsin. BUT maybe you could look at this as a new adventure and at least try it out? Was the job he is offered through the company he is already working for? Is there the option to move back to Wisconsin after sometime in Galveston? I can't imagine having to make this decision during such an already new/exciting/stressful time but I definitely wish you luck! I love the idea of a pro/con list. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married: 9/21/13
    TTC #1: 4/1/14
    BFP: 9/16/14 (A damn good 1 year anniversary present)
  • Options
    I know how you feel I wasn't pregnant at the time but my husband was offered an incredible opportunity earlier this year. I have a 7 and 4 year old and we moved 8 months ago to Charleston SC from Virginia where I have lived for the last 25 years of my life so the transition is slow going. I still don't feel like this is home it has been hard for my kids they miss having all of our family close by but it's been an adventure and there are new things to do and see which is nice. I say sit down with your husband and make a pro and con list and try to make the best decision for your family. Good Luck moving is hard and moving while pregnant done it twice to different houses in same town was hard moving across state lines will be stressful but remember to breathe and you will get through it.
  • Options
    You are all so AMAZING! Thank you for taking the time to help me through this. Maybe it's the hormones but it makes me tear up! We are doing a pro/con list tonight and we have a plan to visit Texas in November.
  • Options
    Another Texan here and I agree with PP: Texans are friendly, there is a great economy, cost of living is cheaper, lots to do and the coldest time of the year is typically Jan/Feb and let's just say it never snows but it's cold to us ;)! We visit Galveston at least once a year and it's a nice but small community and there are lots of older historical areas which are nice.

I can't imagine facing an out of state move but I do agree that a pay increase could give you more time at home. Depending on what you do for a living, I'm sure there are options nearby. You could also find a home in between downtown Houston and Galveston which could give you more options for jobs.

• Options
    Ebola. Is spreading in texas and i think that if u can make it fine here then stay
  • Options
    wanda&O said:
    Ebola. Is spreading in texas and i think that if u can make it fine here then stay
    Wrong. One person has it, and they're monitoring anyone who had contact with him with none having shown signs of having contracted it so far. Please don't spread misleading information.

BabyFruit Ticker  image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"