Stay at Home Moms

Diono Radian RXT as a booster?

DS has a diono radian rxt that I was considering switching to a booster. He's in a full back (Clek oobr) booster in dh's car and does great with it. I noticed in the diono manual that the weight requirement is 50 lbs for it to be used as a booster. Is there a reason for the higher than average weight requirement? Almost all the others I come across are 40 lbs. DS weighs 45'm
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diono Radian RXT as a booster?

• Diono has never said their reasoning, but carseat techs all say that you must follow the manual. There's a very good chance that for children under 50 lbs it did not pass testing as a booster, so that would be why there is a 50 lb weight minimum. Unfortunately very very few kids hit 50 lbs before the tops of their ears go over the top of a radian shell, so it's basically useless in booster mode for most children.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks @penguingrrl‌ I'm going to have to look carefully the next time he's in the seat bc it seems like he's already getting too tall for it even though he's nowhere near the 57" maximum.,,,,he must have inherited my long torso!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks @penguingrrl‌ I'm going to have to look carefully the next time he's in the seat bc it seems like he's already getting too tall for it even though he's nowhere near the 57" maximum.,,,,he must have inherited my long torso!
    My girls both inherited DHs long torso (not from me; I'm just a hair over 5' and there's nothing about me described as "long") and both outgrew the radian heigh-wise right around 4 years old and 40 lbs. Very few kids get anywhere near 57" before outgrowing the radian, though. Not sure if I've ever heard of a kid who did make it to over 50" before their ears went over the top.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LatteLady5LatteLady5 member
    edited October 2014
    Diono has never said their reasoning, but carseat techs all say that you must follow the manual. There's a very good chance that for children under 50 lbs it did not pass testing as a booster, so that would be why there is a 50 lb weight minimum. Unfortunately very very few kids hit 50 lbs before the tops of their ears go over the top of a radian shell, so it's basically useless in booster mode for most children.
    All of this. There is really only one all in one seat that actually functions in all modes and that is the Graco 4ever. All other seats marketed as AIO do not work in at least one mode.

How old is he? I recommend kids stay harnessed until they are at least five even if they meet height and weight requirements simply because the vast majority of four year olds are not mature enough to sit appropriately. There are however a few exceptions and if you're able to see he sits correctly all the time and he's outgrown his seat in harnessed mode, you can transition to a different hbb.

ETA: I'm a CPST

CSFL has a good article discussing booster readiness.

https://csftl.org/harness-or-booster-when-to-make-the-switch/

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"