Breastfeeding

xpost: twins not emptying breast and still hungry

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, but lurking has been very helpful. I have six week old twin girls (born at 37.5 weeks) and am looking for help or just support. I do have a home visit scheduled with an LC but in the meantime I was hoping for your thoughts. My girls nurse for 45-60 minutes a session. They seem done but then are still hungry but won't nurse any more. I can pump after a session like this and get up to 4 oz total so there is still milk there they are not getting. After a session like this they will each eat 2-3 oz of either pumped breast milk (if I have time to pump - it's hard with twins to wrangle) or formula if I have to. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am using nipple shields due to latching problems initially and am wondering if this has something to do with it. I have started weaning the twin with the better latch off the nipple shield but it is a work in progress. Also wondering if b/c they are also getting bottles they are getting lazy at the breast. I do use low flow nipples and try to pace the bottle feeds. I Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel.
Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
IUI #1-2 BFN
IUI #3 BFP = C/P
IUI #4-6 BFNs
IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: xpost: twins not emptying breast and still hungry

• Mine are still bad at breastfeeding at 3 months of age but I keep trying. They don't empty the breast and won't latch for more than 30 min. They take a bottle after of pumped milk.

I would go with @AnotherDreamer‌ s advise. My ship have sailed I think and I will be in pumping hell forever :)

• @AmyG*‌ true, however their transfer is very poor so 30 min usually equates to about 2oz, which is not enough to fill them up.

• Loading the player...
  • Hey everyone, thanks for all your advice! It's going a bit better and I have been able to get them to take less formula. Actually so far today they've only had breast milk which is great. It's funny, I think the difference is that my mom went home. She was a HUGE help - don't get me wrong. When she was here - she stressed a lot when the babies started crying after a feeding (she was just worried about them being hungry/not getting enough - totally understandable) and I would feel pressure to give formula so they would be satisfied instead of putting them back on the breast. Now that I'm on my own during the day, I've been able to just keep putting them back on the breast for the most part and this seems to be working. We have another weighed feeding on Monday which should be helpful.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards