3rd Trimester
Options

Possibily of being induced, thoughts/experiences from others

Hi ladies,

I tend to lurk on the bump app quite a lot and think that you all give great honest advice so am seeking some for myself.

I'm currently 36 + 3 weeks pregnant (FTM), I developed hydronephrosis at 27 weeks which lead to kidney stones (worst experience of my life) and spent a couple of weeks in hospital. Once the stones passed I have been relatively symptom free and have continued with work and life as usual, until recently where I have been getting UTIs requiring antibiotics and needing to take pain relief for pain in the side that the swollen kidney is on.

I've had more kidney scans which have revealed that the hydronephrosis is worsening, my OB has mentioned the possibly of being induced at 37 weeks due to this however will not give me a yes or no answer whenever I see him, the urology consultant has basically said they want to perform a small operation involving fitting a stent to drain my kidney but would want to hold off doing so until baby is born, then they are saying that it's nothing for me to worry about even though it's getting worse. My OB gives conflicting messages when ever I see him one minuet he says for me not to worry and then the next conversation he says things like 'next time I see you I might do an internal exam, then I might do a sweep which might induce labour'.

Basically I'm seeing him Thursday, I'll still be just under 37 weeks so I know that he won't induce me that day but I'm at a stage now where it's starting to cause me stress wondering will my baby be here in 5 days with complications or will I go on until he's ready to come naturally which could be another month causing damage to my own organs.

People that I've spoke to have said things along the lines of 'push him to induce you early' which after reading about labour induction seems like irresponsible advice as I want my baby to come when he's ready and without complications however it's causing me stress and the bigger I'm getting the more pain I'm getting. I feel like I need to go on Thursday having made and either tell him that I would like to be induced or firmly tell him no not unless it's a life or death situation.

What would you do in this situation? And does anyone have any experience of being induced? as I've been reading online and most of them are horror stories or websites that just outline the risks associated.

Thank you, sorry it's long!

Re: Possibily of being induced, thoughts/experiences from others

• Options
    ive been induced, but it was because my babies have never been interested in coming out on their own. I just stay pregnant. I will dilate and will have regular contractions but nothing ever progresses to active labor, that being said, I havent had an issue really with the kinds of complications that can come with induction, because my body was already ready to dilate, it just needed a booster. I think at 37 weeks your baby will be fine. The biggest risk you have is your body not being ready and not cooperating and you have to have a c-section. i would ask if any of the meds they would be giving you, like if you had a c-section or an induction, affect the kidney's at all, so you can know if its going to make that part of it worse or not. Then you just have to decide which pain you want to deal with and which is unbearable for you. 
  • Options
    I was induced with my first but I was overdue and already 3 cm dilated. It really went well and I would do it again if needed. My concern in your case is like what Ditalion said that your body may not cooperate especially if you're not effaced or dilated I'd be concerned induction may lead to a c section.

I think at 37 weeks you should be fine but I'd be worried baby may not be ready yet. I think they just changed the term guidelines so full term isn't until 39 weeks. Each situation is different though sorry can't be more help. Baby would probably be okay but every week helps. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Every situation is unique but while I am personally scared of the idea of a c-section, I would take that over going into kidney failure any day of the week. 

Work with your doctors to weigh out your risks - you want to maximize the benefits to the baby while minimizing the risks to your health. Make sure that you voice all of your fears and concerns and don't be afraid to push your doctors to explain all the pros and cons surrounding your options. There is no guarantee either way, so your best bet is to make the most informed choice you can. 
  • Options
    I was induced at 37+3 with my DS due to low amniotic fluid. It was only a 5 hour labor from start to finish. Very "easy" from what I've read about being induced. I was already dilating at previous appointments, but only to 1cm, so maybe it helped that my body was starting to get ready. I had no issues with being induced that you can read about. It was just really fast, but that was okay with me at that point!

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    Thank you for the responses, I would love to get a second opinion from a MFM but the nhs in the UK is so limited in choice. Unless you have complications your whole pregnancy is midwife lead and you don't see a doctor at all, then if there is any complications you get to see the consultant a few times but there is only one consultant in my county so you have no choice in seeing anybody different.

Everytime I've seen him I've waited over an hour in the waiting room, the appointment has been rushed, there has always been at least 1 (sometimes 3) medical students in the room sitting staring at me and the consultant is forgien (polish I think) so unfortunately there is a slight language barrier between us and I never feel like he fully understands my concerns.

I agree with you all and my body not being ready and suddenly requiring a c section is a horrible thought and not something I willingly want to put myself or my baby through unless it really is needed. However it is reassuring to read everyone's posts about being induced without any major complications.

I'm making my partner take the afternoon off work Thursday and come to the appointment with me as I feel every time I go on my own I just get rushed in and out and leave more confused than when I went in but I know my partner will be more persistent. He asked questions about everything when I was in hospital whereas I was more accepting just thinking 'they're the professionals they know what they're doing'.

So hopefully I will have a clear answer after Thursday, I hope all is well with your pregnancies :-)
  • Options
    If you didn't induce could you have any complications besides increased pain? Is it possible to get some pain medication to help you ride out the next couple weeks? Inductions can go just fine, it just depends on how your body reacts and how the induction is done. I'd definitely demand more answers from your doctor. I'm sorry he's not the best communication wise. Sending good thoughts for a healthy baby and relief from your pain!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"