April 2014 Moms
Options

BTDT pumping mums...

How old was LO when you decided to give up pumping at work? LO is 5.5 months now, we are starting to give solids though not majorly as she cant sit on her own yet, and she is already supplemented with formula. I am beginning to HATE pumping, and am really noticing my supply is starting to go down. I want to keep going as long as possible but am finding it a challenge mentally to keep it up, I frequently want to just throw my pump out the window! advice? DH wants me to keep going so I admit that's always in the back of my mind as well.
Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016

Re: BTDT pumping mums...

• Options
    I can't recall exactly when I threw in the towel with pumping when DS was a baby but I am pretty sure it was before he was 6 months. I kept nursing early in the morning and at night for a couple more months though.

With this one I am working PT so I only have to pump three days a week which is much better, so I am sticking it out a while longer. But every week I am dipping into my freezer stash so I will have to at least supplement at some point.

I really hate pumping and have a hard time finding the time to do it at work because I am part time. I completely understand not wanting to do it anymore. You can always try to keep your early morning and night time nursing sessions if you want your LO to continue to get some BM.
    But when you are ready to stop there is nothing at all wrong with doing so. And sorry but your DH does not get to override you. Your boobs - you get to decide when enough is enough.

• Options
    I am down to one pumping session at work. He gets one BM bottle per day and nurses at night. I needed to stop for my sanity and it's been great! I feel good that we made it this long (6months on the 4th) and still get to nurse him at night.

I don't think your DH is being fair pumping is a crazy big commitment.

Good luck with your decision!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I EP and had been pumping 5 times per day for a long while and was producing more than she needed. When DD turned 6 months I got myself down to only 3 times per day - with one of those being during the workday.

When I get up the nerve I'm going to go down to 2x per day pumping total, with zero during the work day...but I'm psyching myself out b/c I've been able to keep from supplementing so I feel like we're doing good...but I hate pumping and the time it takes away from other things, so we really aren't doing that good.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    @eme520 holy crap that must be one healthy freezer stash you have going! My cousin recently texted me a pic of her pump parts washed and drying to be packed up for good. I was/am massively jealous.

With dd1 I kept pumping until 11 mos. I did start dropping pump sessions at 9 or 10 months. But at 11 mos I had the stash to keep her in BM through her birthday and for a transition period (BM mixed with WCM).

This time... Not sure how long I'll last. I'll feel sorta guilty if I stop with her before I did with her sister, but life is different now. And it's not like formula is bad for them. So we'll see. I'll admit, DH's encouragement helps keep me going.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    LaNorte said:
    I feel you so much on this. I've struggled with low supply from the beginning, so we had to start supplementing early. Then I went back to work about a month ago, and my minimal supply tanked even lower. He started to refuse nursing after work, so now only nurses in the morning, and even then isn't satisfied. I pump 3 times at work and 3 times in the evening for a measly 6 ounces a day. Six fucking ounces. I'm so tired of it. But I am hell bent on making it to the 6th month mark, and you can bet that on exactly November 5th I will be beating the shit out of my pump with a baseball bat, office space style. Until then, I'm going to keep at it even if I only get drops per day because I'm such a stubborn ass.
    Can I join you, we can make it a ritual! Like bra burning...

Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    avidkeo said:
    LaNorte said:
    I feel you so much on this. I've struggled with low supply from the beginning, so we had to start supplementing early. Then I went back to work about a month ago, and my minimal supply tanked even lower. He started to refuse nursing after work, so now only nurses in the morning, and even then isn't satisfied. I pump 3 times at work and 3 times in the evening for a measly 6 ounces a day. Six fucking ounces. I'm so tired of it. But I am hell bent on making it to the 6th month mark, and you can bet that on exactly November 5th I will be beating the shit out of my pump with a baseball bat, office space style. Until then, I'm going to keep at it even if I only get drops per day because I'm such a stubborn ass.
    Can I join you, we can make it a ritual! Like bra burning...

I want to see videos of this event!
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    It's going to be gloriously satisfying!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I quit on my DD's first birthday. No nostalgia whatsoever, just really fucking happy to be done for a while. I don't hate pumping as much this time around, so I'll go to a year again. Maybe I'll cut back to 2 pumping sessions per day around February or January, depending on how much milk I have stashed and whenever LO starts sttn, which will affect my supply.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    Once I got back to work in mid July I was able to pump one time a day, and sometimes none if I was visiting another office.  I was coming home with 3 oz. at most.  Didn't seem worth it to lug the thing on the bus. 

I quit pumping at work about a month ago and altogether a couple of days ago.   We've also been supplementing with formula for a while now (at most, I think I was producing 15 oz a day, not enough) and have introduced solids about a month ago. 
  • Options
    I hate pumping.  I have been EPing since DS was born, 6 times a day (30 minutes each session).  I actually became very depressed about two months ago because I dreaded it so much and I just felt like I was missing out on so many things.  I never wanted to go anywhere because I didn't want to have to worry about pumping in the car and then storing it until I got home.  I am the first one up and the last to go to bed (which is not the norm because I love sleep) and I just felt like I was missing out on quality time with my family. 
    So, I decided that I would set a goal that my last pump would be on the day he turned 6-months old.  Starting in September, I dropped my sessions down to 20 minutes each (that tremendously helped me mentally).  And starting October (yesterday!) I have dropped one session.  I'm very nervous about seeing my supply go down, because I know once it's gone, it's gone, but for my sanity I need to do this.  Plus, I have a great freezer stash that should last me until he is one (maybe with the occasional supplement). 
    I will be celebrating my birthday the week after I stop pumping and I am looking forward to having a drink to celebrate both occasions (I haven't had a drink in over a year - no pump and dump for me).
  • Options
    ^^ you can drink & pump! As long as you are sober enough to drive, the milk is safe for baby.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    Hmmm I will have to check into this further. I am going to a wedding tomorrow that will have an open bar. I wouldn't mind one drink. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"