Infertility

PIO vs vaginal progesterone question

Mrs.EssMrs.Ess member
edited October 2014 in Infertility
I am 3dp5dt and have been taking 1cc (50mg) of PIO daily since the day after retrieval. I have zero progesterone related side effects.

I have taken prometrium vaginal suppositories a million times before and within a couple of days I always developed very sore breasts, fatigue, and extreme irritability/mood swings. I don't feel any of that now and I've already been on the PIO for a week. It makes me nervous that it isn't working which I know isn't likely.

My clinic doesn't monitor progesterone between ET and beta. I talked to the nurse who said it really doesn't mean anything and that I could come in if I wanted them to draw the level. I declined for now.

My question is this: Has anyone been on both forms of progesterone and not had side effects with one vs the other?

ETA my phone autocorrects real words to interesting made up ones
TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
Feb 2014- BFP
March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

Re: PIO vs vaginal progesterone question

• No info for you, but I'm glad you asked the question. I had lots of side effects on oral prometrium. I'm curious how that will work with PIO.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Hi! I have had both. Most recently the suppositories. The PIO side effects I felt the most were soreness at injection sight, diarrhea, sore back and crazy dreams. With the suppositories I had sore boobs, worse cramps and spotting. I was very tired with both. But what you have to remember every pregnancy is different and so are the symptoms. I would give it more time for the side effects to show up. I don't remember feeling PIO or suppository effects until further along. Hope this helps! Good Luck! 

++Siggy Warning++

Me: 33
    DH: 39

TTC: 4 years.
    Me: PCOS. Polyps.
    DH: Low morphology and motility.

TTC naturally - 1yr.
    4 IUI with metformin - All BFN. 
    Changed ER.

IVF # 1 - 6 blasts made it to freeze. Transferred 1 fresh blast. Low first beta, but rose appropriately. Bean made it and we heard Heartbeat!! Sadly Bean couldn't hold on. Heartbroken. M/C.

FET# 1- 2 beautiful blasts transferred.1st beta- 6. Chemical. :(

FET # 2 - 2 beautiful blasts transferred. 1st beta - 74. #'s rose appropriately. Ultrasound found Sac and fetal pole! Sadly bean couldn't hang on. M/C. Devastated. 

One frosty left. 

IVF#2 - ER Scheduled for November. We will be doing PGD. Transfer most likely JAN 2015.

image image imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • For my first FET I did progesterone suppositories..... And I had zero evidence of rising p4. No sore boobs.... Nothing....nada. That cycle was a bfn.

Second FET cycle I did PIO exclusively, 2ml. I had every rising p4 symptom. That cycle was a BFP.

This cycle I am on the suppositories and the PIO..... We will see what happens.

Like you I look for the rising p4 symptoms.... But sadly every cycle can be hugely different so I have to say I agree with the nurse at your REs office.
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• CRMhoney said:

Hi! I have had both. Most recently the suppositories. The PIO side effects I felt the most were soreness at injection sight, diarrhea, sore back and crazy dreams. With the suppositories I had sore boobs, worse cramps and spotting. I was very tired with both. But what you have to remember every pregnancy is different and so are the symptoms. I would give it more time for the side effects to show up. I don't remember feeling PIO or suppository effects until further along. Hope this helps! Good Luck! 

Thanks for sharing! Good to know you also experienced different effects. I need to stop thinking about it and stop googling.
    :-S
    TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)

Feb 2014- BFP
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN

• I did PIO 2 ml & suppositories (3 daily) during our September cycle and had no symptoms at all. BFN for that cycle :-( my clinic also didn't measure levels between et and beta but did pull a level with my beta draw and nurse said they were pleased with that number despite the bfn so I guess they knew the meds were working. Good luck. We analyze everything. I wish I could turn my brain off sometimes (or at least tune to a different channel)
  • O2girl said:

For my first FET I did progesterone suppositories..... And I had zero evidence of rising p4. No sore boobs.... Nothing....nada. That cycle was a bfn.

Second FET cycle I did PIO exclusively, 2ml. I had every rising p4 symptom. That cycle was a BFP.

This cycle I am on the suppositories and the PIO..... We will see what happens.

Like you I look for the rising p4 symptoms.... But sadly every cycle can be hugely different so I have to say I agree with the nurse at your REs office.

I am doing my best to trust them which is hard (I'm a total control freak). But so far it has gone well so I have no reason not to.

Good luck with this FET!

Feb 2014- BFP

• fayth4one said:

I did PIO 2 ml & suppositories (3 daily) during our September cycle and had no symptoms at all. BFN for that cycle :-( my clinic also didn't measure levels between et and beta but did pull a level with my beta draw and nurse said they were pleased with that number despite the bfn so I guess they knew the meds were working. Good luck. We analyze everything. I wish I could turn my brain off sometimes (or at least tune to a different channel)

Thank you for posting this. Sorry for your bfn. It makes me feel better hearing that despite the bfn and no symptoms they were able to say the progesterone was still good :)

Feb 2014- BFP

• @Mrs.Ess I'm glad the response helped. I specifically asked the nurse about it which DH thought was weird (what did it matter if it was bfn) but since I hadn't had symptoms I was worried. It reassured me that with my next cycle I could relax (ha) about that a little! Good luck!!!!
  • Have not done PIO, but when I was experiencing side effects from the suppository, my RE reminded me that because of producing all of the follicles, your body is making a ton of progesterone, and the stuff they have you take is just supplemental. It makes me wonder how they would even tell with your level. I bet it is taking effect but you're just having different side effects. Good luck with this waiting phase!
    Me: 28, no diagnosis  DH: 33, MFI, severely low morphology, diagnosed 3/14
    IVF #1: May/June 2014: 10R/8F, 1 morula transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.
    IVF #2: July/August 2014: 18R/12M/8F, 2 blastocysts transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.
    IVF #3: October/November 2014: 22R/17M/15F, 2 early blastocysts transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.

• I was on PIO for two weeks after my transfer when all the sudden I had a horrible allergic rash. Apparently my butt doesn't like sesame oil. While I waited the last few days for my progesterone in olive oil to arrive, I was put on the suppositories. I have had extreme bloating and stomach cramping with the shots as well as the normal sore boobs. When I was on the suppository it completely went away. I started feeling like a normal person again! The only side effect was still moderately sore boobs. No issues in my torso region at all! I started back on the new shots tonight, so hopefully it will stay clear. I know the doctors say the shots absorb better, but when I had my last set of blood work done yesterday, my progesterone was over two hundred. It only needs to be twenty! I think it just differs from person to person, so I wouldn't worry too much about side effects :).
  • @iheartpancake and @KM721‌ thanks! I am feeling so much better about it this morning.

Feb 2014- BFP

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"