LGBT Parenting
Options

California vs Fairfax

We are in the midst of picking out our donor sperm for our upcoming insemination. Any opinions on Fairfax Cryobank or California Cryobank? Fairfax has some very cost effective vials available, but was wondering if anyone has any profound reasons why we shouldn't use them? Why we should pay the $180 more per vial at California? 

Re: California vs Fairfax

• Options
    I've been looking around but I found that Cali has more diversity in terms of bi/multi racial donors. Which we prefer since we are multiracial. Even though they are more expensive, for us, they have more choices in what we are seeking.
  • Options
    we had the same impression- we couldn't find a Caucasian with brown hair & brown eyes that was of italian descent with any other agency than California Cryo.  Except those mixed with Asian, etc descents.  
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same reason as @TwoMomsInTX‌ on why we went to Fairfax. We did a ton of research. We found a place and donor we LOVED but our clinic wouldn't use them. Looked at California and even though they have a ton of donors, they didn't have adult pictures and when we narrowed down our search, we weren't left with anyone we really liked. We then went to Fairfax and found our guy. Not sure how California operates but what we liked at Fairfax was when we bought 7 vials we got 1 free plus free storage for 2 years. We used 3 and ordered more and still got another 1 free. Also if you don't get pregnant by the 3rd vial you get one free. It's nice to know our remaining 8 are in free storage. Customer service has been great. We did everything through a chat room online. In the end we found a 6'7, educated and athletic donor who is also really handsome :)

ME-34  DW-28
    Together since 1-2012
    Married 9-24-2013
    Started TTC with RE January 2014.
    Open donor sperm

IUI #1 (1-31-14) Clomid + HCG Trigger=BFN
    IUI #2 (2-27-14) Gonal F + HCG trigger=BFN Benched for 2 weeks due to cysts. Placed on BCP
    IUI #3 (4-7-14) Gonal F + HCG trigger=BFN Benched for 3 weeks due to 6 cysts. Placed on BCP

IVF#1 Lupron 10iu, Menopur 150iu, Gonal F 400iu, HCG trigger
    ER#1 (6-3-14) 9 Eggs, 8 Fertilized, 
    ET#1 (6-8-14) 2 Day 5 Blastocysts transferred
    6-20-14 BFP 12dp5dt Beta 114.9
                          15dp5dt Beta 365
    Low progesterone start PIO/Crinone
    6-23-14 Ultrasound shows no sac. Beta dropped. Chemical.
    IVF#2 Menopur 150iu, Gonal F450iu, Ganirelix, Lupron trigger
    ER#2 8-13-14 7 Eggs, 3 Fertilized and frozen
    FET scheduled for 10-11-14
    FET Canceled due to thin lining

IVF #2  Fresh Cycle Scheduled for December 2014

• Options
    Thank you for all of the responses! We are debating now whether or not to see the childhood/adult pictures. Why should that matter? (I know it should, but to me I just don't see why it would) 
  • Options
    Totally agree @TwoMomsInTX‌! We wanted someone attractive also. We also wanted someone who looked similar to L. The donor we picked looks like he could be L's brother. There were many adorable infants and teens, but when we got to the adult pictures, we had to pass. We also made a book with all the information and donor pictures in it, so our children can read all about him and see what he looks like. We also picked a donor so our children have the option to meet him when they turn 18. Also through the Fairfax forum we have already met some couples that are pregnant or trying with our donor. That part I think is cool and weird at the same time to know our unborn children already have siblings.

I think it just comes does to what you and your wife want and what matters most. Seeing pictures was really important to us, but not as important as family health records and matching eye color and hair. Good luck!

ME-34  DW-28
    Together since 1-2012
    Married 9-24-2013
    Started TTC with RE January 2014.
    Open donor sperm

IUI #1 (1-31-14) Clomid + HCG Trigger=BFN
    IUI #2 (2-27-14) Gonal F + HCG trigger=BFN Benched for 2 weeks due to cysts. Placed on BCP
    IUI #3 (4-7-14) Gonal F + HCG trigger=BFN Benched for 3 weeks due to 6 cysts. Placed on BCP

IVF#1 Lupron 10iu, Menopur 150iu, Gonal F 400iu, HCG trigger
    ER#1 (6-3-14) 9 Eggs, 8 Fertilized, 
    ET#1 (6-8-14) 2 Day 5 Blastocysts transferred
    6-20-14 BFP 12dp5dt Beta 114.9
                          15dp5dt Beta 365
    Low progesterone start PIO/Crinone
    6-23-14 Ultrasound shows no sac. Beta dropped. Chemical.
    IVF#2 Menopur 150iu, Gonal F450iu, Ganirelix, Lupron trigger
    ER#2 8-13-14 7 Eggs, 3 Fertilized and frozen
    FET scheduled for 10-11-14
    FET Canceled due to thin lining

IVF #2  Fresh Cycle Scheduled for December 2014

• Options
    re: pix - we were torn between two until we saw the child pix. we felt one looked more like DW.  Adult pix would have been nice- i didnt realize any places did that as it is kind of a breach of privacy?  Anyway California cryo gives 2-3 celeb look a likes and if you call will tell you which features they think come from each.  i also like that they have the bulletin board to talk to other donor users & the sibling registry. 

Anyone know much about their cord blood services? i keep getting emails about the pricing. seems pretty good and we are considering.  i should probably start another thread.... 
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @mrs&mrsk - my personal opinion is that private cord blood banking is a scam. The likelihood of your kid being able to use their own cord blood is so tiny. But definitely worth another thread as I am sure people disagree with me!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mrs&mrsk - my personal opinion is that private cord blood banking is a scam. The likelihood of your kid being able to use their own cord blood is so tiny. But definitely worth another thread as I am sure people disagree with me!
    my friends did it at the hospital, not sure if it was through a private company but it cost them about $1000 plus yearly storage.  the cryo is saying it would be about $300 plus storage.  seems like a good deal- IF LEGIT?  thanks i'm going to start a new thread!
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We wound up choosing Fairfax. To us we didn't really have too much "criteria". Honestly, I don't think we had any criteria. We could have picked out someone that looked just like my partner, but that doesn't mean the baby would have looked like either of us. We were happy with our decision, and the staff at Fairfax were very pleasant today. 

I had it done last night, but a reference point in case someone comes across this is to be sure to have your "Terms of Use" filled out and uploaded or you can't order. It is part of your account Fairfax. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses! Best of luck to all of us! 
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the responses! We are debating now whether or not to see the childhood/adult pictures. Why should that matter? (I know it should, but to me I just don't see why it would) 

We went with Fairfax and did the lifetime photos with open ID option.  It made a big difference for us to know what our donor looks like as an adult.  It'll be neat to see how he develops and what similarities, physically, he'll have to his donor and to me as his bio parent.  Plus I want my kid to know everything he possibly can about his history (medical and otherwise) and have the opportunity to contact the man who helped make his life feasible.

We've also connected with other moms who used the same donor.  I'm glad we did that because now we have our own Facebook group and can see each other's babies.  All those boys are my baby's half-brothers and I want them to know each other.

• Options
    Jumping in.....thanks for sharing all of your experiences. We're just starting to look in to different banks so this is helpful info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"