Attachment Parenting
Options

Wearing toddler after labor

I just gave birth last week, and I was wondering how long I should wait to wear my toddler? I was thinking of getting a Tula Toddler instead of a double stroller, since DD likes to walk most of the time. I would push DS in the stroller, and whenever she would get tired, I would put her in the Tula. I'm worried though that I should wait six weeks before wearing her on long enough distances. I had a natural birth and have been healing well.

TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: Wearing toddler after labor

• Options
    jenn43jenn43 member
    edited September 2014
    I would ask your doctor.  It's going to depend on how much she weighs, and how you feel.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your answers. I hadn't realized it would take so long, but it makes sense. I'd forgotten how hard recovery can be. I'll wait a couple of months and get my doctor's approval.

• Options
    I also recently gave birth- and have a 27 lb tot. I strongly encourage you to dramatically increase the one to one snuggles if you decide to follow the 8 week no picking up rule. I have a friend who followed the rule- and instead wore her newborn constantly. Her relationship w her tot really suffered. Use good judgement, don't lift if you aren't ready. That said, I was carrying my tot within a week and suffered no injuries.
  • Options
    I also recently gave birth- and have a 27 lb tot. I strongly encourage you to dramatically increase the one to one snuggles if you decide to follow the 8 week no picking up rule. I have a friend who followed the rule- and instead wore her newborn constantly. Her relationship w her tot really suffered. Use good judgement, don't lift if you aren't ready. That said, I was carrying my tot within a week and suffered no injuries.
    I've been picking DD up since she visited me in the hospital after delivery. I'm careful not to pick her up often, or for long distances, but we cuddle a lot. I'll wait a while before wearing her on long distances though, to give my body a chance to recover.

• Options
    Why not do it the other way around, when the toddler doesn't want to walk anymore put her in the stroller and wear the baby? That's how we get around with 2U2
  • Options
    pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited October 2014
    I wore DS1 until a few days before delivery, so my wearing muscles were strong, and I felt comfortable to toddler and/or tandem wear at two weeks post-partum for quick ups and downs in the house like quelling a toddler tantrum or filling the "attachment tank" and eight weeks for getting across a parking lot. My kids are 19 months apart, so it they were both babies! Listen to your body and plan for quick toddler wears versus marathon wears.
  • Options
    lica001 said:
    Why not do it the other way around, when the toddler doesn't want to walk anymore put her in the stroller and wear the baby? That's how we get around with 2U2
    The stroller we use for the baby can't be used for our toddler, and vice versa. However, that will be an option once the baby can go in our larger stroller.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"