Natural Birth
Options

Pediatrician vs Family Dr

Was wondering if anyone has a reason I should choose a pediatrician instead of taking my baby to a family doctor that my husband has been going to. The family doc is starting to see more children and will gladly take on our infant as a patient. My husband has a great relationship with the family doc and would be able to text him/ call him anytime we had a question or problem. Also, the family doc is on board with us delaying vaccines until the baby is 2 yrs old. Not sure we could find a pediatrician who would agree to that (or not fight us at every visit with scare tactics on why we should get the vaccines). Is there any benefit in choosing a pediatrician? I'm almost 26 weeks, so have time to look around for someone who will be the perfect fit for my family. Thanks!

Re: Pediatrician vs Family Dr

• Options
    We only have a family doctor. I like having ine doctor for all three (soon to be four) of us. He knows all of our medical histories and may be able to make a more accurate diagnosis for our kids knowing the full history of both parents the way he does.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Thanks! JCWhitey that makes sense. I've never seen this family doc, but my husband has been going to him for a couple years now. smeame14, you're basically saying what my mom told me. That's why i'm so torn between the 2 options.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with @smeame14- there isn't a right or wrong answer.  I think it is awesome that your family doc is supportive of a delayed vaccination schedule.  I would discuss how he works with breastfed kids/families, too (if you are planning on breastfeeding).  It's totally possible that he keeps up on the current AAP and WHO recommendations and will be able to get you connected with a good LC should something come up, but at a minimum I'd want to know how he measures growth (some doctors follow the AAP growth chart which is based on formula fed babies and bf babies tend not to follow that curve).

We go to a ped group and we've had a great experience.  I saw a ped as a child so I didn't really think twice about going this route.  Logistically speaking- our ped group and the FP docs that we would use are located in the same set of buildings so it isn't any more or less convenient for us to have our kids with a ped group.  My sister had her kids with a family practice doctor and she was wonderful, but she ended out switching to a ped group after her second had a lot of eating issues early on (tongue tie, lip tie, high palate, soy and dairy allergies).  It was a lot more than her FP doc was equipped to treat and the FP doc referred to a ped as she realized that she was not specialized enough to provide his care.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We all see a family dr. and that has been a great choice for us. With 2undertwo and now 3in3, I like to keep life as simple as possible. It is really nice to have just one dr. phone number to keep track of, and I can schedule several appointments at a time. We had a ped for a while, but she was further from our home and just too hyper for me.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    We all see a family dr. and that has been a great choice for us. With 2undertwo and now 3in3, I like to keep life as simple as possible. It is really nice to have just one dr. phone number to keep track of, and I can schedule several appointments at a time. We had a ped for a while, but she was further from our home and just too hyper for me.
    Yeah this is a good perk, too!  I had my pregnancy confirmation at the same time my son had his 12 month check-up.  I'll have my 20 week appointment along with his 15 month.  It's very convenient.

We also do not have the option of a pedi.  There are none here.  We'd have to drive 2.5 hours to go see one.  Not an option for us.

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2014
    Either could be a good choice. Does your family doc have separate well/sick waiting rooms? I would not feel safe having an unvaxed baby in the same room as others who can either give the baby whooping cough/measles/chicken pox/etc., or get it from the baby. That's just me though.

You should find out your family doc's specific policies for kids the same way you would interview a pediatrician: https://pregnant.thebump.com/pregnancy/third-trimester/qa/interviewing-a-pediatrician.aspx

Some pediatricians are ok with delaying vaccines (to varying degrees). You have to call their offices and ask. Most peds in my area also hold informative meet-and-greets at least once a month. Some also have websites that list all their policies.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @debatethis @redheadbaker I had a severe allergic reaction when I got the pertussis vaccine as an infant (could've easily been a SIDS baby if my mom wasn't as cautious and attentive as she is). I've done TONS of research on vaccines and the potential side effects, and for me, I want to wait until my child's blood-brain barrier is fully formed before introducing vaccines. My husband is a Chiropractor, and knows all about the preservatives in vaccines passing through the blood-brain barrier into the spinal fluid and up into the brain and we both agree on our decision to wait. I'm not trying to get into a vaccine debate with this post, just wanted to state that that was one reason we were leaning towards the family doc instead of a pediatrician (because a lot of pediatricians in this area won't allow your child to be seen if you don't follow the recommended schedule). 

Thank you all for your input! Like a few of you recommended, I'm going to meet a few pediatricians and see if there's anyone I feel comfortable with who is also accepting of my choice to delay the vaccines. 
  • Options

@debatethis @redheadbaker I had a severe allergic reaction when I got the pertussis vaccine as an infant (could've easily been a SIDS baby if my mom wasn't as cautious and attentive as she is). I've done TONS of research on vaccines and the potential side effects, and for me, I want to wait until my child's blood-brain barrier is fully formed before introducing vaccines. My husband is a Chiropractor, and knows all about the preservatives in vaccines passing through the blood-brain barrier into the spinal fluid and up into the brain and we both agree on our decision to wait. I'm not trying to get into a vaccine debate with this post, just wanted to state that that was one reason we were leaning towards the family doc instead of a pediatrician (because a lot of pediatricians in this area won't allow your child to be seen if you don't follow the recommended schedule). 

Thank you all for your input! Like a few of you recommended, I'm going to meet a few pediatricians and see if there's anyone I feel comfortable with who is also accepting of my choice to delay the vaccines. 
    LMFAO that your husband the chiropractor knows better than the CDC. It's one thing to delay one vaccine based on family history but to randomly delay them all? No. But, you know, rock on with your Mercola shit.

Also, ethyl mercury (the preservative in vaccines) doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. Pesky facts and all.
    REALLY?!?! Get over yourself. I AM NOT GETTING INTO A VACCINE DEBATE! Take your opinion elsewhere because I don't need it.
  • Options

I've done TONS of research on vaccines and the potential side effects, and for me, I want to wait until my child's blood-brain barrier is fully formed before introducing vaccines. My husband is a Chiropractor, and knows all about the preservatives in vaccines passing through the blood-brain barrier into the spinal fluid and up into the brain and we both agree on our decision to wait.

You've both thoroughly studied immunology, then? 

Yeah, didn't think so. 
    What is with the snarky comments?!?! Why do you even give a crap if I vaccinate my child or not??? I know plenty of people who aren't vaccinating AT ALL... I really don't think delaying vaccines until 2 years old is that unreasonable. Your comments on my post on a pregnancy board are NOT  going to change my mind about my decision.
  • Options
    Honestly, we care because it affects our kids and other kids as well.  I almost died from a booster and my brother almost died from a vaccine, so there's a family history.  We delayed, too, but only until 6 months.  By his next appointment (15 months) he'll be all caught up.  We took basic precautions, but most of the ingredients in vaccines when we were kids are no longer in them.  Whatever my family history of allergies is to, it's no longer an issue or my child (and my nephew) did not develop them.  We'll delay with this one as well, but only until 6 months again, which is the age my doctor agreed is old enough that if there is an allergy present the baby can fight it off.  

What could affect my child more is being exposed to an unvaccinated child with pertussis when s/he is too young to be vaccinated.  There was an outbreak in the town we lived in last year when DS was just 2 months (too young) and it was pretty scary.  Over 20 kids came down with it.  Luckily no one died or even got seriously sick, but it could have gotten much worse since that part of the country has no herd immunity due to so many unvaccinated children.

• Options
    I've done TONS of research on vaccines and the potential side effects, and for me, I want to wait until my child's blood-brain barrier is fully formed before introducing vaccines. My husband is a Chiropractor, and knows all about the preservatives in vaccines passing through the blood-brain barrier into the spinal fluid and up into the brain and we both agree on our decision to wait.

Yeah, didn't think so. 
    I've studied it enough to know the difference between ethyl mercury and methyl mercury...which is more than can be said for your husband, who's practicing outside the scope of his license w/ vaccine advice.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    Thank you @JCWhitey for stating your concerns in a mature way. I don't think 2 years is too long to wait though, especially since he won't be in daycare where it seems most viruses are rampant. Not going to go into a full on vaccine debate on this page, it wasn't the intention of my post for it to go in this direction. Thank you all for your advice about the family doctor question.
  • Options

Yeah, didn't think so. 
    I've studied it enough to know the difference between ethyl mercury and methyl mercury...which is more than can be said for your husband, who's practicing outside the scope of his license w/ vaccine advice.
    He's not "practicing outside the scope of his license", he's making a parenting decision. He's not telling his patients anything about vaccines. We're making a decision only for our son, not for the kids of his patients. 
  • Options
    Leaving the conversation now. Sorry I brought up such a touchy subject.
  • Options
    Thank you @JCWhitey for stating your concerns in a mature way. I don't think 2 years is too long to wait though, especially since he won't be in daycare where it seems most viruses are rampant. Not going to go into a full on vaccine debate on this page, it wasn't the intention of my post for it to go in this direction. Thank you all for your advice about the family doctor question.

Not sure why it quoted twice... Anyway the Pertussis outbreak in my town was not started in a daycare center.  It was an elementary school and spread widely from there.  I work in a pharmacy at the time and would change my clothes in my car and shower before holding my son during the worst of it because I had been so exposed.  These kids went to the park, the pool, the grocery store, the farmers market, etc.  all places we went with DS.  During the height of the outbreak we didn't leave the house with DS which sucked and was really unfair for him because it went on for about three months and during Haloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas when there was lots of fun stuff going on around town.  Only one infant caught it, a few toddlers, 20 kids, and a small handful of teens.  I think the total number of cases was 29-30.  It could have been much worse given the number of unvaccinated kids in the area, but the holiday breaks actually served as a buffer to prevent the spread.

It's your child so you can do what you want, but I personally would go crazy cooping up my child for two years and he'd be going crazy, too.  You really can't go out of the house and avoid exposure during outbreaks.  Kids don't just go from daycare to home.

• Options
    In our area, the pertussis outbreak started with homeschooled kids from a mega church that's anti-vax. Those kids weren't in daycare either. Just went to church. And our grocery stores. And our parks and libraries. You know, all the places my kids go, including my baby who can't yet be vaccinated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"