November 2014 Moms
Options

induction--> c-section?

Hi, I am considering being induced (my Dr. is out of town my due date and I really don't care for any of his clinic partners). Who has experiences with inductions? I've read they can be more painful and can have higher c-section rates... is any of this true? Does it even matter if I "like" the Dr., they're only in the room for minutes?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: induction--> c-section?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, let's be nice everyone, I am asking for advice here. My doctor was the one who said it would be possible to induce 3-5 days before my due date if I was uncomfortable with any of his partners.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    narbuckle01narbuckle01 member
    edited October 2014
    So I am looking for advice and opinions to continue my reading and thought process and I get rediculed. Real grown up ladies. Thanks.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @narbuckle01

Here are some facts so you can be better informed in your decision.  Our, the N14 board, opinions are just that opinions.  Most of us form our opinions on facts such as these.  What ever you decided is your choice; do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

• Options
    Thanks for the facts link @kimberly_ann81!

@lil_shocker- I am uncomfortable with the 4 other providers because they feel inattentive and too laid back for me. One example: I asked what the pros and cons were of the flu shot after a Dr recommended that I get it. His response: "Just go home and you can read about it". This practice isn't the only on rotation where I will be delivering... there are several other OB's.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Did your doctor discuss sweeping your membranes to jump start things?  My practice will do this at 39 weeks.  This might be an option (he was only going to induce 3 to 6 days before your due date anyway).  From what I understand, it doesn't always work so if you're not ready, it won't induce labor but if you are, it may safely jump start things and you can potentially be delivered by your physician.  I would not risk the C-section for failed induction unless it was absolutely necessary. 

• Options
    fyreandbloodfyreandblood member
    edited October 2014
    Wait...we can CHOOSE to be induced? WHAT WHY HOW

ETA: i'm horrified tbh. Between baby needing to be ready to come out and the risks to your body, etc, it isn't a good choice. My mom had to be induced with both babies (my sister and me) because of an incompetent cervix that didnt dilate and she would have chosen to go into labor naturally. Induction is a painful process and not a luxury or something some women can choose to get out of. Please think of what is best for baby first rather than who you are comfortable with. Tour the hospital and meet the nurses, they are the ones who will take care of you.
  • Options
    Look I don't think it's wrong to want to feel comfortable with your health care provider especially for such a big event as birth. I think it totally sucks that I haven't met the doctor who will be delivering me and I probably won't until I get to the hospital. I hate it and it freaks me out. So I get you on that point.

However, I would not want to be induced if it wasn't medically necessary. In my opinion your doctor made a mistake suggesting that instead of introducing you to/helping you to feel comfortable with whoever else will be available.
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Options
    I was induced and didn't need a c section. I have no idea if the statistic is legit or not.

Also, honestly, IMO it doesn't matter who the dr is. You will see them for some internal checks (maybe) and they will pop in and out to see how you're coming along but really their job is when that baby is ready to come out. If you have some sort of special treatment plan arranged with your dr (drug restrictions, etc), then I understand sticking with that dr. Otherwise, you're going to have little interaction with them. It's the nurses that are going to be at your side, so those are the ones to mesh with and there's little way to dictate staffing in that sense. I wouldn't worry about it.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Feeling more nervous about having to be induced now at 39wks if not earlier due to age and BP :(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced with both my boys. The first was 3 days early (and my dr let me choose which day I wanted after 39 weeks) and the second was five days after my due date. My labors were long (26 and 16 hours) but I had no interventions with either. The dr popped in to check on me every few hours or so for a couple of minutes but otherwise was only in the room for maybe 10 minutes of delivery. The nurses will do the bulk of your care so IMO the dr doesn't really matter. Good luck!

FWIW if this baby doesn't come on his own I will have another induction planned by 41 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If that is the only reason, I wouldn't do it. With my 3 labors the OB never showed up until it was time to push, although they did call and check in with them during the process. And with my first two (10 days early and 2 days early), my OB was on vacation so I got whoever was on call for her anyway. Your nurses are much more a part of your experience than the OB (in an uncomplicated vaginal birth, at least) and you have no control over which of those you get.

I was induced with my last pregnancy and the contractions were definitely much more intense and painful than without Pitocin. I would try to avoid it unless necessary.

Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Options
    mander82 said:
    I do not want to be induced. aren't the contractions supposed to be stronger and more painful?
    As an FYI - you may be offered Pitocin while you are in active labor if you are not progressing.  Not the same as an induction but they give it as part of an induction as well.  Pitocin will make the contractions more intense and painful (been there done that).  If you are trying to avoid as much pain as possible - or go without meds, know this before you accept it.  I was told what it would do (was not dilating) but at the time I couldn't imagine the contractions could be much worse.  Wrong on that one. 

• Options

Being induced is no joke.  I was induced at 41 weeks with DS.  My labor was long and hard and I ended up with a CS.  The chances of you going into labor on your due date are slim to none.  I would risk it and avoid being induced, at all costs.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    Hi, I am considering being induced (my Dr. is out of town my due date and I really don't care for any of his clinic partners). Who has experiences with inductions? I've read they can be more painful and can have higher c-section rates... is any of this true? Does it even matter if I "like" the Dr., they're only in the room for minutes?

Wow, let's be nice everyone, I am asking for advice here. My doctor was the one who said it would be possible to induce 3-5 days before my due date if I was uncomfortable with any of his partners.

So I am looking for advice and opinions to continue my reading and thought process and I get rediculed. Real grown up ladies. Thanks.
    QFP
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    If your dr is so quick to suggest an induction so he's there, if you labor "too long" for his liking I'd be willing to bet he'll talk you into a c section. Just sounds too willing to suggest interventions when not medically necessary, since you mentioned wanting to avoid a c section that is also something you should consider.

Also, as pps have said it's better to just let your baby bake as long as possible. 40 weeks is just an estimate some babies need longer or less time. Unless your health or your baby's health is at risk let baby decide when to come.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Lurking.

Do not get induced early unless it's medically necessary. Your baby needs as much time as you can give he/she to thrive. Also, you may end up with an amazing set of nurses taking care of you while in labor. The doctor really only attends to you when you're delivering. You have no idea when your baby will decide he/she is ready to come out. Your doctor could very well be available for your delivery.
  • Options
    A family friend was induced (at 42 weeks) back in February.  It took 3 days and 2 rounds of pitocin on 2 of those days for baby to come.  Babies can be stubborn like that.

I had a membrane sweep at 40w3d which started my labor, but then I endured back labor (which I would not wish upon my worst enemy) for 28 hours before we had to go the emergency c-section route.  They had me on pitocin to try to speed things along once I was admitted and was in so much pain.  28 hours is not speedy.  Bear that in mind. (And I know there have been far longer labors than mine.  Just sayin'.)

Let baby cook as long as you can, and like others said you may want to consider another practice if you don't like the other OBs.  And your OB sounds a little skeezy, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"