November 2014 Moms

Third Trimester - Uncomfortable After Eating

I looked and couldn't find a board on this topic in November 2014.  Last night after dinner I felt really sick to my stomach.  I thought maybe it was because we had something with a good bit of dairy, and once in a while I have a tendency to be a little lactose intolerant.  I took a Zantac to try to calm it down, and eventually just went to bed.  I really didn't think much of it, until this morning I ate a bowl of oatmeal (like in a packet, one serving) and had the same reaction.  I didn't even finish the entire bowl! Is this what the next seven weeks are going to be like? If so, any STMs have any suggestions?

Re: Third Trimester - Uncomfortable After Eating

• yeah, i definitely remember that feeling with DS. i would have to stop eating because i felt sick, whether i was full or not. i would go to bed feeling crummy. i've had it to a lesser degree this time around. i explain it as acid reflux, without the burning. a lump that just sits in my throat. towards the end with DS, probably starting around 34-35w, the acid was so bad i went from zantac extra strength 2x/day to an RX, plus tums, plus maloxx at bedtime. i was also sleeping in a "V"-head up to help the acid, feet up to help the swelling. i was induced at 37w so i don't know if it would have continued until the end, but i didn't see any reason for it to go away. 

you could try eating smaller meals more frequently, rather than bigger meals farther spaced out. that is the first suggestion when there is a possibility that babies have acid reflux. 
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it acid reflex or nausea? Were you lying down?

Lying on my back makes me feel pukey after eating. Eating tums before a meal helps me with acid reflux. Also, being super constipated makes my whole bottom half feel awful so whatever your remedy is for that, go with it.
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Loading the player...
  • I can eat about 3 bites of any meal and be ridiculously full. I graze throughout the day to avoid stuffing myself at meal time.

• Definitely not eating big meals.  My husband probably thinks it's the first trimester again the way I've been eating.  Lots of small snacks that are fruits or carbs.  I was a little taken back by the fact that I couldn't finish one bowl of oatmeal though.  Guess I just settle in and wait. 
  • Ugh, I'm in the same boat. This happened with my first pregnancy, too.

I have bad reflux, so what helps me is taking my meds (ranitidine and omeprazoale (sp?)). I also graze all day and don't eat after 6pm. Otherwise I'm puking all night. bleh. Good luck!
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• I still feel ok after I eat, but over the last 2 weeks my appetite has seriously diminished. I do make myself eat at least 3 times a day, but it isn't easy. It took me an hour to eat a sliced apple with peanut butter this morning. Such a big difference from a few weeks ago when I could inhale anything in sight. My 32 week visit at the midwife's office is tomorrow, I'm just hoping my lack of appetite hasn't effected my baby's growth.
  • So after the baby is born is it just instantly you feel normal again and can eat whatever? Because I have been struggling with this too and if someone tells me I won't be able to eat the thanksgiving dinner I have been looking forward to since June I am going to start immediately bawling. I miss food.
  • So after the baby is born is it just instantly you feel normal again and can eat whatever? Because I have been struggling with this too and if someone tells me I won't be able to eat the thanksgiving dinner I have been looking forward to since June I am going to start immediately bawling. I miss food.

Pretty much - plus if you nurse you'll be so hungry and need to eat every few hours.  DH was astonished at how I went from picking at food the last few weeks to eating like a pig every few hours after I had DS (and the scale dropped a few pounds every day - of course that doesn't last forever).

DH said my eating during nursing reminded him of this SNL skit.  Once he sort of questioned how I could still be hungry after having just ate and I turned and yelled "I'm STARVING!" in a really low voice.  We still laugh about it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yErb0jzIPL8

• I have been having this (and have had it before). I think it is two-fold: first, you probably can't eat as much, and second, you may have heartburn. I eat smaller portions and chew Tums at an alarming rate and that seems to help a bit. Unfortunately, this is just one of the many joys of the 3rd trimester.
  • I am having the worst problems with this. If I over eat I get so sick! Then I end up just laying down for an hour in an attempt to digest and make more room for my stomach. I have turned to the grazing often/small meals as others have said!
  • It's torture. There's all this delicious food in front of me, but I can only eat three bites. I get Soooo sick and uncomfortable if I eat more than that. And I agree with pp that it is worse at night.
  • I carry tums everywhere I go.  I can't eat anything without feeling awful after.  I can't wait til my appetite is back to normal and I can eat more than three bites without feeling uncomfortable.  much worse at night.  

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"