December 2014 Moms
Options

Monster in law rant !

Okay , where do i even begin with this one...
We have never been on the best terms. Every interaction now is very forced and fake.
MIL was in the delivery room when I had my first little one (I was trying to be the bigger person and include her in stuff) and all she did was give me "pep talks" about how her labor was way worse and I needed to suck it up. SO nice , right ?
Well now she wants to be in the room with this one too and I said no . In the nicest way I could. Well she has since moved away (thank the Lord) and just told my husband she's already bought the ticket to fly up here to be in the room for the birth !!!! NOOOOO!

Misery loves company , right? So who else has good monster in law stories???

Re: Monster in law rant !

• Options
    courtd2courtd2 member
    edited September 2014
    I agree with what Ainslie325 said. I would be furious if my MIL did this! Stand your ground.
    first time mom
    BOY  07/12/14
  • Options
    Ask her to watch #1, give her a job so she won't be in the room
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, you have already informed her of the situation. She has every right to buy as many plane tickets as she wants but she can't stay with you without your permission and she certainly can't force her way into your hospital room. Tell your DH that it is his turn to lay down the law. She isn't welcome and that's the end of it.

You can also request to be registered as a private patient at the hospital in case you are worried that she will try to track you down. The hospital won't give out your room number or status if she calls. Also, don't tell anyone that you have gone into labor until the baby has already arrived. That way no one accidentally tells her.
  • Options
    OMG!!!! My mil is CRAZY!!! I swear she thinks shes the one who is pregnant. First thing that she did. She came with us for our first ob apointment so she could help with family history so that was wonderful. I really did like her willingness to help but after family history stuff the nurse asked if we had any questions. Mil had the nerve to ask (without talking to me about it first) if WE could have OUR baby by apointment. The nurse me and SO all look at her the same way and the nurse as sweet as she could asked what she ment. My mil said well i've had all my children by apointment (3) and we live about an hour away from the hospital. (We live with MIL) she then asked if SHE could choose a due date. At this point im was shaking trying not to smack her and tell her to shut up but instead i looked at the nurse and told her that i wasnt worried about it. Mil and i ended up arguing for about 20 min while the nurse looked at us like we're crazy.

The next thing that happened was i told mil my boobs were leaking and that i needed to wash our sheets. She ran up to me and grabed me and was like oh man get in my car im taking you to the hospital!!! I was like what?? Why? She then told me about how she never leaked and that it ment te baby was comming. Are you kidding me??? Lucky for me i talked to my mom about it before and so i wasnt worried.

She has also told me that i need to stop going to work bc its bad for the baby. She said she would never work past 30 weeks. (Im 31 weeks now)

Finally she keeps telling me im getting too big. I am getting big, my ob said baby is huge. But She keeps saying i bet you have twins. Ugghh!! Really?? Thanks i wasnt feeling fat yet today!!!

• Options
    Not the exact same but when in labor with DS my SIL and their two cousins came to bring me presents and apparently thought they were invited to be present for the birth. I told DH your family, you kick them out. They were super butt hurt but I didn't care at all. I think YH gets to tell his mom in this situation it is both of your wishes to be alone for the birth and she is welcome to hang out in the waiting room.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't feel bad one bit about telling her to shove the ticket up her a$$.

Giving her a job will definitely help, but be sure you clue the hospital/staff into your want for her to stay out of the room so YH doesn't have to play bad cop and can focus on you rather than her selfishness.
  • Options

I don't understand why so many people get butt hurt over not being allowed at the actual birth. Do they really want to see all of that? If I could, I would rather be in the waiting room myself.

Agreed. 100%. I don't get it either. Do you wanna watch me shit myself any other time?
  • Options
    my mother in law is fabulous, in 15 years has never pissed me off. I have lots of stories about my mother though.
  • Options
    No MIL. :-( She passed away the year before SO and I met. I do have Auntie though... Well, Auntie in law (ok, not in law because we aren't married, but she is SO's Auntie).

My main issue is privacy, her mouth, and pass the baby. She is tame compared to many though. Since last baby and her constantly just walking in my house, I have begun to lock the door... She has the key and just lets herself in. SO is covering that now. We will see. She still likes to go down the hall to "check out my room"... My bedroom is off limits to EVERYONE. Apparently it doesn't apply to her? She will be over every day to hold and cuddle the baby and her stuffy nose and cough will just be "allergies".

Her mouth because she blows even the littlest things out of proportion medically and about my house. Umm, yep, I  have 5 kids and my house is not spotless (hers is messier and very cluttered is the funny part). And "you will be the Brady Bunch" is getting old... Every day, several times a day for weeks.... just stop. I no longer share any medical with her for me or the kids. SO was threatened if he did, I would kill him.

She is going to be hurt when I bring baby to bowling and to the Christmas parties this year and refuse to let her hold/take the baby. Every year she plays pass the baby or at the bowling alley she lets everyone touch baby. THAT is my issue. Not baby going out. It has proven to help my PPD for me to get out of the house early on. We practice no hovering and no touching. I get little adult interaction as it is. She ignores us saying no.

The funny part is, she is not trying to be mean. She is very... naive and I don't think that she thinks things through.  She use to make sure SO was ok before me. He has Cerebral Palsy. He can work and all, but the cleaning and opening certain things like milk cartons, jars, and so on is hard to impossible for him. So for 4 years it has been a battle to get her to back off and let me do it and to realize that this is MY house and MY kids. Not HER 2nd house and HER 2nd kids. She married an older man with grown kids many years ago (he passed from cancer). So she does have them and those grand kids and great grand kids.  Sadly many of them take advantage of her trust fund and her lack of a lot of common sense. She is a great lady tih

DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Options
    I still don't get why people like waiting around in the waiting room. Or in the actual room of the mom to be. I've been there for friends and family (when they've asked me to be there for support), but I would never flat out ask someone to come to the hospital to wait around in the waiting room. Why not just wait a day or two after the delivery has happened?! The baby still looks the same? Right? How is that insensitive?
  • Options
    Honestly I'm more worried about my FIL. He is super touchy-feely and really has no concept of personal boundaries. I don't know why but he just sort of creeps me out. I'm more worried about him trying to get in the delivery room. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he asked.
  • Options
    My MIL is upset because I am flying my mom out this go around to help with the boys and not her. She had her chance last time. We actually moved closer to her so she could help us out when the time came. Instead she got all pissy because we didn't give her enough notice to get her hair and makeup done so she looked good in pictures. Yep. She refused to come till hours after he was born because of this, even though she knew we needed her to watch our oldest. My poor oldest was in the room when his brother was born. I am so thankful he was too young to remember it.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Tell the nurses she is not allowed in the room...nurses LOVE telling people to get out. People get in the way.

Also tell your husband to deal with her..this is not your problem.

Finally, depending on her ticket/when you deliver, don't tell her when your labor starts. Just pick her up at the airport with a newborn in the backseat ;-)

Good luck!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    ColeyCannoliColeyCannoli member
    edited September 2014
    I still don't get why people like waiting around in the waiting room. Or in the actual room of the mom to be. I've been there for friends and family (when they've asked me to be there for support), but I would never flat out ask someone to come to the hospital to wait around in the waiting room. Why not just wait a day or two after the delivery has happened?! The baby still looks the same? Right? How is that insensitive?
    Some people just do not know what birth and recovery are like or they've forgotten.

I went to the recovery room with my family to see my sister and her new baby and then met up  later at their house to "help" out (to be honest, most of us did nothing). And I remember her MIL saying  at one point "let's not do this to them again." Because it was intrusive and the new family was so exhausted. We weren't letting them just settle and grasp that they have a new baby. I guess everyone gets over excited and this was the first grandkid for his side of the family but I've already asked people not to show up for a few days. It just isn't necessary. The baby will still look new in a week too.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My MIL is more annoying than crazy. This will be her first grandchild and she thinks it's up to her to do a lot of the baby's "firsts". She already informed me that she picked out the outfit that MY baby will come home from the hospital in. She has already planned the baby's first disney trip, which she will be upset when she realizes she does not get that one (disney is my thing.)
    She had a dumb name picked out for the baby to call her (mama mere) which thankfully I won that battle because I refuse to let her have mama in her title when that's what I want to be called.
    I know she means we'll but I wish she would just allow me an my DH to tell her how things will be. She lives 10 min away so I really hope she does not feel it's her right to just stop in whenever she wants... oh and she will most definitely not be in the room with me, I'd prefer it to be just my DH and medical staff
  • Options
    I agree with PPs about how that was stupid of her to ignore what you told her. My mom actually cried when I told her I would like for it to just be MH and I during the delivery. My dad was like "look, you made her cry" and then he said "you'll change your mind, she WILL be there." Ughhhhh no. Just no.
  • Options
    I feel your pain! My MIL just pretends like she doesn't hear me when I tell her that she will not be in the delivery room and that she will also not be staying with us after the baby gets here. Come to find out she's told H about 1000 times that she's planning on being in the room and staying for at least two weeks. Ummm no. God no.
  • Options
    I feel so badly for some of you gals. I could not deal with this shit mother or mother in law. No! Actually fuck no to anyone other than my husband in the delivery room. My mil is fantastic. She's involved when you want her to be but otherwise is more than happy to be left the hell alone and never interferes in our lives and my mom even though passed was the same way. Neither would ever request to be in the room and would probably question me a few times if I said I wanted them in there.
  • Options
    My mother and mother in law are pissed that they won't be here for this birth. Sorry not sorry. I'm also not seeing any visitors for 2-3 weeks. My baby my choice.
  • Options
    I actually liked my mom being in the labor room last time and plan for her to be there this time and have told my MIL it is her choice. In the middle of all the pain, having womanly support was helpful to me. Of course last time I was induced and in labor forever  (especially the pushing which still didn't work even with a vaccum so emergency c section which was scary)!!! My mom and then MIL were helpful in calming me down when that situation arose whereas my husband at the time felt just as scared and stressed as I did. Maybe I'll go on my own this time and it will be fast in which case it won't matter. lol. I'm truly ok either way.
  • Options
    Eora3 said:
    I just want to offer support to you all. My MIL is not a big offender but my mother is. This is my third child and I have btdt. My unsolicited advice to FTMs: You will have one labor and delivery experience with this child. There are no do-overs. You get one first look at your new baby, one first cuddle, one first moment of looking at your SO and realizing that you are a "family" with this tiny human. Do not let anyone intrude on this time. Do not allow anyone to make you feel rushed or uncomfortable because they are in the waiting room or hovering over you waiting to hold the baby. I don't care how "excited" or "well-meaning" they are, it isn't about them. Mothers and MIL's have had those first moments with their children. This is your time. I don't care what you believe in, those first moments are sacred. Do what you have to in order to get private time with your new baby and your SO. Honor your new family with that time.
    Exactly, these are precious moments that you will never get back.  Stand your ground.
  • Options
    Not sure if this goes here but, mother in law watched my ds yesterday. When I came to get him he was not wearing what I brought him in rather some clothes that looked like they came from the 70's. She is always telling me when she looks at him she sees her son my H. Maybe just hormones but back off he's my baby. Oh and he fell and scratched his face was crying and reaching for me and she wouldn't give him to me till I finally took him. Tell me I'm just being sensitive.
  • Options
    I could go on for days about all the crappy things my MIL has done, but not coming to my baby shower because we invited two people from her ex husbands side (who my husband is really close to, plus they are the nicest people ever and have never done anything to her) is crazy.  She tried guilting my husband by saying he was choosing them over her...  A couple days before our wedding (three years ago) she threatened not to come because I chose to have purple plates (backyard style wedding) She wanted the colors to be black and white which is so not me.  I'm a very colorful artsy person.  I try to understand her, but I'm so done.  DH says he's not even going to tell her when were having the baby he's so pissed.
    It's a GIRL!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Part of me is glad I'm not alone but another part of me feels SO bad that anyone else has to deal with this kind of BS. :\
    There has just been SO much drama between her and I from the very beginning , it's exhausting . Haha.
    My last baby , she was horrible. Plain horrible. Tried convincing her son it wasn't his baby and to peace out. (it is 12494% for surely his baby haha) . Even after all that chaos , I invited her to the gender ultrasound. .. apparently she only showed up to prove I was hiding something ?? I never figured out what it was I was hiding... haha. At my baby shower when I was about ready to pop, she says to me "okay , I guess NOW I can be excited..." wtf? Even if that's what you were thinking , you certainly didn't have to say it lol. This list goes on for daaaaaaaays.
    So here's where it gets kinda tricky. I want my mom to be there. I love my husband , I really do. But practically my whole labor with the last one , he kept passing out until the doctor finally told him to just stay where he was haha. So I know that this time , he probably will be doing the same thing and it'd be nice to have some one to actually hold me hand and talk me through it. As horrible as she's been through everything , I still just feel like a jerk for leaving her out of things. I can't help it ! So I don't want her feelings to be hurt by asking her not to be in the room but then letting my mom in there . Haha I haven't talked to her about staying with my other little one yet , but I really hope she is good with that and doesn't get all booty hurt about not being in there to see a child come sliding out of my vag. Cause cmon, who wouldn't want to see that ?! Haha for real though not even I wanted to see it . They asked if I wanted a mirror .... oh god please no ! Haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"