School-Aged Children

kindergarten homework?

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited September 2014 in School-Aged Children
curious about what type of homework your LO has gotten since the school year started? I thought ours was totally appropriate, a couple worksheets a week practicing writing letters & numbers, working on identifying sight words they're working on that week, some matching/pattern stuff. Apparently there have been some requests from parents that homework is more challenging...it's only the first month, I just don't really get this... I mean, it is one thing if htey ask for supplemental things if they really want to do that w/ their kids but come on? Maybe I"m unrealistic about K expectations but additionally, this is private K (though it intentionally follows the public school curriculum) and I'm pretty sure 95% if not 100% of the class will be repeating K public school next year b/c most of them have  fall bdays and are just turning 5.  I realize all the kids did some of this stuff in prek but they all need handwriting help and this is the first sight reading exercises even though some can already read, etc...I worry that they will take it to an extreme and my kids won't think homework is fun before they even make it to first grade...Just wondering your experiences...

Re: kindergarten homework?

• We have been asked to work on tracing with their fingers the lower case letters they have been taught (each night)… 3 letters each week the last 2 weeks.  No biggy.  They also sometimes bring home optional homework related to the social 2nd step curriculum that's an anti-bullying program the school psychologist runs.  So far they've each had 3 quick worksheets to do related to that.  It's been very very basic… max 10 min. and that's not very often at all.

I fully believe they are in school all day.. they are 5… they need a break when they get home.  I'm glad they have time to run around outside, play on the swing set, swim, eat dinner, and get to bed early for the next day.  I am not one up for requesting more homework.  Read to them, talk to them about math concepts while cooking dinner… who the heck wants more worksheets.  

• We get four sight words per week.  We are supposed to review those and play word games with them, or whatever.  We are supposed to have him practice writing his name, with first letter capitalized and the rest lower case.  They do worksheets at school, but none for homework (yet).  He brought home an early reader for the first time today.  He read it to DH and then to me.  It look less than 5 minutes, total. 

I'm totally cool with this level of homework.  I can't imagine pushing his teacher to send home more homework.  He is totally exhausted by the end of the school day.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son's homework was similar to what you're seeing:  

15 minutes of reading a "just right" book (could vary from having parents read to you, reading an easy reader book, or reading a chapter book, depending on the kid.)

A very short assignment related to math, writing, social studies, or science.  At the start of the year, could just be something like "tour your house and find 5 different objects of different shapes."  At the end of the year, the nightly homework was more complex and involved more writing.

I was fine with this, even though the homework was not challenging at all for my son.  I just wanted enough homework to begin to establish routines and study skills.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • We didn't have homework in kindy last year other than reading two short books a week from the lending library and working on some sight words. This was in a very good school with a very good teacher. I was happy with that as I think they really needed the time home to decompress. He is just starting to get homework in 1st grade - 15 minutes a day.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree, @groovygrl‌ I don't understand why the parents need the homework to be more challenging for everyone. Can't the overachievers just come up with stuff on their own ;)

DD had very little homework last year (in kindie), and this year it's really open ended, so if parents want to get creative and make the work more challenging they can, but they don't have to. The teacher basically just told us we need to turn in one thing a week to meet the state requirements, any more than that is gravy. DD loves school, she's making friends, and is excited about her after school activities, so I'm glad our school is laid back about homework.
  • I'm a believer in letting them be kids for as long as possible.  Life has enough stress.  We are in a good private school, last year there was no "homework" save the occasional presentation, project or worksheet that was please complete it and return it sometime in the next week sort of thing.

In first grade we will soon be starting short (10-15 min I think) homework assignments sent out on Monday to be returned by Friday.  Mostly to teach them the responsibility of taking it home and bringing it back I think.  My understanding is real, regular homework starts next year and I am totally fine with that.
  • We get a homework packet on Monday that is due back Friday. In it are 6 worksheets. Each sheet is about 5 minutes of work but my DD makes it 15 since she adds lots of extra coloring. :) They also have to do handwriting practice and now reading each night. I think it seems like a lot. When I went to kindy 35 years ago there was no homework. I recall the "nerd" in me begging for homework. My wish came true in 4th grade. 

OP, I hope your teacher put the kaboosh on those parents. I agree if they want to supplement at home they can find lots of workbooks to do that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We were told to expect homework to start in October, and at curriculum night the teachers went ahead and told us that homework will be minimal and will not be challenging.  It's about getting them used to the idea of homework and having a place and time to do it, etc.  Apparently every year the parents are complaining that their children are "too advanced" for the homework given...the teachers said feel free to supplement on your own.  The parents in our area make me roll my eyes a lot.
  • aglenn said:
    We were told to expect homework to start in October, and at curriculum night the teachers went ahead and told us that homework will be minimal and will not be challenging.  It's about getting them used to the idea of homework and having a place and time to do it, etc.  Apparently every year the parents are complaining that their children are "too advanced" for the homework given...the teachers said feel free to supplement on your own.  The parents in our area make me roll my eyes a lot.
    Yeah, ITA. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We get a couple letter/word/coloring worksheets a week, which I think are totally stupid and a waste of time, but I would like NO homework. Who are these crazy parents requesting more challenging homework? What is WRONG with them? A couple times we got something that was slightly more involved, like writing a name thingy with the child and doing a sorting exercise.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited September 2014
    emberlee3 said:
    aglenn said:
    We were told to expect homework to start in October, and at curriculum night the teachers went ahead and told us that homework will be minimal and will not be challenging.  It's about getting them used to the idea of homework and having a place and time to do it, etc.  Apparently every year the parents are complaining that their children are "too advanced" for the homework given...the teachers said feel free to supplement on your own.  The parents in our area make me roll my eyes a lot.
    Yeah, ITA. 

Me too...people are always talking about how advanced the public schools here are, Etc. Funny thing is, I have talked to parents of kids in public school k and their kids haven't even gotten any homework yet...lol.
  • fredalina said:
    More homework does not equal more "advanced."
    Yes I know, that was my point.  people at our private K are all complaining about the homework we're getting and get all worked up about being comparable to the public school & preparing kids fro the public school & that is what they're focusing on. If the public schools are so amazing then clearly they're doing it without giving tons of homework or 'advanced' homework in teh first month of school.
  • fredalina said:
    fredalina said:
    More homework does not equal more "advanced."
    Yes I know, that was my point. 
    I know: I was just preaching to the choir. We ended up sending DD back to Montessori but had considered putting her in a public optional school. They said they have a sheet of homework a night (to be returned once a week) specifically because "the parents want to feel involved." Ugh!
    Oh geez... I guess sending them home some sort of overview of what they actually taught in class wouldn't work to 'involve' them ;) ? I wish we would just get that, then I could just have a conversation w/ them about it while making dinner or something to reinforce and that would be that.  Their worksheets aren't hard & they think they're fun...(in some ways I do kind of like it for DS b/c he hates writing and a lot of fine motor things and I think it could be helpful for him to do a teeny bit extra practice) and I kind of feel for the teachers b/c they are probably being made to feel like they're not up to snuff by whoever the parents are that are asking for this stuff. I talked to the director/asst director to tell them that I didn't think all parents felt that way and while they'd never say it, I could tell they agreed.
  • macchiattomacchiatto member
    edited September 2014
    Ours has been a mix of things. Examples:

* math work sheets
    * cut out items that start with a certain letter and glue them to a piece of paper
    * practice writing their names or certain upper case and lower case letters
    * Read with them
    * Read a book and have them identify and draw the setting
    * review their high-frequency words ("am, at, the, mom, dad, I, we, can" so far)

It's supposed to take no more than 10 mins/night but some nights it takes 20-30.

I'm not a fan of homework in the lower grades at all (other than encouraging parents and kids to read together and sending overviews to parents so they know what the kids are working on in school) and would be annoyed if parents are pushing for more. I agree with pp that they can always supplement on their own if they so desire; my 5-year-olds are already gone 8 hrs/day for school which is a full day. IMO they shouldn't have to "take work home," too; they need time to relax, play, get some individual down time, spend time with parents, neighbors and friends, and do other activities, too. Plus one of mine has therapies for an hour right after school 2-3 days/week; we're ending up with not much time for the rest of life.

It's nice to see so much agreement on this subject on this board. ;)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • NicoleWI said:
    We get a couple letter/word/coloring worksheets a week, which I think are totally stupid and a waste of time, but I would like NO homework. Who are these crazy parents requesting more challenging homework? What is WRONG with them? A couple times we got something that was slightly more involved, like writing a name thingy with the child and doing a sorting exercise.
    I have a child who needs advanced work because otherwise he gets bored and loses interest in school.  I don't ask for everyone to be challenged, but do feel that my child being advanced should be treated with the same attention as children who are behind. Alas, this has been a struggle as teachers are busy as bees. Mostly I supplement at home, but that doesn't help the school day go by any faster for him. Having a child who is ahead is a struggle, and it is valid for those parents to want the best for their kid too. Now, in a lot of ways, I hope my little girl due in December is more "normal" because my son mentally exhausts me ;)

I don't think that the whole class should get more work, but wanted to throw the other side out there for those complaining. I think kindy homework should involve some handwriting to strengthen those skills and creative assignments as opposed to worksheets. 
  • Also, meant to include worksheet are generally  not what I like to see- it is interactive thinking assignments that help build connections.  However, repetitive writing works for some kids who struggle. It's too bad schools don't have the time or staff to make curriculum more individualized, or that there was less standardized testing to prepare for and take.
  • I realize that there are kids who are actually performing above grade level, and I was one myself, so I get the struggle to keep them interested in the work.  My comment above about the other parents complaining about homework being beneath their kids is based on the fact that it is just plain mathematically impossible that 95% of the class is in the top 5% of students.  The parents in my area all think their kid is that super special  snowflake, and that's just probably not the case for a lot of them.
  • NicoleWI said:
    We get a couple letter/word/coloring worksheets a week, which I think are totally stupid and a waste of time, but I would like NO homework. Who are these crazy parents requesting more challenging homework? What is WRONG with them? A couple times we got something that was slightly more involved, like writing a name thingy with the child and doing a sorting exercise.
    I have a child who needs advanced work because otherwise he gets bored and loses interest in school.  I don't ask for everyone to be challenged, but do feel that my child being advanced should be treated with the same attention as children who are behind. Alas, this has been a struggle as teachers are busy as bees. Mostly I supplement at home, but that doesn't help the school day go by any faster for him. Having a child who is ahead is a struggle, and it is valid for those parents to want the best for their kid too. Now, in a lot of ways, I hope my little girl due in December is more "normal" because my son mentally exhausts me ;)

I don't think that the whole class should get more work, but wanted to throw the other side out there for those complaining. I think kindy homework should involve some handwriting to strengthen those skills and creative assignments as opposed to worksheets. 
    Our (public) school has differentiated instruction, so kids who are working at a higher level in math and reading are given work that is appropriate to their level. My DD is working above grade level, too. That still doesn't mean I want more/harder homework. 
  • groovygrl said:

curious about what type of homework your LO has gotten since the school year started? I thought ours was totally appropriate, a couple worksheets a week practicing writing letters & numbers, working on identifying sight words they're working on that week, some matching/pattern stuff. Apparently there have been some requests from parents that homework is more challenging...it's only the first month, I just don't really get this... I mean, it is one thing if htey ask for supplemental things if they really want to do that w/ their kids but come on? Maybe I"m unrealistic about K expectations but additionally, this is private K (though it intentionally follows the public school curriculum) and I'm pretty sure 95% if not 100% of the class will be repeating K public school next year b/c most of them have  fall bdays and are just turning 5.  I realize all the kids did some of this stuff in prek but they all need handwriting help and this is the first sight reading exercises even though some can already read, etc...I worry that they will take it to an extreme and my kids won't think homework is fun before they even make it to first grade...Just wondering your experiences...

My SS is in public K this year and homework is the same as what your describing. We think it's the right amount and it's not too challenging for the children. We like having homework and that it is helping him get into a routine.

• aglenn said:
    I realize that there are kids who are actually performing above grade level, and I was one myself, so I get the struggle to keep them interested in the work.  My comment above about the other parents complaining about homework being beneath their kids is based on the fact that it is just plain mathematically impossible that 95% of the class is in the top 5% of students.  The parents in my area all think their kid is that super special  snowflake, and that's just probably not the case for a lot of them.
    Ahhh gotcha... yep prob not.
    edited October 2014
    Glad to hear I am not alone... Who knows how many people actually said something but i guess it was enough to have them address it. And ditto to the points that differentiated education is fine in the classroom and if a parent requests ideas for supplementing that is fine too (or if a teacher wants to talk to them individually about it) but asking for harder homework for the class in general or for kindergarteners just seems so silly. Plus teachers should not be expected to review or create all different levels of homework assignments that is ridiculous. The one thing I do like about it is that I at least know what they're doing and can talk about it w them.
  • Last year DD had 15 min of reading time each night, one family project a month, and a writing assignment each week. This year she has sporadic projects, not overwhelming though, math homework every night (takes 10 min usually) and 20 min reading during the weekday nights and 60 minutes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. She also studies for spelling tests but no spelling book that she brings home.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • Our homework has been things like finding an item for show and tell that starts with the letter of the week, reading together for 20 minutes each night, practicing his address and bus number, finding leaves for his science journal etc. His teacher doesn't give worksheets in K for homework at all but she sends home a newsletter at the start of each month with ideas and resources for parents who want to do extra, maybe suggest something like that to the teacher? She puts in ideas like cooking with math and links to websites that relate to what they are doing in class. This teacher l is big on enrichment so most of the activities at home are things that are hands on not worksheets, they do plenty of those at school.
    edited October 2014
    fredalina said:
    This popped up in my FB feed: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2012/11/26/homework-an-unnecessary-evil-surprising-findings-from-new-research/ I don't find it surprising at all. (The only thing I find surprising is that parents in presumably well off neighborhoods of significant education levels are the ones pushing for more homework.)
    That doesn't surprise me at all, as that is the type of area I live in and it is already happening in this private K class so I can only imagine as they get older. ugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"