November 2014 Moms

Diabetes Ladies

One more question from me today--my brain is on fire apparently.

Out of curiosity, what glucose meter do you use?

I have two. A ReliOn Prime (walmart's brand) and an OneTouch Ultra that I got for free couponing a few years ago. I'd been using the ReliOn until I ran out of strips. I liked the OneTouch carrier better, so I bought OT strips mostly for the bottle as the ReliOns bottle was too big for the carrier.

So far the OT gives me much lower readings than the ReliOn, I bought more ReliOn strips to start comparing. See pic below, this is today's lunch comparison:

(Wendy's pretzel burger, fries, diet soda & Reese's PB cups)--I was bad on purpose to see what readings I would get.

Any suggestions? Should I request a blood glucose for comparison to see which is more accurate?

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

Re: Diabetes Ladies

• I use the true test. My meter and the meter at the hospital (what brand I don't know) are about 15-20 points apart consistently. I don't know what is going on or if mine is off. They don't seem too concerned.
  • Wow you had those levels with that kind of food. You are so lucky!

I would take to you doctor about the difference in readings. 

I use OneTouch mini. 
    Bfp #1: 2/20/2014 Baby girl born on 11/3/2014
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    nov 2014 

• Loading the player...
  • I use the Accu-chek aviva plus blood meter. It works pretty well 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I use the one touch ultra mini (what my insurance covers). I'm not really sure how the readings compare with true glucose levels... I don't have much advice for you, just wanted to wish you luck figuring it out. I think I'd call the office and tell them about the discrepancy between the two and see what they want you to do. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• I don't use either meter, but yes, wow, those levels are great!  My doc wants me below 130 & if I ate that, they'd be much higher.
    ~Jen
    Married since 8.17.03
    Mom to Richard 7.24.05, Ava 3.27.08, Isabella 5.19.09 & Timothy 10.22.14

• I use one touch verio IQ. Something I've learned to do is to make sure I test my strips with the test solution when opening up new strips. The first strips I got were defective so I'm glad I checked. I am also super jealous of your readings after eating all the yummy goodness!!! Mine would be hitting the 200s for sure.
  • The pretzel burger actually has a pretty good carb count for fast food.
  • Thanks ladies, I'll contact my office. I know the #s are fine on both, but they really want me under 120, which of course that's a huge difference on my meters, with one saying pass that goal with flying colors and the other being ehhhh, do a little better.

There's no doubt that I failed my gtt, but anything I've tried (other than a mt dew only) I've never gotten anything over 140. I'm not entirely convinced the gtt is such an accurate test lol.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• I was told that numbers can be different with back to back results because our blood has combination of old and new blood cells. Important to wash hands before testing every time because anything on fingers can impact results. Having said that, I realize your question is different. I've only used OT Ultra so I don't have any comparison. But I have seen a 20-point swing in results with the same glucometer in back to back measurements seconds apart.

Please share with us what your doctor says...
  • I have the Animas Ping meter remote which "talks" to my insulin pump.  It's pretty rad for when my pump is in my bra and I need to give myself insulin.  I don't have to look like I'm getting randy with myself and can just bolus right from my meter.

I also have 4 one touch ultra minis that I have in my bedroom, one will be in the nursery, and a couple spares.  I'm a meter hoarder.

It's important to note that blood sugar readings have a 20% error margin.  So if you test at 100, you could be 80 or 120.  It's something people in the diabetes community are really pressing the FDA to tighten.  I rarely get back to back similar readings or the same readings on different meters.

Also, if you get a random high and are all, Where the F did that come from? try washing your hands and testing again. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"