Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Self Feeding Solids

DS is 8 months and is grabbing our food out of our hands every chance he gets. He gets mad when we eat dinner and wants our pizza or fajitas. I feed him puréed veggies and fruit mostly with breast milk but he really wants to feed himself. The thing is he only has one tooth (barely came in last week). I've given him Avacado (pre mashed) and banana slices which he is very happy with and mum mum rice cakes. What else do you suggest for this age and no teeth? I did try baked potato which he choked on a little. Can he eat bread?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Self Feeding Solids

• BB girl has no teeth (8mo) and gets impatient w her purées so she usually ends up drinking them from the jar.
    She really wanted "food food" so I gave her a bit of sliced bread and let her hold it so she can bite into it herself. I also feed her noodles which she loves and rice mixed with a little broth. And sometimes I'll cook some peas and small bits of carrots for her. I also give her puffs and melts but not too much or else she gets really hyper.
    She chokes or coughs a little here and there but I try not to panic. They're learning how to eat new things so it's all part of the learning process. I just make sure that I'm always supervising her and have water at hand.
  • Loading the player...
  • TeacherVickyTeacherVicky member
    edited September 2014
    He doesn't need teeth, their gums are quite hard.

I usually give DD what I'm having. If it's meat, I'll shred it or cut it up in small pieces. Otherwise I just put whatever it is in her tray and let her eat it. If it's big fruit, I'll cut it in long, thick "fries" so that they are easy to grab and hold. If it's a harder fruit, like an apple, I will steam it just enough to soften it.

ETA: When we have pizza, I give DD my crust. She happily chews on it while we have dinner. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• DD started around 8 months. Once she figured out she could feed herself, she flat out refused purees. I give her things like scrambled eggs, pancakes, shredded or ground meat, beans, toast with different spreads, etc. A baby's jaws are much stronger than you might think -- as long as the food is appropriately sized and prepared, LO can eat pretty much anything.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• We self-fed from 6 months... letting LO always feed themselves and control how much they eat etc is called Baby-Led Weaning. They will gag a lot at the beginning but that's normal--learn the difference between gagging (you don't need to intervene) and choking (do intervene!) or you'll drive yourself bonkers.

Generally any food they can't handle, they'll work on it for a bit and spit it out. Once DD started really eating solids (9-10 months) she has less patience for just chewing on and playing with hard-to-eat foods, she'll reject them pretty fast.

No whole nuts, and I'd recommend for stuff like grapes and cherry tomatoes to cut in half. But bits of your meat (having fajitas at the restaurant we'd scrape up the tiny pieces of meat stuck to the pan for her, once she mastered pincer grip... before that we'd give her a big strip and she'd gum the end happily). A strip of bell-pepper, cooked or raw. A slice of avocado or banana--you really don't need to mash it. Put some cooked beans or cheerios on front of LO to let them pick em up. Scrambled eggs. Bread can be hard for LO to chew... a tortilla she'll mainly end up with a gooey wad that she spits out eventually. Crusty good bread she'll gnaw on until she gets bored. Bits of your lunch meat. Olive slices and shredded cheese out of your salad. Orange or mandarin slices are really good--early on DD would basically just bite into it and let the juice run everywhere... a lot of it ended up on her instead of in her belly. Celery... celery is hard to bite a too-big chunk off because it's fibrous, so they really just gnaw it off bit by bit. Cooked broccoli.

Just give LO whatever you're eating and its fine

Considering allowing a bit of BLW but terrified of choking. Did you ever have to intervene? If so how often?
  • Thanks y'all! He's becoming a pro. He really likes bread/pizza crust. I tried boiling carrot sticks to soften and he loved those too! We just took DS to his 9 month check and dr said he can have egg yolks and meat now too. He also popped out 4 teeth in the last few weeks. What a relief!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"