December 2014 Moms

Furnace Checks

My husband does HVAC for a living and obviously it is starting to get colder(for those in certain climates), this is just a reminder to make an appointment with your local company/guy to get your furnaces checked out and to change the filters or to turn them on and make sure they are running properly. Don't wait until the last minute, it may end up costing you more.
D14 - Free For All
In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

Re: Furnace Checks

• We are afraid to do this because every time someone checks our furnace we get a big lecture about how it is on its last legs and could give out at any time. And we live in seriously cold Canada. Husband is doing all sorts of things in the home prior to baby's arrival that have been OK up to now but that suddenly MUST be seen to because of the baby. So maybe this will be the year we do something about our ancient furnace.... :D
  • kaylam714 said:
    Great reminder! Ours went out on Christmas Eve last year!! Thankfully we live in small town WA and I have lots of connections with local business owners from my previous job and we were able to get someone out here to fix it for us.
    I am glad you had someone and I totally know it isn't your fault, but I cringe every time his or my dad's phone rings on holidays.  The worst is when someone says it has been out for 2 days but they need it fixed NOW. They might be a little butt hurt after that bill.
    D14 - Free For All

• Loading the player...
  • Already on my list!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• We got a quote for some random fixes - we have a boiler and baseboard radiators, yeahhhh old school. Came back at $1k. Fffff. Guess we'll have to get another quote...
    D14 November, because I am finally not on mobile, how I feel in 3rd tri:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What the truck is a furnace? I live in SoCal. ;)

Lol! Here in Cali if you don't have central heating, you usually have a good old fashion wall heater. Central heating systems use a furnace usually.
  • What the truck is a furnace? I live in SoCal. ;)

Right?! I live in Louisiana and all we need is central heat (sometimes) and a little space heater for night time-if it gets bad.
  • In Arizona, we get the same reminders in March/April to remind us about our AC units. There is nothing worse than the air going out in the middle of July (other than freezing to death in the colder states).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In all honesty, I'm not even sure what a furnace is(other than heat source). In Texas, it's all Central AC and heat. I just assumed that's the way it was for everyone. Is a furnace better for colder climates?

I just hate the days we have to run the heat and the AC all in the same day. Sometimes, I really wish for seasons!!
  • I'm in Oklahoma @Rileymom1‌ so I feel you about running the AC and heat on the same day. I also assumed central heat and air was the norm everywhere!
  • This is most of my understandings from eavesdropping . A furnace is a heat source, it can be oil, gas, hot water, or electric. I believe most people in the south have a heat pump because they are efficient and cheaper to run, but don't work well in colder conditions in the north. A heat pump actually takes it's heat from outside(which seems completely weird) while a furnace actually takes the air and heats it with the type of fuel/energy it uses.
    D14 - Free For All

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"