March 2015 Moms

Grocery Shopping List Help Please? (edited for clarity)

bdazzldbdazzld member
edited September 2014 in March 2015 Moms
I'm stuck in a rut thanks to cravings but DH and I are finally making it to Trader Joe's tonight so hoping to pool some healthy and or just plain satisfying product suggestion's specific to Trader Joe's.

Already on the list,

Trader Joe's Chicken Gyoza/Dumplings (my current obsession if baby had her way this is all I would eat)

photo 2eaeec32-4781-4bd4-a9e0-fe86f486b516.jpg

~~~~For SuzyQ and all our loss moms~~~~

Met: 02.2007 / Engaged: 11.21.2009 / Married: 07.09.2010

EDD: 03.02.2015 / Scheduled Delivery Date: 02.25.2015

Re: Grocery Shopping List Help Please? (edited for clarity)

• I don't shop their frequently so I can't help with that but wanted to suggest that you might want to rename your post. I originally thought it was going to be another post about baby registries and almost skipped it bc that conversation has been had several times on the board. Maybe add the word grocery to it. Hope this helps :-)
  • Their chicken fried rice is good (carbs/veg/protein all in one). I also like to hit up their refrigerated section for all the premade stuff.
  • Loading the player...
  • bdazzld said:
    Trader Joe's Chicken Gyoza/Dumplings (my current obsession)

I've made these twice already. So yummy. Have you tried TJ's Garlic Naan?

• Their Tangerine juice is one of my favorites too.

Another favorite, not so healthy though is the Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels

• Mandarin Chicken!!
    Frozen Brown microwavable rice!!!
    Pretzel Bread!! 
    Pub Cheese!! 
    Hot and sweet mustard (i think thats what its called, in a little jar, goes great on the pretzel bread, so does the pub cheese!!)
    Gorgonzola Gnocchi (frozen)
    Sweet Potato Gnocchi (frozen)
    Arancini bites!! 
    pasta arribiata 
    Any of their "hard" cheeses! 

boy do i love trader joes!! :)
    happy shopping!

M & N: 05.27.2012 <3 
    Natural M/C: 08.27.13 at 8 weeks
    BFP: 07.02.14 ! 
    Baby #1 EDD: 03.11.15 

image image image

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Those butterscotch Carmels are so good!!! ⬆️
    The butternut squash ravioli is really yummy! If you do a brown butter sage sauce it's pretty much restaurant quality
    Otherwise it's good with Alfredo
  • Lmsq1611!! Great point :)

• daizedoo said:
    bdazzld said:
    Trader Joe's Chicken Gyoza/Dumplings (my current obsession)

I've made these twice already. So yummy. Have you tried TJ's Garlic Naan?
    Not in a long time HMMMMmmmm....

Last week I had dumplings three nights in a row for dinner -.- they're still all I can think about. 

We went to a hole in the wall Chinese place on Saturday, where I had pork dumplings with napa cabbage *drool*.  They were pan friend though and I'm enjoying steamed more right now so at least that's....kind of healthy?

So tonight will be MORE dumplings with garlic and mushroom bok choy if I can track down some bok choy at TJ's.  Really I only have energy for one grocery store per evening after work -.-

@marissalucia great list thank you!!
    daizedoo that sounds amazing and my husband will actually help me eat those hahaha

• Mushroom ravioli, any of their freezer meals honestly are good in a pinch, especially the orange chicken. They have sweet potato tots. Hash browns, their CHEESE is cheap and delicious, their cookie butter (I get the mixed one with chocolate), dried fruit and nuts, they have good boxed soup... I can't think of anything else right now lol

I <3 trader joes
  • The packaged Indian foods - not frozen. My fave is Punjab Choli - with some garlic Naan - the babe and I are happy.

Also, almond butter and apricot spread on wheat berry bread. It just tastes like love.

Flax veggie tortilla chips with roasted tomato or corn salsa.

Frozen Mango Chunks

Coconut milk and coconut water.

Sea salt chocolate brownies for the win!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Ooh thanks @janda426 and @Skrittens ! Lots of great ideas here ladies!  With the dumpling brain I currently have I couldn't even remember what else they had -.-

• This thread is making me think I need to check out trader joes. It sounds like a cravings paradise.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • TJ's is pretty much the best food store ever.

• Omg. I want my hubby to go pick me up dumplings for dinner!!!! Yum! & I love plum sauce. Drooling! Thanks ladies!!!
  • Actually I'm west coast so leaving in about 30 mins to head to the store ^_^ thanks ladies!!

• Update with a list of what you get!! so interested haha! I have to make a TJ's run this week too. :D

M & N: 05.27.2012 <3 
    Natural M/C: 08.27.13 at 8 weeks
    BFP: 07.02.14 ! 
    Baby #1 EDD: 03.11.15 

image image image

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Cashews
    Pistachios
    The butterscotch caramels
    Chicken fried rice
    Chicken Dumplings (so many)
    Mushroom mochi (dumplings)
    Mushroom ravioli
    Tomatoes
    Crumbled goat cheese
    Flatbread
    Hummus
    Bok choy
    Mushroom medley
    Dark chocolate bars
    Pumpkin salad mix
    Pumpkin soup
    Butternut squash soup
    Cauliflower
    Pork Italian sausage
    Uncured bacon
    Multigrain English muffins
    Eggs
    Tangerine Juice

Think that's it :)

• good luck! don't forget your reusable bags! lol

• Skrittens said:

The packaged Indian foods - not frozen. My fave is Punjab Choli - with some garlic Naan - the babe and I are happy.

Also, almond butter and apricot spread on wheat berry bread. It just tastes like love.

Flax veggie tortilla chips with roasted tomato or corn salsa.

Frozen Mango Chunks

Coconut milk and coconut water.

Sea salt chocolate brownies for the win!

I would have come in here so much sooner if I knew you guys were talking about garlic naan!!!!! Is it already prepared, frozen, packaged? Needless to say, I will be making a stop there today.
    I've never had any luck with the packaged Indian foods personally. They never seem to taste quite right. Maybe I'm picking the wrong brands / doing it wrong. I would love you forever if you had any suggestions :)
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    image image
  • Never been to a trader joes, what are they like? Is it expensive?
  • OMG their cinnamon raisin bread is seriously the best.
    I ALMOST left with a loaf but with the chocolates and the caramels I thought I'd try to be good, but next time I'm all over it.  Makes the best french toast...

• bdazzldbdazzld member
    edited September 2014
    rita213 usually less than Whole Paycheck I mean Foods ^_~ but depending on what you're getting it  can still be a little pricey, I usually spend less than at the grocer though. 

I did read that their organic meats are little on the high side--but many of their other items are on par or a little lower.  I love their blue corn chips and their black bean dip, soooo good.

edited for laziness :)

• @bdazzld‌ thank you, but do you mean you spend a whole paycheck there. I usually do a big grocery shopping once a month and get what I need besides all the milk for the month and spend $200-$250 at publix, is it more expensive than that? I am on a tight grocery budget and with a 3rd child on the way need to stretch even further.
  • daizedoodaizedoo member
    edited September 2014
    IMO, they are not expensive, and this is because they do not use any marketing - so they are able to keep their prices low. Most everything is pretty reasonably priced, but there are some items that are expensive. Like that Tangerine Juice I mentioned - that's $4 for 1/2 a gallon, but soooo good.

@rita213 the Whole Paycheck thing is a nickname for Whole Foods. Meaning, it's so overpriced, you can expect to spend an entire paycheck on your shopping cart.

• Are the dumplings frozen? I want these so bad. I think I will make a trip later today.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Cookie butter! Not healthy, I'm sorry but it's seriously so good!
    Pregnancy Ticker
          ---------- For SuzyQ---------

• @cinnamonlatte They are frozen, take about 10 minutes to steam--but sooooo tasty with white vinegar/hot oil or ponzu sauce, plum sauce, hot mustard/sweet n sour sauce... I'm kind of a sauce/dip whore.

Thanks for clarifying for me @daizedoo!

@rita213 I would say potentially a little more than Publix, but again it depends on what you're after.  They're known for say, 3-9 dollar bottles of delicious wine, affordable artisan cheeses etc.

• @bdazzld plum sauce omg........I'm going to have to try that. do they have that at TJ?

I'm guessing you are in California, since you know the Whole Paycheck reference!

• bdazzldbdazzld member
    edited September 2014
    @daizedoo

Yes'm! LA area to be exact but am a Nor Cal transplant :) I didn't see any there but it's definitely possible. https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Plum-Sauce/

• Nor Cal here too!
    I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU

I'm too lazy to make my own sauce. I think I've seen it at Safeway, will try it sometime!

• Or the next time you order take away, ask for a ton of extra sauce and stick it in the fridge! 

• bdazzld said:

Or the next time you order take away, ask for a ton of extra sauce and stick it in the fridge! 

^^ This. I would not have condiments if it wasn't for this :p
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    image image
  • @hollmb‌ - the Naan is frozen. The Indian comes in slim boxes and inside is a pouch. The punjab Choli in the red box is my fave. The blue box is also good. In my store, it is on the same aisle as the pasta.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Yogurt Guac! Sooo good and so much lower calorie than regular guac! Also their yogurt and kale dip is good too...

Orange chicken (with the jasmine rice that is great and takes only 3 minutes to microwave)

Cinnamon graham crackers

I have found things like organic peanut butter and fruit spread (no added sugar) are cheaper here. I like that while not always healthier in terms of calories/fat they have at least no preservative less ingredient food for more reasonable prices than places like whole foods.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"