Breastfeeding
Options

Low supply question

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this board but not the bump. My daughter is 19 days old. I was and still am hoping to exclusively breastfeed but we are having some major difficulties and I need some support and advice.

I was on antibiotics (gbs positive) and iv fluids with the antibiotics for 29 hours while in the hospital. I also hemorrhaged post partum and was given more fluids.

My daughter is still not back at her birth weight and there were concerns about her intake despite an appropriate number of wet and dirty diapers and typical behaviour. A 24 hour period of weighed feeds indicated she is getting about 1/2 ounce of breast milk per feeding so I was told to supplement with formula as I had not yet started pumping to get breast milk for her to use.

My lactation consultant just started me on domperidone to increase my supply. I am also going to start pumping when I give her formula to try and boost my supply more. I have also been taking fenugreek and will add blessed thistle to that today.

Does anyone have experience taking domperidone? If so, did it work for you and how long did it take to kick in? Were you able to wean off or did you have to keep taking it the whole time you breast fed?

Thank you in advance. I am having a really hard time not being able to breastfeed effectively and have literally been bawling on and off since I found out yesterday afternoon.

Re: Low supply question

• Options
    My last LO lost 12% of her body weight, and it took her 3 weeks to regain up to her birth weight. My ped's office has an NP who is also an LC. She was following her closely, and my LO was also having enough wet/poop diapers. She suggested I supplement with pumped BM. I did have to do some formula here and there, but I was able to get her off the formula and up to her birth weight. I struggled keeping up my supply for the first 6 weeks, but once I made it through that last growth spurt, I was fine and completely EBF. I tried a supplement from Earth Fare which was supposed to help, but I didn't think it helped at all.  I ate oatmeal all the time, and I think that did help.  GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    1/2oz per feed at 12 days isn't that crazy low... And "birth weight" is inflated due to all the fluids pumped into many laboring mamas. So I'd keep an eye on it, but wouldn't panic. It's easier said than done. I'm a FTM and our pedi freaked us out with the same stuff. We did supplement, for 8ish weeks. I had low supply due to retained placenta and my girls didn't suck very well. If I am lucky enough to have a 3rd, I'd be much less likely to supplement, knowing what I know now.

Yes, I also took Domperidone (you are so lucky to live somewhere where it's easy to get and recommended by medical professionals!) and attribute my ability to EBF from 8ish weeks-7 mos (when we started solids in addition to BM).

So tl;dr, having been in your shoes, I'd be reluctant to jumping to formula supplementation just yet as long as you know that there is nothing wrong medically with you or the baby. Hang in there!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! Just out of curiosity, what dose of domperidone were you on when you noticed it was working? I was reading dr jack Newman's site/advice and he recommends a higher dose than I was prescribed
  • Options
    3-4 10mg tabs 3x/day
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"