October 2014 Moms
Options

Obsessive Thinking - Anxiety

Maybe this is one for the randoms thread, but is anyone else hyper focused on one particular thing and it runs like a soundtrack that's looped in your head?  How weird does that sound.  I sound like a freak.  My over-analytical self has decided that there's so much unpredictability with the baby coming and I can't focus on that too much or I'll go crazy, so instead I've been obsessively thinking about my son's baseball.  He got on a local elite team this year and he's the least experienced, bottom of the totem pole.  It's like I have plays running through my mind constantly, going over what he did, what his coaches told him to do.  I never even played sports when I was a kid.  I keep my mouth shut to him because I don't want to make him crazy, I'm not normally this psycho about their activities, but I am having a hard time making it stop.  Does this make sense to anyone, or am I having a freak fest all by myself?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Obsessive Thinking - Anxiety

• Options
    I agree with Purp that you should see someone if you are concerned about anxiety. I would recommend both a doctor and some counseling. And I will also say that's it's not the healthiest thing to be calling yourself a freak or a psycho. Try being a little more gentle with yourself. Best of luck!

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Spurp13...I didn't take it the wrong way.  Actually, I had a bought of depression earlier in the pregnancy and I did see someone a couple of times.  I was actually doing much better by the time that I made the appt. and saw her, but I wanted to create a relationship with someone just in case.  I will talk to my OB on Thursday about it, too, as I don't FEEL particularly anxious now, it's just that my mind seems to be hyper focused on this one thing.  But, with two older kids and a newborn to take care of, I'm not going to mess around if I"m feeling like things are off.  Thanks for being candid.

@Sarahgoeswest...the "freak" and "psycho" were meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek.  I truly don't feel I'm either of those things...well, not more than anyone else around me in my daily life.  ;)
  • Options
    @Spurp13...I didn't take it the wrong way.  Actually, I had a bought of depression earlier in the pregnancy and I did see someone a couple of times.  I was actually doing much better by the time that I made the appt. and saw her, but I wanted to create a relationship with someone just in case.  I will talk to my OB on Thursday about it, too, as I don't FEEL particularly anxious now, it's just that my mind seems to be hyper focused on this one thing.  But, with two older kids and a newborn to take care of, I'm not going to mess around if I"m feeling like things are off.  Thanks for being candid.

@Sarahgoeswest...the "freak" and "psycho" were meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek.  I truly don't feel I'm either of those things...well, not more than anyone else around me in my daily life.  ;)
    Good! I'm glad to know you are getting a jump on things now!
  • Options
    SPurp13 said:
    I had a bout of depression...I didn't buy any depression.  Apparently I've forgotten my grammar!
    I like you.
    If you know when to appropriately use "there" and "their", which I bet you do, then I like you, too!  :)  Plus, you gave me good advice.  Bonus!
  • Options
    I second what Purp said. I have a family member with OCD, the real kind, and with it his thoughts basically get into a loop and he has a really hard time breaking away from them and focusing on other subjects. Stress and high anxiety situations seem to exacerbate the OCD, even when it's mild outside of high stress situations. I would definitely talk to someone. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    I have obsessive thoughts that loop and I can't get them out of my head. My psychologist said this can worsen after the baby is born and actually be really dangerous in some circumstances for baby and mom. Be sure to talk to someone who will be around you - SO, parent, friend etc so they know to look for these thoughts and any off behaviors. 

Hope that speaking to a therapist before baby is born will be helpful for you!

• Options
    Oh and I know you were joking/being tongue in check about the "psycho" part, but it is a bit offensive. I feel crazy sometimes and thinking that I am legitimately losing control of my mind and emotions is terrifying. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I would just be careful of word choice.

• Options
    I don't deal with this, but my sister dealt with obsessive thoughts/anxiety towards the end of each of her pregnancies and during the first few months pp.  My sister does have a history of some depression/anxiety.  Keep your dr. and partner in the loop, so they can be looking for further warning signs.  Also, my sister and her DH established a specific nighttime feeding routine with their kids because they found the midnight to 5 AM period to be really imperative for my sister to sleep, so she power pumped during the day, and her DH would take any wakings from midnight to 5, so she could get sleep.  I know before they established this, she literally didn't sleep for nearly 4 days straight.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    @MrsSarahRenee‌ ...the thoughts looping, that's exactly the way I'd describe it. Will definitely talk to ob on Thursday. As for the language use...point totally taken. Wasn't thinking of it from all angles. @bennikki‌ ...thanks for that input. It's something DH and I will need to figure out. Way back in March we actually did a ton of research and decided to get someone in to help us at night a few nights/week for a couple of months. This is #3 but we are 10 years older, DH has had significant health problems in the last couple of years and has a stressful work situation. We realize we are super fortunate that we can do this...hoping it'll be a big help. I think she'll put us on a schedule and then we'll figure out who gets to sleep when.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"