December 2014 Moms
Options

Upper back pain on one side

I've been having upper back pain on my left side, towards the middle of my back, just to the side of my ribs, that worsens during the day and is pretty unbearable by the end. I think it has to do with sitting all day. I have a maternity belt I got on Amazon, but I don't think it's the right type of support since it's placed on the lower back and my pain is localized much higher. I get some relief from pressing my upper back against the lumbar support pad I have on my desk chair, but otherwise I can't seem to escape the discomfort. I'm sure lying on my back might help, but I'm in a cubicle at work so it's just not feasible. 

I'm going to call my OB about this, and I have a massage scheduled for Saturday, but if anyone has any tips that have helped them, I'd be so grateful to hear them! 
BabyFruit Ticker

December '14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel in Third Trimester 

Re: Upper back pain on one side

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I have the same thing. Mine is due to a rib being pushed out of place (in the front) which affects the ribs in the back. It causes the nerves to become inflamed and nerve pain is different from other pain. Mine is an intense burning sensation. Nothing really helps, except for laying down. Standing is better than sitting though. Sitting seems to push the baby up into my ribs which makes it worse. I am very short waisted and have dealt with this all three pregnancies. 
    That being said, make sure and talk to your doctor--they may be able to offer suggestions.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds like typical "pregnancy discomfort".  I'd try a chrio.  Couldn't hurt to make sure everything is aligned correctly. 

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• Options
    I'm a huge fan of acupuncture.  The relief lasts longer for me than the chiro does.

my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Acu, chiro and massage.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had this problem with DS. My OB told me it was from the added weight being carried in the front and I was tending to slouch a lot more. I found the best relief for me was a bath and then heating pad on low followed by a massage from DH.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    BrainCellSupBrainCellSup member
    edited September 2014
    shinycat said:
    Yoga really can help a lot. Especially for us chair sitters! Hope you feel better.
    I'm guessing it's not entirely unrelated that this has cropped up after 2 weeks of missing my regular yoga class. 
    birdytn said:
    I have the same thing. Mine is due to a rib being pushed out of place (in the front) which affects the ribs in the back. It causes the nerves to become inflamed and nerve pain is different from other pain. Mine is an intense burning sensation. 
    Mine is like this, the burn! And it is definitely exacerbated by sitting. Maybe I'm short-waisted as well--I think my yoga teacher mentioned that to me once but it was pre-pregnancy and I didn't think much of it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions of seeing a chiropractor and for acupuncture--these are two methods I haven't tried and will definitely look into. I've actually never been to a chiropractor or an acupuncturist, so I'm intrigued!
    Are you sure it's back pain and not heartburn?
    Edited to add: This hadn't crossed my mind--I've been having pretty bad heartburn and didn't think about how it could be related. I'll bring it up with my doc--I was prescribed protonix and took it for a few weeks but I worried about the effect on the baby so stopped taking it (the heartburn wasn't as bad, so it seemed a reasonable adjustment).

Also, unrelated to the post, I love all of your Halloween free-for-all pictures! I need to come up with one myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    SLC1102 said:
    Any chance you can sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair (or at least for part of the day)?  I've heard that can help.
    I think I could do this. For a while I was sitting on an inflatable disk to keep my muscles active, maybe I'll try going back to that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"