February 2015 Moms

need an opinion

im a single mom to a 6 year old girl and am due in February, the dad to this one hasnt been around but likes tp try and give opinions, my daughter helped me pick out a name and hes mad about that, is it wrong of me to ask my daughter what name she wants for a sister? By the way she helped me choose the name Alyviah Kaydance Rose, hes mad because my daughter helped me choose, and he suggested rose so i did include a suggestion of his. What would you all do in this situation? Just curious because i think its a beautiful name and i think having my daughter help pick the name gives her pride in helping

Re: need an opinion

• I dislike the spelling but it's a beautiful name. I say keep the name because if the dad hasn't been around then there's a good chance that he will continue to not be around but your daughter will be there the whole time. I have no personal experience so others who are more experienced than me may have better advice. I do love the name and I wish you good luck with this.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you thats what i thought too, i know my daughter will always be here
  • Loading the player...
  • I prefer traditional names or at least traditional spellings.

I don't really have an opinion on who should have a say in the name choice. I mean technically, it is entirely up to you. You could ask for his opinion just so he doesn't feel left out I suppose.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Ok thank you guys my oldest daughter us Shavelle Joy-Mahrie
  • Don't worry about him. No help with the rough stuff, no input on the fun stuff I say. But i had no idea how to say the first name. I was saying it like "ally-v-uh". That is soooo complicated for the little girl to spell!
  • It's a pretty name but I agree with the other PP, please spell it differently. Before sugar posted I had no idea what it was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PP on the spelling of the name. He shouldn't get a say if he's not around, besides your older Daughter will love being a part of the decision! However, if you are financially dependent on him I do think his opinion matters a little more (like a tiny bit more). Otherwise, who cares?
  • I say go with daughters name choice. He's not around so he should not get that big of a say.

To be honest, I had no idea how to pronounce the name until Sugar posted. Not a fan of names spelled in a unique manner. Your child is going to be constantly correcting her name her entire life.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Even after pps mentioned Olivia, I scrolled back and still couldn't get it. My opinion is that the spelling is doing a very nice name an enormous disservice. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would spell them correctly it took me forever to figure out the first name. I think it's amazing you included your daughter in something so special and important. If he's not around he has no say

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If he hasn't been around, he really doesn't get a say. There is no parenting when it's convenient. I also suggest changing the spelling. I didn't know you were going for Olivia until I read the comments. 
  • I was thinking the same way as PPs. I got Kaydance (Cadence), but was totally lost on Alyiviah. I get that its a beautiful sounding name(s), but you and she will be constantly correcting people. I'm Stephanie, and people still muck it up. And that's a common spelling. Maybe Olivia Kaydance Rose?

It makes it even more special that big sister helped pick it out.
  • I also had no idea what the name was. Now that I know, I love it. I love Olivia
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Trin42 that is very cute, i just like unique spellings, :) Thank you everyone for the opinions it helps to know what other people think
  • A great post on why spelling matters.  I think you should take a look.  

Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • As someone with a unique spelled name DONT DO IT. Olivia is perfectly beautiful. Alyiah is terrrryble,
  • I agree that if the father has very little to do with this baby then it should be your decision what you name the baby.

I also agree that Olivia and Cadence are far superior choices for spelling. Using weird spellings just seems like asking for your daughter to have trouble with spelling and pronunciation through out her life.
    imageimageimage
                                     **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"