September 2012 Moms
Options

Anyone have a will?

DH and I haven't done anything legal after having DS. My parents know that if something were to happen to both of us they would get full rights to DS. However we're going on vacation out of the country without DS in December and I'm starting to think having a will would be the best idea in case something were to happen. I was looking at Legal Zoom. Anyone have experience with it? Would you go there, another website, personal attorney? TIA!

Re: Anyone have a will?

• Options
    We have a will.  The biggest reason we have one is custody vs. money.  If anything happened to us, our kids would get all our money whether we had a will or not (I'm not a lawyer, just what I understood when we met with ours).  I never want there to be any confusion on where our kids should reside, or put them through any legality so a will is the best way I can secure that for them.

We did ours through a family law firm.  However, we got a discount through a pre-paid legal program at work.  Before I decided on that, I looked into legal zoom.  It looked like a reasonable option to me.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I would suggest if there is money or property involved to go through a lawyer.  

We don't have one, but need to work on one before DH's transplant.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We both got wills when DS was a newborn, and we went through a local attorney. They lay out what happens if one or both of us dies, who gets our children, who handles finances and paperwork. There is a guardian and back-up guardian appointed for the kids. No way would I want to risk the fighting that could ensue over care of children and appropriation of money. We actually need to update ours in the near future bc we will change the guardian from my mom to my brother/SIL.

• Options
    DH did ours using a free template online, he then had his dad (a real-estate lawyer) look it over. We really need to update it to include DD2...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We used a lawyer. I would suggest you make sure they have a power of attorney for medical decisions for your DS in case something happens to him while you are away. We did this for my parents when they moved here.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    We also used a lawyer and just worded everything so that it would apply to any future children as well.  They can walk you through everything- guardianship, the financial nitty gritty, setting up a trust for your kids and when your kids have access to the funds (if any are left after they're raised,) and whether you need any POAs.  Even if you weren't traveling, I'd set up a will because it would make the transition easier legally if anything happened to you- it would be faster for those paying for a funeral and raising your kids to access the money, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm going to talk to DH and see what route he wants to take. I agree HMP the POA is a big thing to have while we're gone.

• Options
    We have not done one yet, but my brother is an attorney and said he would put together the papers for us.  I think i need to follow up on that...

but we just wanted to get it together so that if something God forbid were to happen to both of us DS would go to my brother.  As well as to tie up the financial issues.  I think if it were not for DS we would worry about one at this time...
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"