Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Daycare-Bumps on forehead

Hi everyone, we recently put our DD who is 15months in daycare for 2day program. In the past 3 weeks she has had 2 bruises on her forehead. The daycare is certified one & we pay a lot of money for just 2 days. My DD is very adventurous & courageous but she is not jumping off chairs or anything. I have spoken to the daycare about it to the head teacher & director but they all say it is common- in a very calm voice. In my head I am saying it takes a lot for me to bring her here & trust her in their hands. Hubby is going to write a strong email to the director about this.

What has your experience been w/daycare & bruises?

Thanks! 

Re: Daycare-Bumps on forehead

• Options
    I'm also in the camp of that's completely in the realm of normal and you're reaction is a bit over the top.  I understand if it's your first experience having someone else care for your child to be a bit concerned but 5 or more toddlers in the room together often makes for some shenanigans and even the best of teachers doesn't have multiple sets of eyes.  Heck, my kid gets more bruises on my watch than when he's at school.  Unless you have other concerns about the school that you didn't mention, I think it's just a kid thing and nothing that requires a strongly worded email from your husband.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi all, thanks for the responses- as being a 1st time mom & her first time at daycare I wanted to know if I was overreacting. I did get 2 accident reports & they advised the details of it. My concern is more about the bumps/bruises... I guess I need to understand these things happen.... 

• Options
    I guess then I'm really not clear what the issue is.  You received the reports so you know how they happened.  Did the cause involve negligence or something sinister?  I do get it - it's tough when your kid goes to daycare the first time and you're dealing with a mobile child going, which presents different concerns than parents of newborns.  But you have to realize that a lot can be different at daycare without it being wrong or without her being in any real danger.  

If you think about it, what were you and your husband hoping for by talking to them and writing the letter?  That's a genuine question because it might help you work through what is and isn't a realistic expectation.  She WILL get hurt.  You want to make sure you have providers who aren't ignoring safety concerns but a room full of kids = room full of potential for minor situations.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I'm home with my toddler one-on-one 90% of the week, and he still winds up with bumps, scrapes and bruises that I cannot always account for. I wouldn't worry about that minor stuff unless your kid is showing up with majorly disturbing marks or you otherwise suspect abuse.
  • Options
    I suspect this is not just about going to day care, but a combo of being in a room with other wobbly kids and her age. She's at the age where she's going to try to do more and more in her own, which means more bumps and bruises. My son is 21 months and it feels like for the past 6 months there hasn't been a day when he hasn't had a bruise it scratch. Just part of being a toddler.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you I did not see it this way... my daughter is quite adventurous & fearless.... :)
  • Options

I would consider it normal. Beyond daycare, just part of growing up!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"