August 2014 Moms

Experience with Silent Reflux

After my other post (phlegm in throat), I'm starting to think that LO might have silent reflux.  A few things I've noticed that might be symptoms include:
A lot of phlegm in her throat (especially at night after being on her back for a while)
Gagging (sometimes directly after a feeding, sometimes an hour or so later)
Sounding hoarse and congested
Clearing throat
Constantly wanting to eat/being fussy
Squirminess after eating at times
Hiccuping 
She has her 2 month checkup on Friday, so I'm going to talk to the doctor (I might try to get an appointment earlier if I can).  Before then, I think I'll try cutting out dairy since I know it takes a few weeks (which is going to be insanely hard with my love of cheese).  

For those who have dealt with reflux, if you breastfeed, did you have success by modifying your diet?  Was your LO put on medication?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Experience with Silent Reflux

• Sounds about right, though the fussy after eating was all out distress crying and screaming after every feeding- and he just wanted to eat more because his tummy/esophagus hurt.

I tried cutting out dairy 15 days ago now and had no luck whatsoever. LO is on Zantac (a low dose for his weight) and it helps a lot, though not completely. He still has his gurgling and minimal spit up that he usually swallows back down.

What helps the most is frequent feedings, laid back nursing position, burping between breasts during the feeding, keeping him upright for 20 minutes post feed, sleeping in an incline. The Zantac just helps to keep him from that blood curdling scream cry- which is helpful in its own right.

Oh and we keep our house littered in burp cloths for those random spit ups that make it out.

Good luck. It's frustrating at times but not the worst thing to deal with. And they out grow it soon enough. Everyone tells me that they barely remember it by the time the kid is a year old. Momnesia at it's best.
  • WhitEm14WhitEm14 member
    edited September 2014
    Not that I post here a lot, but my little guy has reflux and is on Zantac now. We do more upright feedings and he's elevated almost all the time. Huge help! Cutting out dairy didn't help me either. I was so hesitant to use the meds, but he's a different baby. So happy. Talk with your pedi and don't leave anything out that you've tried and all kinds of symptoms that you are experiencing. It gives them the most clues and allows you to try something else before going to meds if need be. Good luck and hang in there! I know how you feel :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Reflux here too. We FF and switching to Nutramigen has helped the most.

• I suspect my LO has this too - almost all of these symptoms apply to him. I'm listening to him making hoarse little sounds right now. I'm glad you've been posting these threads!
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"