Breastfeeding

Micronor (mini pill) while breast feeding/pumping?

Has anyone taken Micronor while breast feeding or pumping? I'm exclusively pumping and my baby is 3 months old. My OB gave me a prescription for Micronor but I've heard that it can cause some strong side effects and that you also don't bleed while on it (so it would be hard to know if it's preventing pregnancy).  My cycle hasn't returned yet, so I'm debating on waiting until it does to start taking it or wait all together to go back on a combination pill once I'm done pumping. Any thoughts or feedback?

Re: Micronor (mini pill) while breast feeding/pumping?

• i got a prescription for the mini pill, but never ended up taking it- i didn't really want to be getting the hormones while BFing (and was concerned about it hurting my supply, although supposedly it doesn't for most women), plus i was worried that being sleep-deprived, i wouldn't remember to take it at the same time each day. you could certainly use condoms until you got your period back and then start on the mini pill. for us, it was easier to just use condoms- i am still BFing DS so that's what we've continued to use.
  • I never had a supply drop with it, and used it from 7 weeks post-partum until DD was about 13 months old (then switched back to my regular pill).  Didn't have a post-partum period until she was 9 months old.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been on the mini-pill since 6 weeks PP (LO is now 16 months).  I didn't notice any drop in my supply.  I had no period until 12 months PP when I started having some intermittent spotting.  In the past 2 months I have had spotting and heavier bleeding more like a period at irregular intervals.  But we have decreased nursing sessions significantly over the past few months.  When I first started the mini-pill I did set an alarm on my phone to remember to take it but I don't do that now.
  • My midwife prescribed me Jencycla which I have been taking since about seven weeks postpartum. I haven't noticed a supply drop, nor have I had any side effects with it. My midwife assured me that it would not decrease my milk supply and that the hormones would not get into the milk. She said that the primary hormone in the mini pill is progesteron, which is also the primary hormone in your body when you are breastfeeding. I am exclusively BFing and my little guy is now 5 months. No period yet.

Unless you are wanting to get pregnant soon (whenever you start ovulating again), you should use some kind of birth control. You will ovulate before you have your first period.
  • I'm on the May 2014 moms board and there are like two or three chicks who got pg on the mini pill...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"