May 2014 Moms

Breastfeeding and supplementing. Help!!!

So a few weeks ago LO went from three 4oz bottles a day at DC to four 5oz bottles. My stash is almost gone so today was our first day with supplementing. Just tried a little. She had one 3oz bottle of bm and then a 2oz bottle of formula. Apparently only ate about a half ounce of the formula. Kept gagging on it, crying and finally just fell asleep.

Re: Breastfeeding and supplementing. Help!!!

• Awww. Poor baby. I hear you - DD went from the 12 oz to 20 oz over night. I'm still able to meet her demand, but can't freeze anything anymore. 

I haven't supplemented, but from my understanding, you should try and mix the BM and formula together so she can get used to it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks So much for the tips ladies!! Makes me so nervous!! We will try mixing some to see how that goes! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Assuming that you have already checked with your ped about what type of formula to use for supplementing, I would try mixing together. That's what I have always done with my LO and we haven't had any issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    edited September 2014
    Same thing happened to me. My LO wasnt happy with the formula at first got used to it quickly. I did not mix but that sounds like a good idea. You probably want to look at a formula that is specifically for supplimenting.
    Also expect changes to the poo as PP said. It's smellier and greener...
    Good luck!
  • Pedi gave me samples of enfamil for supplementing to try and that's what she had today... I've heard different brands taste different so sometimes it's good to just try a different brand if they are still resisting? Hoping she will just get used to it!! With my supply, pretty soon she's going to have to do one formula bottle so hopefully she'll catch on! :)
  • P.S. Not excited about the poop change lol
  • I have given Baby's Only on occasion - she took it just fine. I know it say's "Toddler Formula" on it, but it is perfectly safe for our babies.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• I started supplementing a little two weeks ago because I was having a hard time keeping up. My LO hasn't had a problem so far. I started by mixing it together and then now he will take a small bottle of formula after breast milk and he drinks it right down. I am using similac supplementing formula. Oddly enough, I started producing more milk when I finally gave in and supplemented. I think the pressure was off and I could relax a bit. He doesn't need much formula but I am happy to have that option available if I need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"