Trouble TTC a Sibling

potty training fears

I know this board is more about ttc, but I am wondering if any of you can give me advice on a potty training issue. Kat is 2 and 5 months, and she does pretty well at home using the potty, she has some accidents and won't poop there yet but pull ups are great, in public though, as soon as we walk into an unfamiliar bathroom she screams and cries, the kid sounds like she's being beaten its so bad. Should I just force her to go in with me every time we're out, and make her get over it? I just don't know how to handle this. She does this at my parents house and dhs parents house too.

Re: potty training fears

• uromysuromys member
    edited September 2014

DD showed interest in the potty when she was 20 month and so I ran with it. Of course not expecting her to be pro anytime soon. However she did master pooping on the toilet first. What a relief! Today she's completely potty trained, but still doesn't like some public toilets. The way I've solved it is carrying a potty seat in the back of the car. It has come in handy more times then I can count. Once she gets upset with the idea of a public restroom I cant get her anywhere near it. Sometimes bribery works. DD loves marshmallows!

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Bat_Ish_CrazyBat_Ish_Crazy member
    edited September 2014

If you find a solution, I'd love to hear it.  DD just gave herself a UTI holding her bladder for a 5 hour car ride. She refused to use a pull-up and refused to use a public restroom.  Day to day, we just make sure she uses the restroom before we leave the house to go someplace.  For our next 5 hour visit to see family at Thanksgiving, we'll restrict fluids until we get there. I plan to revisit the public restroom when she is a little older.

She acts like we traumatized her. Every time I pull up to a gas station now, she declares that she doesn't need to use the restroom.

ETA: She refuses the portable potties, but I keep one in the trunk just in case.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Me: 28, DH: 33
    Conceived DD in <1yr w/o assistance
    TTC#2 since 11/2013
    DX: PCOS
    Benched pending conf of Rubella immunity
    Next Cycle: CLOMID round 1

• Loading the player...
  • I have a 3yo boy who seems to have the opposite problem so I don't have first hand experience. My idea would be for you to take her with you to any and all public restrooms you encounter and let her watch you void. If you act like its no big deal or even throw your self a party for using the restroom in public maybe she will be more willing to try. Think: Monkey see, Monkey do.
    DH and I-married since Aug 2008
    DS born Sept 2011
    TTC #2 since Nov 2013
    DH: SA=excellent
    ME: Low AMH, High FSH= Decreased Ovarian Reserve
    Repeat HSG Dec 8th, hoping to start treatment in Jan 2015

• Thanks! I'm going to try some of these the next time we're out and about. I just don't get what's so terrifying about a bathroom!!
  • Thanks @lemonblossom3 it's definitely trying my sanity!! I think part of the problem is that we don't use a potty chair, we use a potty ring that sits in the toilet, which unfortunately isn't made to fit into the u shaped seats very well. I'll have to give peer pressure a try maybe that's the kick in the pants she needs! :D
  • Hi! Our DD had this same issue - the automatic flushers are what set her off. Is your LO talking much yet? If so, you might try and find out what is scary and have conversations about it being ok to be scared about things but leaning how to be brave is a big kid thing to do. It worked for us - but all kiddos are different. Potty training was NOT my favorite thing. :)
  • She is a talker, her biggest fear is that it's too loud, but that only explains the public fear and not the fear of toilets at my parents or my in laws. I'm hoping to try just making her get over it and going from there. Potty training is definitely not fun for anyone!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"